ext2 fs problem

Post by Hans Reis » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

something strange is happening here:
every time I run e2fsck on my root partition /dev/sda2 -- usually done
automatically on startup of the system whenever the maximal mount
count is reached, i.e. every few weeks -- I get several (abt 20) such
messages from e2fsck:
 Deletet inode nnnnnn has zero dtime.
 Set dtime? yes.

There aren't any obvious problems related to this, and I wouldn't mind
at all if this message has been here once.  But it seems strange to me
that this message keeps reapearing all the time... (only on the root
partition, not on the others.)

System here is Kernel 2.0.30, e2fsk v1.06 for EXT2 FS 0.5b,
and mount-2.5p

Maybe there is a explanation for this phenomen?

        Hansi.

--

ext2 fs problem

Post by Frank Sweetse » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> something strange is happening here:
> every time I run e2fsck on my root partition /dev/sda2 -- usually done
> automatically on startup of the system whenever the maximal mount
> count is reached, i.e. every few weeks -- I get several (abt 20) such
> messages from e2fsck:
>  Deletet inode nnnnnn has zero dtime.
>  Set dtime? yes.

This isn't a big problem.  This happens when a process opens up a file,
deletes the file, and then dies without properly closing it.  Lots of
programs use this method to make a file that can't be opened up by other
random processes.  e2fsck notices that the file wasn't closed up properly,
and so finishes the job.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
"A word to the wise: a credentials*size war is usually a bad idea on the
net."
(David Parsons in c.o.l.development.system, about coding in C.)

ext2 fs problem

Post by Han-Wen Nienhu » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>messages from e2fsck:
> Deletet inode nnnnnn has zero dtime.
> Set dtime? yes.
>partition, not on the others.)

If I remember correctly, this is related to a bug in ld.so, so maybe you should
upgrade the dynamic linker.

--

http://www.stack.nl/~hanwen       | http://www.stack.nl/~hanwen/lilypond/

ext2 fs problem

Post by Jim Howe » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

:  Deletet inode nnnnnn has zero dtime.
:  Set dtime? yes.

Suggests that the filesystem isn't being unmounted properly;  we usually
get these when the electric company blow something up and plunge us into
unexpected darkness.. :-(   Does your SCSI controller manage some sort
of disk caching?  Perhaps something isn't being written when you shut
down?  {You are of course shutting down properly, aren't you}
Some sort of write-back write-caching?

Jim

ext2 fs problem

Post by Hans Reis » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> If I remember correctly, this is related to a bug in ld.so, so maybe you should
> upgrade the dynamic linker.

Thanks to all who have given me helpful advises.
Upgrading ld.so to a newer version solved my small problem. Seems like this
bug really was the fault.

Ciao... Hansi

1. Any known ext2 FS problems in 2.4.7?

Are you sure you are running e2fsck on this partition at boot time?
I mean, if it is rebooting spontaneously every day, but you need to run
e2fsck manually to clean up the filesystem every 2-3 days, the fsck after
reboot should already clean up the filesystem for you.  If you _don't_
run e2fsck on this filesystem (you need a non-zero number in the 6th
column of /etc/fstab) that would explain the problem.

The "missing space" you are seeing is because files are being held open
(thus not reported by "du", which only can check linked files, but reported
by "df" which shows the whole filesystem stats).  If the files are held
open at the time of a crash, then you need to run e2fsck to clean up all
of these "orphans".  You should be able to see what process is causing this
by running "lsof | grep deleted" to find open-but-deleted files.

Note that reiserfs still has the same problem (AFAIK, I don't think it
is fixed in the stock kernels, although there is a patch available),
so even though it doesn't _need_ reiserfsck at boot time, you still
don't get the space back until it is run.  If the other machines don't
crash all the time, the space won't be "lost", so you may not notice it.
Ext3 cleans up orphans at boot time (no fsck needed).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger

-

2. Get ipop3d messages out of maillog

3. ext2 fs problems

4. To accept input from PIPE by a program

5. ext2-fs Problem

6. 2.5.47-bk4 compile failure, due to crypto

7. Ext2 fs problems

8. A new web page

9. EXT2 FS PROBLEM! (possible BUG?)

10. Need help with EXT2-fs problem

11. ext2 fs problems (My continuing saga).

12. Bugs in LVM and ext2 + suggestion for fix (was: Problem mounting ext2 fs on LVM)

13. EXT2-FS warning for nonexistant FS?