Uptime rollover, How to tell real uptime?

Uptime rollover, How to tell real uptime?

Post by Dale March - PCD » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have a linux system running 1.2.8  gcc 2.6.3 compiled Dec 28 95
According to the var/adm/messages file it was last booted on
Jan. 2, 1996. This would put the uptime at around 800 days.

Somewhere after 460 days the uptime counter must have rolled over
as the uptime given with "w" started again with low numbers.

I know it was not rebooted as there are daemons running that I started
by hand and are not in scripts.

Is there a way to get the real uptime?

Also I plan to shut it down soon as I am getting scared of fire
hazard due to lots of dust. The internal fan went out a year ago
and I have hung another fan on the back for cooling.

Is this maybe a record uptime??
Dale

Phone:(916)356-5332                     I speak only for myself

Uptime rollover, How to tell real uptime?

Post by Douglas McNaugh » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a linux system running 1.2.8  gcc 2.6.3 compiled Dec 28 95
> According to the var/adm/messages file it was last booted on
> Jan. 2, 1996. This would put the uptime at around 800 days.

> Somewhere after 460 days the uptime counter must have rolled over
> as the uptime given with "w" started again with low numbers.

> I know it was not rebooted as there are daemons running that I started
> by hand and are not in scripts.

> Is there a way to get the real uptime?

The 32-bit jiffy counter (a jiffy is 0.01 second) rolls over at 497.1
days according to my trusty HP.  So add that figure to the number
reported by 'uptime' and you should be pretty close.

Quote:> Also I plan to shut it down soon as I am getting scared of fire
> hazard due to lots of dust. The internal fan went out a year ago
> and I have hung another fan on the back for cooling.

> Is this maybe a record uptime??

It's pretty damn good.  Don't know if it's a record.

-Doug
--
sub g{my$i=index$t,$_[0];($i%5,int$i/5)}sub h{substr$t,5*$_[1]+$_[0],1}sub n{(
$_[0]+4)%5}$t='encryptabdfghjklmoqsuvwxz';$c='fxmdwbcmagnyubnyquohyhny';while(

Post by George D » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

]Is this maybe a record uptime??

Very likely. Most of us would have had to re-boot to move to Linux 2 about 300
days ago, and then more recently to install those security patches and the fix
for land and teardrop.

1. Linux uptime rollovers.

--
Jim Richardson         http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
A bad day, is when aliens attack, the dog bites you, and your boss tells

2. Step up to the plate for SETI & PPC Linux

3. jiffies rollover, uptime etc.

4. connect 2 sockets

5. Red Hat 4.1 uptime rollover?

6. Using Sco box as email server

7. How does uptime.netcraft.com know my uptime?

8. problem installing macutils

9. here is a "real" uptime program

10. Segfaults on Server after long uptime using 2.2.x

11. longest uptime

12. How to check for uptime in KDE ?

13. Longest reported uptime??