Full backup/restore?

Post by root » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

How does one do a full back and restore of a Linux installation?  I'm
going to try to upgrade Red Hat 6.2 to XFree86 v4.

I tried this once before and reached the point of preferring to
reinstall Linux rather than continue to try to get the upgrade (or
revert to prev version) to work.  Not that big a deal since the
installation was just a couple days old (I'm new to Linux).

So, IAC, what I want to be able to do is back up my current
configuration completely, and, if the upgrade fails, just restore off of
tape so that my setup is completely restored.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Full backup/restore?

Post by Lenny Shovsk » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

i would also love to know that. tar doesn't seem to back up all files and
directories.

> How does one do a full back and restore of a Linux installation?  I'm
> going to try to upgrade Red Hat 6.2 to XFree86 v4.

> I tried this once before and reached the point of preferring to
> reinstall Linux rather than continue to try to get the upgrade (or
> revert to prev version) to work.  Not that big a deal since the
> installation was just a couple days old (I'm new to Linux).

> So, IAC, what I want to be able to do is back up my current
> configuration completely, and, if the upgrade fails, just restore off of
> tape so that my setup is completely restored.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks

1. full backup and restore of sco unix

we use sco openserver 5 and sco 3.2v4.2 unix servers .
Is there any utility by which we can take a full backup and restore
the backup fully ie including the system related files.
we are currently using tar for taking full backup of the system.
but we have found out that if any server crashes and we try to restore
the full backup which we have taken after doing a minimum installation
ie basic O.S and configuring tape drive. The server does get restored to
original state as empty files are not backed up and character specific
and device files are not backed up.
we use 4mm dat tape for taking backup.

If we have to use cpio what is the syntax.

Also is there any utility which shows what all files the tape consists
of, anddo a selective backup also if we want to append to a tape which
alredy contains some data.

Thanks and Regards

Regards

siddarth

2. Make problems

3. Full restore from non-ufsdump's backup

4. recompiling kernel questions/problems

5. Trouble with restoring a full backup!!!

6. Apache perfomance and logs

7. Restore full system backup on new drive

8. connecting 2 computers over serial line

9. HELP: Full Backup and Restore of installed LINUX

10. Restoring From Full Back-Up

11. Full system backup/restore

12. Full Restore from backup and libc files

13. help. restoring a backup dump/restore