Double Entry Bookkeeping?

Post by Guy William Hayto » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I am after a money application that will allow a simple form of double
entry bookkeeping.  CBB (and my present Microsoft Money 97) are based on
standard bank accounts and use categories to see how much is spent in
each area.

I want to split my *one* bank account into a number of budgets
(mortgage, food, car...) where I can see overspends instantly. All of
the above packages are okay until I want to reconcile to statements, it
is at this time it all gets complicated as they only balance single
accounts. Certainly cbb doesn't seem to show correct balances until its
reconciled which is a further problem.

I am about to create a spreadsheet to do something which I am sure is a
pretty standard small business requirement... I cannot believe there is
not a gnu-type application that answers my problems?

Any suggestions welcomed...
--
Guy William Hayton
Manchester, England

Double Entry Bookkeeping?

Post by Brion Vibbe » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

[posted and mailed]

> I am after a money application that will allow a simple form of double
> entry bookkeeping.  CBB (and my present Microsoft Money 97) are based on
> standard bank accounts and use categories to see how much is spent in
> each area.

Try X-Accountant (http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~rclark/xacc/), I believe it does
double-entry bookkeeping.

Double Entry Bookkeeping?

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>> I am after a money application that will allow a simple form of double
>> entry bookkeeping.  CBB (and my present Microsoft Money 97) are based on
>> standard bank accounts and use categories to see how much is spent in
>> each area.

>Try X-Accountant (http://www.veryComputer.com/~rclark/xacc/), I believe it does
>double-entry bookkeeping.

Xacc isn't quite there yet; the "very alpha" edition does have the
beginnings of double-entry handling, but it's not yet stable code.
(They're still in the process of migrating from Motif to GTk...  It
takes a *little* time for that to happen...)

There are a number of more sophisticated packages out there, most
directed towards business applications.  See:
<http://www.veryComputer.com/~cbbrowne/finances.html> for pretty much
"the list."

The latest that I've heard of was advertised in the latest Linux

product literature on a system offering:
- Sales entry/invoicing
- Point of Sale
- Inventory Control
- Cash Disbur*ts