OpenOffice multiple printers again

Post by Gerhard W. Grube » Mon, 12 May 2003 06:38:52

I just downloaded the 1.0.3.1 and I still can't see any other printers in the
dialog. Is there some special command or how does OO determine the printers on
the system? I would expect it looks in /etc/printcap because that's where my
printers are configured, but maybe there is another method how OO determines
the printers? When I open the print dialog I can only see "Generic Printer" in
the combobox.

--
Gerhard Gruber

Fr jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache L?sung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)

OpenOffice multiple printers again

Post by Thomas Zaji » Mon, 12 May 2003 20:24:19

Quote:> I just downloaded the 1.0.3.1 and I still can't see any other printers
> in the dialog. Is there some special command or how does OO determine
> the printers on the system? I would expect it looks in /etc/printcap
> because that's where my printers are configured, but maybe there is
> another method how OO determines the printers? When I open the print
> dialog I can only see "Generic Printer" in the combobox.

AFAIK OOo only determines the "physical" printers from /etc/printcap,
the "logical" printers (ie. printer drivers) have to be added (and
connected to the respective "physical" printers) via OOo's printer
administration tool (ie. spadmin).

HTH,
Thomas

PS: Please don't crosspost without a Followup-To: header!
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

-  "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw."  (M. C.)  -
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

OpenOffice multiple printers again

Post by Gerhard W. Grube » Tue, 13 May 2003 00:27:11

Quote:>AFAIK OOo only determines the "physical" printers from /etc/printcap,
>the "logical" printers (ie. printer drivers) have to be added (and
>connected to the respective "physical" printers) via OOo's printer
>administration tool (ie. spadmin).

I see. And how to a add my other printer? The problem is that when I use "Add
Printer"  I get a list of printers, but none that works for me. When I look
into the generic printer definition I see that it is simply a command calling
lpr which is quite fine for me, but I found no way to configure such a
printer. How can I copy the generic printer so that I can change the commands
for lpr for the two different versions? Is this possible? Sure it is possible,
but the question is where. :)

--
Gerhard Gruber

Fr jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache L?sung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)

OpenOffice multiple printers again

Post by Thomas Zaji » Tue, 13 May 2003 01:40:39

Quote:> I see. And how to a add my other printer? The problem is that when I
> use "Add Printer"  I get a list of printers, but none that works for
> me. When I look into the generic printer definition I see that it is
> simply a command calling lpr which is quite fine for me, but I found
> no way to configure such a printer. How can I copy the generic printer
> so that I can change the commands for lpr for the two different
> versions? Is this possible? Sure it is possible, but the question is
> where. :)

Add a second generic printer, and configure OOo to use "lpr -P printer1"
and "lpr -P printer2" (instead of "printer[12]", use the names that you
configured in /etc/printcap, of course ;-) - if your printers work fine
outside OOo (eg. from the command line using 'lpr somefile.txt'), they
should work with OOo as well.

Another solution would be to see if the printers' Windows drivers come
with *.PPD files - OOo can import these files, and use them to generate
native OOo drivers (instead of selecting a printer from OOo's list, hit
the "Import..." button and point spadmin to the directory containing the
*.PPD files). I configured an HP LaserJet 4050 at work that way.

HTH,
Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

-  "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw."  (M. C.)  -
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

OpenOffice multiple printers again

Post by Gerhard W. Grube » Tue, 13 May 2003 03:34:45

Quote:>Add a second generic printer, and configure OOo to use "lpr -P printer1"
>and "lpr -P printer2" (instead of "printer[12]", use the names that you
>configured in /etc/printcap, of course ;-) - if your printers work fine
>outside OOo (eg. from the command line using 'lpr somefile.txt'), they
>should work with OOo as well.

I did that already but it didn't work and I got no error messages. Now I
retried it as root and now it worked. WOuld have been nice if OO checked that
and gave me some error message. Thanks for your help!

--

Post by Gerhard W. Grube » Tue, 13 May 2003 07:23:12

Quote:>Add a second generic printer, and configure OOo to use "lpr -P printer1"
>and "lpr -P printer2" (instead of "printer[12]", use the names that you
>configured in /etc/printcap, of course ;-) - if your printers work fine
>outside OOo (eg. from the command line using 'lpr somefile.txt'), they
>should work with OOo as well.

I just managed to finally use the OO. After downloading 1.0.3.1 I could add
multiple printers, but when I wrote some text I couldn't save it. OO always
crashed on me. Now I downloaded 1.1 Beta again and it worked now, even though
it had some minor installation problems. :)

Thanks for your help (and all the others of course).
--
Gerhard Gruber

Fr jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache L?sung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)

1. Add Printer using CUPS web interface- View Printer in OpenOffice Delayed, Why?

I add a printer using CUPS web interface. I have OpenOffice open while
adding the printer. I close OpenOffice, and re-open it. If I go to,
File -> Print, I still do not see the printer I just added in the
printer list. I have to close OpenOffice again and sometimes wait a
couple of minutes until it's visible. Why is this?

2. kde and compuserve

3. OpenOffice.org came through again

4. Please add me to sco list

5. openOffice.org announces openOffice.org 1.0

6. C: how2 get PID

7. OpenOffice 1.0.2 port(dk-openoffice) broken=

8. how do I stop prompts?

9. printer driver OpenOffice

10. printer and OpenOffice

11. PDF Coverter printer not showing up in OpenOffice

12. OpenOffice - adding additional printers

13. OpenOffice and Canon Printers?