Debian 3.0: can't build a kernel module.

Debian 3.0: can't build a kernel module.

Post by Grant Edwar » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:44:14

I just did a fresh install of Debian 3.0, and I seem to have
ended up with the usual mess.  After fixing the broken X11
config, I find that I can't build a kernel module because there
are no kernel sources.

Just do an "apt-get" to install the kernel sources, is the
usual reply to problems like that.

Except there are none available for the installed kernel.  The
net-install CD put a 2.2.20 kernel on my disk.  Guess what?  No
2.2.20 kernel-source packages available.

There are 2.2.22 kernel source packages, but no 2.2.22 kernel
image packages.

Are Debian users supposed to build a kernel from scratch just
to add a single device driver????

I really _want_ to like Debian, but it's always such a struggle
getting a system running (once a system is up, maintenance is
easy).  I've been using Linux for almost 10 years and Debian
for 4 years. After dozens of Debian installs, it's still a
two-day-long battle to get a new Debian system running.

It's sad when compared to RH, Mandrake, Suse, or Turbo-Linux,
which are all up and running in an hour or so with a minimal
amount of fuss.  I've done 8 different Linux installs in the
last three days, and a single Debian install has taken more
work than the other seven distros combined.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Boys, you have ALL
                                  at               been selected to LEAVE th'

Post by bd » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 04:12:42

> I just did a fresh install of Debian 3.0, and I seem to have
> ended up with the usual mess.  After fixing the broken X11
> config, I find that I can't build a kernel module because there
> are no kernel sources.

> Just do an "apt-get" to install the kernel sources, is the
> usual reply to problems like that.

> Except there are none available for the installed kernel.  The
> net-install CD put a 2.2.20 kernel on my disk.  Guess what?  No
> 2.2.20 kernel-source packages available.

> There are 2.2.22 kernel source packages, but no 2.2.22 kernel
> image packages.

I suggest installing a 2.4 kernel. They're plenty stable nowadays.

1. Can't Build Kernel Module on V5.1A - no Module created

Hi All
I am porting a driver to execute on Tru64 5.1A but cannot get the
build procedure to create a .mod file. I am running on Tru64 5.1A with
the latest patches and my compiler is Compaq C V6.4-215 (dtk) on
Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (Rev(1885).  I followed the example in
section 10.1 of the "Writing Kernel Modules" version August 2000,
Document AA-RHYGB-TE.
It appears to be successful when creating the "files" fragment in Step
3, and OK in the step 4, "Create a BINARY.list" file, OK at the step 5
"Create the sysconfgitab File Fragment but when I get to step 10.1.6,
"Create a Makefile" the "mymod.mod" file is not created in the
/usr/sys/BINARY directory.  I have also followed the Driver
Development Tool version 2.0 but still without success.  The
"sourceconfig" utility does not spit out any errors. Is there a method
to turn on error messages so it can tell me why the mod file refuses
to be created?  The source for the driver is one
that I am porting from Digital Unix 4.0E if that helps diagnose the
problem.

Any Help appreciated..

Ron

2. SB16 SCSI CDROM recognition

3. 2.4.21-pre6 modules can't access kernel symbols - build system problem?

4. Suse 7.2 installation hangs

5. Module deps when building stacked module outside of kernel source tree

6. CVS, committing files, and groups

7. Kernel upgrade: make modules -> nothing to do for 'modules' and complains afterwards ?

8. Tunneling driver (tun) in solaris8

9. Some problem while installing PC104 LPT 2COM232 card on PC104 module (linux debian woody 3.0)

10. "Can't open display" on Debian 3.0's X-Windows

11. aha1542, module vs kernel, kernel doesn't work, need kernel

12. error building kernel module for cirrus graphic card - kernel 2.5.68

13. Can't build Perl's DBD::Oracle module...