Forgot root password

Post by George Bel » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 04:38:35

Please help.  My computer was in mothballs for a few months.  Then when
I started it again, I remembered every password except the one for root!
I have SuSE 7.2 distro, and tried using the rescue system.  But the
command for resetting the password for root had no effect.  Then I tried
an update install, but it started removing partitions.  So I aborted.
Fortuneately I have not harmed the system, but is there some way to
change the password for root, or find it, without installing  everything
over again from scratch and erasing all my existing partitions?

Thanks very much for any advice.

George

Forgot root password

Post by davide_sp.. » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 04:42:16

> Please help.  My computer was in mothballs for a few months.  Then when
> I started it again, I remembered every password except the one for root!

Restart the system, when you see "LILO:" type linux single or linux 1,
this will boot you in single-user mode. At this point you are root.
Use passwd to change the password.

Davide

Forgot root password

Post by Dragan Cola » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:28:28

>> Please help.  My computer was in mothballs for a few months.  Then when
>> I started it again, I remembered every password except the one for root!

> Restart the system, when you see "LILO:" type linux single or linux 1,
> this will boot you in single-user mode. At this point you are root.
> Use passwd to change the password.

> Davide

That doesn't work with SuSE. It doesn't matter what runlevel you boot into,
it always ask for a password (root password in single user mode).

What you can do:

1. Boot from CD#1, start the rescue system.
2. Mount the / partition read-write to $MOUNTPOINT.
3. Edit the file $MOUNTPOINT/etc/shadow -> remove the encrypted password
   of root (it's the stuff between the first and the second colon)
4. Reboot your system from HDD. You should now be able to login to user
   without a password.
5. Use 'passwd' to set a new one.

Dragan

Forgot root password

Post by Bernd Felsch » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:21:04

>>> Please help.  My computer was in mothballs for a few months.
>>> Then when I started it again, I remembered every password except
>>> the one for root!
>> Restart the system, when you see "LILO:" type linux single or
>> linux 1, this will boot you in single-user mode. At this point
>> you are root.  Use passwd to change the password.
>That doesn't work with SuSE. It doesn't matter what runlevel you boot into,
>it always ask for a password (root password in single user mode).
>What you can do:
>1. Boot from CD#1, start the rescue system.
>2. Mount the / partition read-write to $MOUNTPOINT.
>3. Edit the file $MOUNTPOINT/etc/shadow -> remove the encrypted password
>   of root (it's the stuff between the first and the second colon)
>4. Reboot your system from HDD. You should now be able to login to user
>   without a password.
>5. Use 'passwd' to set a new one.

That's what I was going to say!
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
 X   against HTML mail     | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \  and postings          | to help me spread!

Forgot root password

Post by David C. Frenc » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:37:11

> >> Please help.  My computer was in mothballs for a few months.  Then when
> >> I started it again, I remembered every password except the one for root!

> > Restart the system, when you see "LILO:" type linux single or linux 1,
> > this will boot you in single-user mode. At this point you are root.
> > Use passwd to change the password.

> > Davide

> That doesn't work with SuSE. It doesn't matter what runlevel you boot into,
> it always ask for a password (root password in single user mode).

> What you can do:

> 1. Boot from CD#1, start the rescue system.
> 2. Mount the / partition read-write to $MOUNTPOINT.
> 3. Edit the file $MOUNTPOINT/etc/shadow -> remove the encrypted password
>    of root (it's the stuff between the first and the second colon)
> 4. Reboot your system from HDD. You should now be able to login to user
>    without a password.
> 5. Use 'passwd' to set a new one.

> Dragan

I've tried this without success.  I must be doing something wrong.  If I echo
$MOUNTPOINT I get nothing.  What should $MOUNTPOINT =?  Should I     mount -rw
/dev/hda? /  This is a dual boot system and I can't remember which /dev/hda
the / partion is mounted on.  Yikes! I'm really lost.

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Forgot root password

Post by Stefan Kani » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:50:37

Hi David
try this:

at the bootprompt enter:
linux= /bin/sh

your system will boot without runlevel and you are root try "id"
then rmount your root-partition and if you have your usr-partition with
the following command:
mount -n -o remount,rw /
mount -n -o remount,rw /usr

then you can change your root password with

passwd

The only thing is you can't do a shutdown, because you are not in a
runlevel. so switch your computer off and on again. Then start your
Linux and login with your new rootpassword

Stefan

>>>Restart the system, when you see "LILO:" type linux single or linux 1,
>>>this will boot you in single-user mode. At this point you are root.
>>>Use passwd to change the password.

>>>Davide

>>That doesn't work with SuSE. It doesn't matter what runlevel you boot into,
>>it always ask for a password (root password in single user mode).

>>What you can do:

>>1. Boot from CD#1, start the rescue system.
>>2. Mount the / partition read-write to $MOUNTPOINT.
>>3. Edit the file $MOUNTPOINT/etc/shadow -> remove the encrypted password
>>   of root (it's the stuff between the first and the second colon)
>>4. Reboot your system from HDD. You should now be able to login to user
>>   without a password.
>>5. Use 'passwd' to set a new one.

>>Dragan

> I've tried this without success.  I must be doing something wrong.  If I echo
> $MOUNTPOINT I get nothing.  What should $MOUNTPOINT =?  Should I     mount -rw
> /dev/hda? /  This is a dual boot system and I can't remember which /dev/hda
> the / partion is mounted on.  Yikes! I'm really lost.

> Thanks for your help,
> Dave

1. forgot root password

I finally got a second monitor for an old system (sparc2
running Solaris 2.6) and I cant remember the root password
for the life of me.  Anyonw know how to wipe it out and start
over?  SunOS used to let you just reboot as single user but
Solaris has protected that (which is a good idea, just not
for me at the moment ;)

thanks
Jeff

2. problem with Aha152x & HP SureStore DAT8

3. Need Sam9407 driver RPM

4. Forgotten Root Password - Help!

5. RPC: Program not registered (share problem)

6. Forgotten root password!!!

7. binutils 2.8.x & kernel compiling

8. FreeBSD 3.2 - Forgot Root Password !!

9. forgotten root password

10. I forgot root password

11. HELP!! - Recover from forgotten ROOT password

12. Forgot root password