Yost (was Re: dtr drop/mgetty)

Post by Kenneth J. Hendricks » Tue, 01 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I've got a homemade cable (rj-11 two conductor pin-out 2,3,7,20 jumpered
>to 5,8.)

Why?  8-wire telephone cables with RJ-45 connectors are cheap, and there
is a standard for wiring them up---the Yost standard.  The Yost standard
will allow you to directly connect *any* serial device to *any* other
serial device, with full modem control and hardware flow control.  Null
modems and special cables aren't ever needed again.  Check it out at:

        http://www-scf.usc.edu/~khendric/info/yost.html

--

"Prior planning must be done in advance."    --  Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/5

Yost (was Re: dtr drop/mgetty)

Post by Matthew Cummin » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: is a standard for wiring them up---the Yost standard.  The Yost standard
: will allow you to directly connect *any* serial device to *any* other
: serial device, with full modem control and hardware flow control.  Null

I checked out this yost standard, and then I laughed a bit.  See, what's
funny is that this standard is nothing but a bunch of adaptors that you
prewire and stick onto the end of the component you wish to hook a cable
too, it doesn't make anything simpler, and it's exactly how I currently use
serial cables right now.  Since I make my own cables I find that the yost
isn't cheaper for me, offers nothing new, and in fact the only difference is
that instead of a db9 or db25 connector on the the end you have a rj11.

The way I read your original article was that I could take 1 cable with no
adaptors and plug it into anything, you cannot.  I'm not cutting it down
mind you, just wanted to say that the yost standard isn't anything different
than what people have been doing for ages already, it just uses an rj11
connector instead of a rs232 style connector.

Your post didn't make that point clear enough for me to understand initially
and I thought maybe someone else might have the same difficulties.
--

Yost (was Re: dtr drop/mgetty)

Post by Kenneth J. Hendricks » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Since I make my own cables I find that the yost
>isn't cheaper for me, offers nothing new, and in fact the only difference is
>that instead of a db9 or db25 connector on the the end you have a rj11.

Well, an RJ-45 actually.  The big difference is the convience.  You
prewire all your adapters so that they always sit on the serial devices,
and do your thinking one time.  After that, you never worry about
needing gender changers, null modems, etc.  You have the convenience of
being able to plug in a standard 8-wire telephone cable with an RJ-45
jack to any serial device, and have the serial devices on both ends of
the wire talk to each other with no problem.  This convenience is nice.
It isn't cheaper, but it's not more expensive either.

Quote:>The way I read your original article was that I could take 1 cable with no
>adaptors and plug it into anything, you cannot.

Right.  You do have adapters, but you wire them up one time and never
think or worry about them again.  The adapters are permanently attached
to the devices that they are wired for.  The convenience comes when you
start re-arranging your equipment and connecting different devices
together.  Then it's worth it.

Quote:>it just uses an rj11 connector instead of a rs232 style connector.

An RJ-45.  And there is no such thing as an RS-232 style connector in
practice.  The RS-232 standard specifies a DB-25, but doesn't specify
gender if I remember correctly.  With the DB-25 connectors, you
constantly had to worry about gender changers, as well as null modems.
In addition, RS-232 connections are also quite common on DB-9
connectors, not to mention DB-15 connectors, and DIN-8 connectors.
With the Yost standard, you use RJ-45 connectors, which are always male
on the cable, and female on the devices.  You never need to worry about
gender changers or null modems; that convenience is worth something.

--

Post by Yost, Da » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: >Since I make my own cables I find that the yost
: >isn't cheaper for me, offers nothing new, and in fact the only difference is

I make my own cables, but I don't work cheap for anybody.

---

  My opinions are my own and not sanctioned by anyone else

The brain is a wonderful organ, it starts the minute you get up in the
morning and does not stop until you get to the office - Robert Frost

Yost (was Re: dtr drop/mgetty)

Post by Daniel.Favr » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Yost (was Re: dtr drop/mgetty)
>Date: 7 Aug 1995 19:56:34 -0500

>>Since I make my own cables I find that the yost
>>isn't cheaper for me, offers nothing new, and in fact the only difference is
>>that instead of a db9 or db25 connector on the the end you have a rj11.
>Well, an RJ-45 actually.  The big difference is the convience.  You
>prewire all your adapters so that they always sit on the serial devices,
>and do your thinking one time.  After that, you never worry about
>needing gender changers, null modems, etc.  You have the convenience of
>being able to plug in a standard 8-wire telephone cable with an RJ-45
>jack to any serial device, and have the serial devices on both ends of
>the wire talk to each other with no problem.  This convenience is nice.
>It isn't cheaper, but it's not more expensive either.
>>The way I read your original article was that I could take 1 cable with no
>>adaptors and plug it into anything, you cannot.
>Right.  You do have adapters, but you wire them up one time and never
>think or worry about them again.  The adapters are permanently attached
>to the devices that they are wired for.  The convenience comes when you
>start re-arranging your equipment and connecting different devices
>together.  Then it's worth it.
>>it just uses an rj11 connector instead of a rs232 style connector.
>An RJ-45.  And there is no such thing as an RS-232 style connector in
>practice.  The RS-232 standard specifies a DB-25, but doesn't specify
>gender if I remember correctly.  With the DB-25 connectors, you
>constantly had to worry about gender changers, as well as null modems.
>In addition, RS-232 connections are also quite common on DB-9
>connectors, not to mention DB-15 connectors, and DIN-8 connectors.
>With the Yost standard, you use RJ-45 connectors, which are always male
>on the cable, and female on the devices.  You never need to worry about
>gender changers or null modems; that convenience is worth something.
>--

>"Prior planning must be done in advance."    --  Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/5

1. dtr drop/mgetty

Strange wiring. Besides, dtr is *not* always high (when no process has the
device open, the kernel will lower it).

Wrong. Mgetty doesn't care for DCD (login does, but that's another
matter). I've run mgetty on null modem cables, with DCD wired to DTR
of the remote machine, thus having DCD high all the time, and it worked
fine.

The problem you're experiencing is - likely - another one. If DCD goes
high, and then returns to low (because of a DTR drop, which is exactly
what mgetty is doing!), the kernel wil disallow any further access to that
device (I/O error) -- so, _with_your_wiring_, mgetty *cannot* respawn.

Nah. It should work if you have DTR *not* drop.

read the mgetty.texi file, and (more important) the file BUGS.

If you had told us the mgetty version number, I could have told you how to
play with the DTR toggling. I assume you're running 0.22, and in that case
you'll have to grep the source code (mgetty.c or mg_m_init.c, can't
remember) for a variable called "toggle_dtr" and set it to FALSE. Default
is TRUE.

gert
--
Yield to temptation ... it may not pass your way again!  --  Lazarus Long
                                                            //www.muc.de/~gert

2. fsck reports error! Can't mount! Help!

3. DCD Drops, then DTR Drops, Want to Increase Delay (SLIP)

4. Netscape/cooltalk

5. Manually drop DTR ?

6. Dynamic SLIP configuring...

7. Can't seem to lower DTR for modem (Mgetty-0.20)

8. USB CD-RW with Sun Blade 100?

9. ioctl dropping DTR

10. Dropping Modem DTR without killing the shell

11. Dropping DTR over Asynch Serial Comm

12. How to drop DTR in NetBSD?

13. modems under delay not dropping DTR on 3003