fetchpop 1.9: Error getting LASt status of read mail

fetchpop 1.9: Error getting LASt status of read mail

Post by Anthony Borl » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I recently installed  fetchpop-1.9-2.i386.rpm on my RedHat 5.2 system.

Installation was a breeze. I checked the $HOME/.fetchhost file that was
produced, and it contains the correct entry for my ISP's mail server.

Running fetchpop in the foreground, either with an "-r" option or no option
at all, results in the following:

fetchpop 1.9pl1 release, by Seung-Hong Oh.
using mailbox folder /var/spool/mail/root
[-Error-] Getting status of LAST read mail. Disconnecting from the pop
server.

As well, checking $? indicates a return code of  6.

My fetchpop version is:

FETCHPOP Version and Compile-time Configuration Information:

        fetchpop 1.9pl1 release, Jun 1996
        Copyrigt (c) 1996 Seung-Hong Oh
         Default deliver: Direct modifying mailbox
         MDA (-m flag) support: Use /usr/lib/sendmail
         Procmail(-p flag) support: Use /usr/bin/formail
         Mail spool directory: /var/spool/mail
         Log file: Show From and Subject lines.
                   Logging only when there is new mail.
         Minimum sleep second: 300

I checked its "man" page; it mentions using the "-r" for pop servers which
do not recognize the "LAST" or "QUIT" command. Unfortunately, as mentioned
above, this does not work either.

I, additionally, ran fetchpop as a daemon; same error as above was returned
in the log file.

I know my ISP runs MS Windows NT, and, most likely, MS Exchange.

I am at at a loss as to what to do; the documentation I have offers no
solution. Has anyone experienced such problems ? Can anyone offer a
suggestion or solution ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony Borla

1. fetchpop 1.9: Error getting status of LAST read mail

[...]

2. DHCP server and Duplicate Address Detection (DAD)

3. ncurses 1.9.9g error msg: "error opening terminal: console"

4. newbie needs remote x session over internet

5. Print error: Exit code 2 with Samba 1.9 with Solaris 2.6

6. FREEWARE - Unix utility shell scripts

7. /dev/hdc status error: status=0x01 {Error}

8. Solaris 7 11/99 release

9. Help: Need info on how get mail last read.

10. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

11. finger output: where does "last time the user read mail" come from?

12. How 2 tell when mail last read

13. cdrecord, I/O Error reading last written file