2x NIC in 1 Linux Box (I386)

Post by Guenther Mueggenbu » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:59:23

Hi NG,

is it possible to increase (double) the bandwidth of a LinuxBox (PC) by
installing 2 Networkcards with a TCP/IP adress in the same subnet.
For instance : eth0 -> 10.1.1.100 255.255.255.0
               eth1 -> 10.1.1.101 255.255.255.0

Does that give me the supposed more bandwidth or can I expect problems
because of the 2 macadresses ?

thanks

guenther

2x NIC in 1 Linux Box (I386)

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:45:32

On 23 Jun 2001 16:59:23 -0700, Guenther Mueggenburg staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:>is it possible to increase (double) the bandwidth of a LinuxBox (PC) by
>installing 2 Networkcards with a TCP/IP adress in the same subnet.
>For instance : eth0 -> 10.1.1.100 255.255.255.0
>               eth1 -> 10.1.1.101 255.255.255.0

>Does that give me the supposed more bandwidth or can I expect problems
>because of the 2 macadresses ?

You will need to have the addresses available (no problem if you're on
the 10.0.0.0 private space, I guess) and you must have sufficient
external bandwidth (2 100Mbit cards on a 100Mbit switched network might
work, but it won't double the bandwidth--more like 1.5x if I had to
guess) and you must compile the bonding driver into the kernel, and
probably another step which I've forgotten.  Look up "bonding" in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help and see if the HOWTOs at
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/ have anything to say, and do a Google search
on "linux bonding".  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

1. Apache setup with 2 NICs, an NT box and a Linux box

I'm sorry if the answer to this question is obvious but I guess I'm
looking too hard because I can't seem to see it.  Here's what I have.
My main web server is my RH Linux 6.0 box, 132Mbyte RAM, several Gigs
hard storage.  I have two NICs; one attached to my cable modem complete
with a static IP address and the second one linked to my NT 4.0
Workstation.  I have a web site on the NT workstation and also a few on
the Linux box.  I'm using the NT box because I can't seem to get both
the FrontPage 2000 extensions and PHP3 to work on the Linux box
simultaneously.  (BTW, PHP3 Rocks!!!!).

I've read through the Apache documentation on virtual hosts and have no
problems with name virtual hosts, provided they're all on the Linux
box.  But getting over to the NT box seems to be a problem.  The NT
site, www.ntbox.com is on a local network 192.168.1.0 and the other
site(s), www.linuxbox1.com,  www.linuxbox2.com, etc. are all on the
linux box being resolved from the same static IP address.

How does one set up the server so calls from the outside world to
www.ntbox.com get routed properly?  Can someone point me in the right
direction or give me a URL or something where I can figure this out?
Should I be aliasing my eth1 device?  As usual, I'm  clueless.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  Please either post

Nick Ringo

2. Probelms with 2 video adapters in 2 operating systems.

3. RH6.0 - i386-glibc20-linux-gcc or i386-redhat-linux-gcc

4. anyone using OmnibackII and DLT Libraries

5. Downloading RH7...So many types: 7.0-i386...7.0-i386-respin...7.0-ja-i386

6. How to read all data from kernel buffer for a socket fd (which uses TCP )

7. HOW DO I CONNECT A SERIAL CONSOLE TO A LINUX I386 BOX?

8. extracting a specific file from an RPM package

9. PCI NIC card in same box as ISA NIC card ?

10. elf32-i386 and a.out-i386-linux

11. tcsh HOSTTYPE i386-linux, should be i386?

12. tcsh HOSTTYPE is i386-linux, should be i386?

13. Can Ping Windows Box, But Windows Box Can't Ping Linux Box