Best setup for Mud/chat serv?

Post by Brent M Clemen » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

HI all,
        I am currently running a mud/chat server with 20 megs of ram and a
cyrix 5x86-133mhz cpu. This server is currently coming to its limits.

Now...what would you all suggest as the best setup
for a Mud/Chat server within economical reason. I would also like to
factor in...future growth for the server. Suggestions Anyone?

Sincerly,
Brent Clements

Best setup for Mud/chat serv?

Post by Mark Godfre » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> : >HI all,
> : >     I am currently running a mud/chat server with 20 megs of ram and a
> : >cyrix 5x86-133mhz cpu. This server is currently coming to its limits.
> : >
> : >Now...what would you all suggest as the best setup
> : >for a Mud/Chat server within economical reason. I would also like to
> : >factor in...future growth for the server. Suggestions Anyone?

> :  In terms of its limits,  do you mean speed-wise?

> :  Adding more memory will help lots ;)

> :  The CPU should be fast enough to cope.

> Its coming to its limits overall system wise. I have about 30 users
> running two or three chat or muds programs each. I was wondering what
> would be the best economical setup for a new server.

        Ecomonical?  Prob,  ditch the CPU & motherboard and
        go down the SMP route ;)

        Try to get SCSI as it doesn't really tax the processor
        (nowhere near as much as EIDE / IDE)

        and finally,  memory.

        That's about all I can recommend as an economical upgrade,
        but as you can see,  it's gonna cost ;)

Mark.

Mark Godfrey BSc (Hons),            |  Work : +44 (0)1733 765005
Systems and Network Administrator   |
* Ware Ltd.                     |

Best setup for Mud/chat serv?

Post by Elf-Frien » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> >HI all,
> >       I am currently running a mud/chat server with 20 megs of ram and a
> >cyrix 5x86-133mhz cpu. This server is currently coming to its limits.

> >Now...what would you all suggest as the best setup
> >for a Mud/Chat server within economical reason. I would also like to
> >factor in...future growth for the server. Suggestions Anyone?

Upgrade your RAM. a 16 meg boost will probably do you for a while. Also,
check to make sure your swapfile is at least twice your RAM size (so if
you upgrade RAM, may want to increase swap)...

1. WEB Chat, Mud, Talker etc. for FreeBSD

Hi

Does anyone have any recomendations regarding the subject ?
Does anyone know of prebuild packages or ports ?

WEB Chat would propably be an apache based thing
Mud/Talker is u'r usual telnet chat/game server

The FreeBSD box in question is currently running 3.3-R and will soon
be upgraded to 3.4

The box has 1 permanent real IP and runs natd/ipfw on this  (no dial
up stuff) I do NOT have a domaine name.

TIA

Kristian

2. How to config a local nameserver?

3. Running a chat/mud type server on linux, help..

4. cciss 2.5.0 for 2.5.1-pre11

5. best IMAP4 serv for Linux?

6. id and password no longer working....

7. Running a chat/mud type server on linux, help...

8. Does redirection nuke the referer variable?

9. Looking for MUD software for Linux and also MUD FAQ

10. Best *nix for mud on legacy hardware?

11. SCO NFS cli, VMS NFS serv setup prob

12. PPP/CHAT: chat won't chat with modem, why?

13. Setup Question: I want to know the best way to setup an SMTP spooler for Exchange