Looking for Home Automation

Post by Carl Swans » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am looking for expert information from other home automation
people out there. I am looking for a system with a lot of functionality
to control my home. Some features I am looking for include the following:

- Complete alarm system integration
- Relays digital/analog I/O control
- Phone control of system (outside and possibly within the home)
  - dialout capability due to events - pager integration
- X-10 interaction (at least as well as X-10 works in the
  - send and receive events)
- Voice integration (recognition and voice output)
- Controlled via computer (download to a processor is fine, but the
  prefered way is to keep computer control or monitoring possible
- Audio/video control throughout the house
- External house monitering (video, sensors, light levels, etc)
- Not Windoze compatible (DOS would be ok). I want to use this through
  Linux so some basic communication control would be nice. I want the
  ability to integrate with my on-line service for control via the web, via
  e-mail and alphanumeric pagers, etc. Also personally developed
  interfaces, etc.

Price is not necessarily an issue, I (and I'm sure many others) am looking
for a good, solid, reliable, upgradable system.

I've heard lots of talk about X-10, HCS III, etc, but I'm looking for
experienced information.

Anyone use/hear of/sell something like this? I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks, I look forward to some info. Email prefered.

Carl

--

Software Engineer - Motorola
Austin, TX

-

Post by Richard MacDona » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am looking for expert information from other home automation
>people out there. I am looking for a system with a lot of functionality
>to control my home. Some features I am looking for include the following:

>(snip)

>Carl

>--

>Software Engineer - Motorola
>Austin, TX

>-

There is a newsgroup dedicated to this subject. I don't recall the title but you
should be able to find it.

See my page at:
http://www.dimensional.com/~richmacd/bcbest.html for "Boulder County's Best"
(not to be confused with "The Best of Boulder")

Post by John Tayl » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am looking for expert information from other home automation
>people out there. I am looking for a system with a lot of functionality
>to control my home. Some features I am looking for include the following:
>- Complete alarm system integration
>- Relays digital/analog I/O control
>- Phone control of system (outside and possibly within the home)
>  - dialout capability due to events - pager integration
>- X-10 interaction (at least as well as X-10 works in the
>  - send and receive events)
>- Voice integration (recognition and voice output)
>- Controlled via computer (download to a processor is fine, but the
>  prefered way is to keep computer control or monitoring possible
>- Audio/video control throughout the house
>- External house monitering (video, sensors, light levels, etc)
>- Not Windoze compatible (DOS would be ok). I want to use this through
>  Linux so some basic communication control would be nice. I want the
>  ability to integrate with my on-line service for control via the web, via
>  e-mail and alphanumeric pagers, etc. Also personally developed
>  interfaces, etc.
>Price is not necessarily an issue, I (and I'm sure many others) am looking
>for a good, solid, reliable, upgradable system.
>I've heard lots of talk about X-10, HCS III, etc, but I'm looking for
>experienced information.
>Anyone use/hear of/sell something like this? I'd like to hear from you.
>Thanks, I look forward to some info. Email prefered.
>Carl
>--

>Software Engineer - Motorola
>Austin, TX

>-

I offer the complete plans to build an integrated security system with
8 zones, panic inputs, X-10 compatibility, telephone line interface,
adjustable entry- and exit-delays, and more.  Look for them at

http://www.mindspring.com/~jtaylor

Senior Engineer - Scientific Research Corporation
Atlanta, GA

Post by Bas van Ross » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am looking for expert information from other home automation
>people out there. I am looking for a system with a lot of functionality
>to control my home. Some features I am looking for include the following:
>- Complete alarm system integration
>- Relays digital/analog I/O control
>- Phone control of system (outside and possibly within the home)
>  - dialout capability due to events - pager integration
>- X-10 interaction (at least as well as X-10 works in the
>  - send and receive events)
>- Voice integration (recognition and voice output)
>- Controlled via computer (download to a processor is fine, but the
>  prefered way is to keep computer control or monitoring possible
>- Audio/video control throughout the house
>- External house monitering (video, sensors, light levels, etc)
>- Not Windoze compatible (DOS would be ok). I want to use this through
>  Linux so some basic communication control would be nice. I want the
>  ability to integrate with my on-line service for control via the web, via
>  e-mail and alphanumeric pagers, etc. Also personally developed
>  interfaces, etc.
>Price is not necessarily an issue, I (and I'm sure many others) am looking
>for a good, solid, reliable, upgradable system.
>I've heard lots of talk about X-10, HCS III, etc, but I'm looking for
>experienced information.
>Anyone use/hear of/sell something like this? I'd like to hear from you.
>Thanks, I look forward to some info. Email prefered.
>Carl
>--

>Software Engineer - Motorola
>Austin, TX

Check out:  www.circellar.com

And buy an issue of Circuit Cellar Ink (860) 875-2751.
If not for the articles, at least for the add's.

Bye,

Bas

Sanity is the worst form of insanity....

Post by Don H. Nelso » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I am looking for expert information from other home automation
> people out there. I am looking for a system with a lot of
> functionality

Check out:

http://www.circellar.com

They manufacture one and have links to other similar sites.

hope this helps

Don Nelson

Post by Lord Sir Intensity-Smyt » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am looking for expert information from other home automation
>people out there. I am looking for a system with a lot of functionality
>to control my home. Some features I am looking for include the following:

Well, I've seen such a system in action at the university[1] I study at.
It doesn't include all the features you list, but it certainly has many of
them,, including control through the internet.  The departmental homepage
is available through my homepage (look under the section on what I'm
studying, or mechatronics, or something like that.  I can't remember
exactly what I wronte there).  Anyway, my page is at:
        http://www.jcu.edu.au/~eng-amgs

The people you should try and find at the department are Noel Lovisa and
Simon Baird, in that order.  The project has its own web page which is
accesible from the Departmental homepage (I wish I could remember what the
specific URL is! - sorry).

[1]  The university in question is the James Cook University of North
Queensland, Australia.

   __________________________________   __________________________________
  /                                  \ /                                  \

 *  I'll kill your friends, Mom, all  *      ---=== INTENSITY ===---       *

  \__________________________________/ \__________________________________/

Post by Brian Frit » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >I am looking for expert information from other home automation
> >people out there. I am looking for a system with a lot of functionality
> >to control my home. Some features I am looking for include the following:

snip...

Quote:> >-
> There is a newsgroup dedicated to this subject. I don't recall the title but you
> should be able to find it.

Try alt.home.automation

Looking for Home Automation

Post by Kerz » Tue, 30 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>I am looking for expert information from other home
automation
>>people out there. I am looking for a system with a

lot of functionality
Quote:>>to control my home. Some features I am looking for

include the following:

you also might try http://smarthome.com/smarthome.
They sell all the hardware and software you would ever
need....they even supply a free catalog.

Looking for Home Automation

Post by Bob Purd » Tue, 30 Jul 1996 04:00:00

s,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.misc

: Try alt.home.automation

..and comp.home.automation (I've not seen the alt.h.a group actually)

Bob.

Looking for Home Automation

Post by John Lundgr » Tue, 30 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: >

: >
: > >I am looking for expert information from other home automation
: > >people out there. I am looking for a system with a lot of functionality
: > >to control my home. Some features I am looking for include the following:

: snip...

: > >-
: > There is a newsgroup dedicated to this subject. I don't recall the title but you
: > should be able to find it.

: Try alt.home.automation

Would you believe comp.home.automation ??

--
#===================================================================#

|    Rancho Santiago Community College District  |   deltanet.com   |
|     17th St at Bristol \ Santa Ana, CA 92706   | http://www.rancho|
| My opinions are my own, and not my employer's. |    .cc.ca.us     |
|   Most FAQs are available through Thomas Fine's WWW FAQ archive:  |
|http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu:80/hypertext/faq/usenet/FAQ-List.html|
|     "Babe Ruth struck out 1,330 times...  keep on swinging."      |
|     says the lid on the jar of Laredo & Lefty's Picante Salsa     |
#======P=G=P==k=e=y==a=v=a=i=l=a=b=l=e==u=p=o=n==r=e=q=u=e=s=t======#

Post by Bryan Moo » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> >I am looking for expert information from other home automation
> >people out there. I am looking for a system with a lot of functionality
> >to control my home. Some features I am looking for include the following:
>snip...
>Try alt.home.automation

Yup, and:

comp.home.automation