ld: Output file requires shared library `libX11.so.3' after slack upgrade

ld: Output file requires shared library `libX11.so.3' after slack upgrade

Post by The Maraud » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

After upgrading to the sharedlibs on SLackware 2.2.0 I meet with the
following error when attempting to build any X application..

ld: Output file requires shared library LibX11.so.3'
gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6

I have libX11.sa in every path I can find..

if I attempt a build with the -static flag it compiles fine..

Anyone have any Ideas on what it happening.. and how to correct it,

I did the symbolic link from libc.sa to libg.sa, however this has no effect
on the problem..

thanks

--
Marauder, The              ||"Maybe going camping might provide a badly
LoD Communications, Inc.   || needed  dose of  perspective?  The radiation

___________________________||   [Circa 1994 - Universe aka ANI-Failure]

Post by Matt Wel » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>After upgrading to the sharedlibs on SLackware 2.2.0 I meet with the
>following error when attempting to build any X application..

>ld: Output file requires shared library LibX11.so.3'
>gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6

This means that the binary you have is built for X11R5 (e.g., XFree86-2.x).
If you still encounter this error after recompiling the program, it means
that one of the libraries used by the program is expecting the older
libX11. If you have installed an older version of libXaw3d, for example, it
is built to require the old libX11.

In your case the answer may be to simply install the X11R6 version of
libXaw3d, if that's what you're using. If not, then check which libraries
you do have installed on your system and determine which versions are
being used.

mdw

1. ld: Output file requires shared library `libX11.so.3'

I often get errors that tell me that a certain DLL libray is requied by
the executable I'm trying to create.

Is there a way I can cause the linker to use the latest version of the
DLL?

When the DLL exists, why do I still get the error?  Is the linker
looking for the .so file or the .sa file?  I thought the .so file was
only used when exectuing the binary, not when linking it.

Other info:

Script started on Sat Nov  4 18:26:49 1995

=====> Getting Internal compiler error.
+ rm -f xfm
+ gcc -o xfm -O2 -m486 -ansi -DNO_ASM -L/usr/X11R6/lib FmMain.o FmPopup.o
FmUtils.o FmDirs.o FmBitmaps.o FmFw.o FmFwCb.o FmAw.o FmAwCb.o FmAwActions.o
FmAwPopup.o FmFwActions.o FmChmod.o FmInfo.o FmErrors.o FmDelete.o FmConfirm.o
FmExec.o FmComms.o FmOps.o -lXpm -lXaw -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXmu -lXext -lX11
ld: Output file requires shared library `libX11.so.3'

gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6

Script done on Sat Nov  4 18:27:00 1995

=====> libX11.so exists
        Why is ld looking for libX11.so.3 when so.6 is here?

Script started on Sat Nov  4 18:28:12 1995

/usr/i486-linuxaout/libX11.lst
/usr/i486-linuxaout/libX11.sa
/usr/lib/libX11.sa
/usr/X11R6/lib/i486-linuxaout/libX11.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/i486-linuxaout/libX11.so.6.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a.lst
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.sa
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.3
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.3.2
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.0

Script done on Sat Nov  4 18:28:28 1995

=====>/etc/ld.so.conf:
/lib
/lib/aout
/lib/i486-linxuaout
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw
/usr/X11R6/lib/i486-linuxaout
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/packages/interviews/lib/LINUX

-Louis

--
+---------------------------------+------------------------------------+

+---------------------------------+------------------------------------+

2. ANNOUNCE: html version of Common Criteria

3. help: ld: Output file requires shared library `libX11.so.3'

4. UNIX system compatibility problem

5. what does 'ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'' mean?

6. printing on win95 from aix

7. ld: Output file requires shared library 'libc.so.4' : error

8. IBCS2 Error Message

9. ld: Output file requires shared library 'libc.so.4'

10. ld: Output file requires shared library `libXt.so.3'

11. Slackware 2.2: "ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'

12. ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'...

13. ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'