GPM-1.09 & X ( trying to use GPM as mouse )

GPM-1.09 & X ( trying to use GPM as mouse )

Post by pureind.. » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hello , have tried to use gpm as a mouse repeater for X11R6 but
Config86 keeps saying /dev/mouse is character device ??

TIA
Alex.

Post by Dave Thaye » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Hello , have tried to use gpm as a mouse repeater for X11R6 but
>Config86 keeps saying /dev/mouse is character device ??

Use /dev/gpmdata instead. You will have to start gpm with the -R flag.

dave t.
--
Dave Thayer
Denver, Colorado USA

Post by William McBri » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Hello , have tried to use gpm as a mouse repeater for X11R6 but
: Config86 keeps saying /dev/mouse is character device ??

You don't want it to use /dev/mouse anymore... Here's a section from my
XF86Config file:

Section "Pointer"

#    Protocol    "PS/2"
#    Device      "/dev/psaux"
    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
    Device      "/dev/gpmdata"

The first two lines are what I used to use, the next two are what,
coincidentally, I just changed it to yesterday, to use GPM as a repeater.
I start GPM in rc.local, with "gpm -R -t ps2". (My /dev/mouse is a sym
link to psaux, but I don't know if that makes a difference.)

Everything seems to work fine, except that now, when starting X, the last
line of console output is:

  Warning: unable to get status of mouse fd (Invalid argument)

I was just about to post a question about this when I saw this thread.
Should I be concerned about this warning? What does it mean? GPM and X
both work. Last night, I got an error dump from GPM when shutting down
Linux -- a listing of registers, something I hadn't seen before in Linux,
although it looked a lot like the screens I get in OS/2 when "The system
has halted" with an error. :-/ But the shutdown continued, and everything
seemed fine.

--
William McBrine    | http://www.clark.net/pub/wmcbrine/html/

GPM-1.09 & X ( trying to use GPM as mouse )

Post by Darin Ern » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

See http://www.castle.net/X-notebook for a mini-howto on this.
Darin

1. Mouse/X Windows: GPM repeater (gpm -R, /dev/gpmdata) problem

I am attempting to get my 3-button, M$ protocol mouse to work properly
under X. I tried getting the mouse to switch to MouseSystems protocol
by the methods described in the HOWTO to no success (no jumpers
inside, and it ignores left button held on power-up). So, reading
further, I set up gpm as a "repeater" with

gpm -3 -R -t ms

And then modified XF86Config to use /dev/gpmdata with the 3-button
MouseSystems protocol. This works, except I cannot drag the middle
button (button 2.) If I attempt to to this, GPM will send one button-2
click, then a bunch of move messages, then another click when i
release button-2, through gpmdata.

How can I solve this? I could use either:

- A patch to GPM to send the right data
- A patch to X to use the 3-button extension to the MS protocol, like
  GPM does in console mode.

The latter would be preferred. I can't figure out why the feature
hasn't been incorporated into X yet. I'm using:

gpm 1.13
XFree86 3.3.1

--
please read: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
"cry me a bayou/and i'm leaving..." -tricky

2. X server crashing all of a sudden looking for 'fixed' font...

3. gpm-0.96 with the new gpm-root utility

4. Linux-based voice mail / answering machine?

5. IBM 350 w/Logi Mouse won't work gpm or X (tried psaux)

6. Getting 3 Machins to talk

7. Help with gpm-1.06 and two mice

8. Raid : some questions

9. gpm & x mouse errors.....Invalid argument?

10. Mouse & gpm problems

11. mouse & gpm

12. gpm & x mouse errors...Invalid argument?

13. Mouse (gpm) & MC