DIP/SLIP help needed

Post by Paul Sche » Mon, 18 Jul 1994 22:26:04

Hello. I am trying to get a up a dialup SLIP connection to work, but I am
having very little luck and was hoping for some advice from you people.

The way my SLIP connection is setup is; I call a number and give a login
name and password. I am then called back and assigned an IP address.
I have my modem working on the terminal service callback system (I'm
typing this using it now), however I can't get very far with DIP. (I'm using
dip-3.3.7-lilo-3.2, but if you can suggest a better suited DIP I'd be
greatful). The login prceedure should be as follows:
dial
wait for username:
send name
wait for "Phone No:
send my phone number
hangup
answer the phone when it rings
wait for prompt
send SLIP
wait for Your IP address is .....

When I run dip interactively, it doesn't echo what is happening on the
serial port, so it is very hard to debug scripts.  I am also a bit worried
that when the first call is terminated, DIP will terminate as well, with
an error saying that the call was killed before the protocol was setup.

As additional information, I could ignore the, "Your IP address is ..." line
and pick up my IP address using bootp, but this is probably a bit more
difficult to accomplish.

So if anyone out there is in a similar callback situation, perhaps you could
give me some advice as to how to get this to work.

Thanks in advance.

Casper

Paul Schenk         |   University of California, Riverside

       PGP public key available by arrangement
         "Verbing weirds language" - Calvin

1. DIP / Slip HELP needed.

 Hi there,
I finaly got dip setup & connecting to my slip server. Once
everything said & done, im dropt into shell. I try to use ping,ftp,telnet
or any other net activities it just hangs. no error messages or anything.
Any sudgestions?

2. DPT SCSI and SMP with RH6.0

3. SLIP and DIP only reaches slip server, help!

4. can't get my Xserver up

5. Need help with DIP in dynamic slip env.

6. sed: must do append before delete?

7. SLIP-DIP setup help needed

8. Defining host name

9. NEED HELP w/ getting SLIP using DIP

10. linux newbie needs help with dip and dynamic slip

11. slip-dip connection need help

12. Need help - SLIP/DIP with Slackware Linux setup

13. need help using dip for SLIP connection