MGETTY,AutoPPP,and PAP

Post by JW. Denni » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm using RedHat 4.1 Vanderbilt with a PCI cyclades adapter.  I've
configured "mgetty" per instructions at
http://www.buoy.com/isp/mgetty.html

Everything works fine, except AutoPPP fails because PAP will not
authenticate the log in.  I don't understand how to setup PAP to
make this work and the HOW-TO's are weak on it.  I'm not sure what
if anything should go in the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file.

mgetty's "login.config" file is configured as shown at "bouy" web page.
The /var/log/messages file say that PAP could not authenticate the
user "username".

If anyone can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim D.
--
                http://www.hed.com

MGETTY,AutoPPP,and PAP

Post by Gert Doeri » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

>I'm using RedHat 4.1 Vanderbilt with a PCI cyclades adapter.  I've
>configured "mgetty" per instructions at
>http://www.buoy.com/isp/mgetty.html
>Everything works fine, except AutoPPP fails because PAP will not
>authenticate the log in.  I don't understand how to setup PAP to
>make this work and the HOW-TO's are weak on it.  I'm not sure what
>if anything should go in the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file.

If the mgetty log file shows "AutoPPP" as user name in the last line at a
login attempt, mgetty has successfully detected an incoming PPP call. If
not, please show the mgetty log file.

If yes, look at the pppd debug messages, which should tell you what is
going on.

Log files are your friend :)

gert
--
Yield to temptation ... it may not pass your way again!  --  Lazarus Long
                                                            //www.muc.de/~gert

1. mgetty : autoppp username

I'm an ISP running linux with mgetty (using AUTOPPP).  The
problem I'm having is that when a user logs in with AUTOPPP,
it shows 'ppp' as the username in a 'who' or 'last'.

My current mgett.config line  is :
/AutoPPP/   -   ppp    /sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login etc..

The mgetty.config file says to make the line :

/AutoPPP/   -    -    /sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap etc..

to have mgetty not write a utmp/wtmp entry.   This is fine, and works,
but i then need pppd to write the utmp/wtmp entry so it shows the
login of the authenticated user in the 'who' or 'last' commands.

Please help!! :)

Mike

2. PC file transfer

3. Mgetty, autoppp and psacct

4. How do I switch desktop managers?

5. AutoPPP/mgetty under Redhat 5.1

6. Win4Lin and Lexmark Z32 printer drivers

7. Mgetty & AutoPPP

8. Unmounting Drives During Power Down.

9. mgetty/autoppp/winxp

10. redhat 6.0 mgetty and autoppp login

11. mgetty+sendfax AutoPPP WTF?

12. idled work with mgetty /AutoPPP/ - @ .... ?

13. mgetty and AutoPPP help pretty please!