Sound Recording using ALSA?

Post by fran » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 03:40:29

Hi:

I installed ALSA drives and all my sound works great.  However, I can't use
sound recording.  It says : sox not installed.  I can't find any information
about sound recording device in ALSA documentation or their web site.  Could
anyone give me some help?  Thank you very much.

Frank

Sound Recording using ALSA?

Post by Kevi » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 05:22:52

You can find SoX here http://home.sprynet.com/~cbagwell/sox.html

G'luck....

P.S.:   When you installed your drivers, what documentation were
        you following?  I'm about to install ALSA 0.5.10 on my
        Mandrake 7.02 system and I'm planning to follow the
        Alsa-sound-mini-HOWTO.  Is this a good plan?  Thanks...

> Hi:
> I installed ALSA drives and all my sound works great.  However, I can't use
> sound recording.  It says : sox not installed.  I can't find any information
> about sound recording device in ALSA documentation or their web site.  Could
> anyone give me some help?  Thank you very much.

Sound Recording using ALSA?

Post by fran » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 07:03:01

Yes, I followed mini-Howto for ALSA.  Just download the most recent stable
version and it works great for me.  Good luck and thank you for the info.

Frank

Sound Recording using ALSA?

Post by Bill Unr » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:16:25

Quote:>I installed ALSA drives and all my sound works great.  However, I can't use
>sound recording.  It says : sox not installed.  I can't find any information
>about sound recording device in ALSA documentation or their web site.  Could
>anyone give me some help?  Thank you very much.

Well, the first thing I would do is to install sox. sox is a sound file
translator. It is in rpm if your distro uses rpm ( and is part of every
distribution I think)
If after you have installed sox, it still does not work, then you need
to worry some more.

Sound Recording using ALSA?

Post by fran » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 08:17:52

I installed the most recent sox copy without any problems.  But I still can
record.  Any thoughts?

Sound Recording using ALSA?

Post by Kevin E Cosgro » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 05:43:12

I assume you mean that you "can't" record.  Have you opened up a
mixer and looked at the line-in and mic enable buttons?  If
they're enabled, are their levels set to something sane, like
70ish (just not near zero)?

> I installed the most recent sox copy without any problems.  But I still can
> record.  Any thoughts?

Sound Recording using ALSA?

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 07:55:27

Quote:>I installed the most recent sox copy without any problems.  But I still can
>record.  Any thoughts?

That sounds good ( unless youreally meant to say "can't")
Anyway, what is now the error message. Really we are not capable of
reading the messages off your monitor, no matter what you have heard
about TEMPEST and other monitoring stuff.

So, if I was to be facetious, I would say"Install the sound card". But
have you checked that it is on and that the volume on the microphone
line is turned up ( eg bring up kmix or your own mixer and make sure
that the microphone is on and turned up). Do you have a microphone? ....

Sound Recording using ALSA?

Post by friedhelm.mehn.. » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 04:36:00

: I installed the most recent sox copy without any problems.  But I still can
: record.  Any thoughts?

Yes, don't use the "standard record program" that comes with sox.
Look for the alsa supplied one. "Arecord or alsarecord" is the name;
I think.

The alsa drivers are great, but their documentation sucks.

Happy Xmas,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

1. Using alsa-sound drivers with the Trident 4d Wave sound cards

Has anyone gotten the alsa-sound drivers to work with the Trident 4D Wave
cards on either RH6 or Caldera 2.2? I have downloaded the 0.3.2 drivers from
alsa-project, and have not been able to get the card to work yet, even
though it is supported according to the documentation.

Whenever I try to unmute the sound card using amixer, I get an error saying
something to the effect of 'unknown command: unmute', even though the man
pages for amixer explicitly list this as a command, as does the alsa-sound
documentation.

Any help with getting this to work would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

2. Looking for sound player

3. es1370 + alsa 0.9 + 2.4.23 - Can't record sound

4. Get an IP adress

5. newbie using redhat linux 6.0 with alsa sound driver.

6. sendmail.cf comnpile walkthrough

7. How do I config a yamaha 724 sound card to work using ALSA?

8. Routing packets from win98 to linux then back

9. Alsa sound runs at half speed when used by mplayer

10. Can anybody record using a GUS sound card??

11. azt2320 sound card and alsa sound drivers

12. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

13. Help: record with Linux/ALSA and SB128 PnP PCI