A Linux user with no disk space left 8-(

A Linux user with no disk space left 8-(

Post by Aras » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi'

I'm using (Slakware) Linux 1.3.2/ (I think) on *samll* HD partition, about 37Mb, I
get about 4MB free disk space now :-(.

The only way to get X run on my system is to use a program like Double.
Or use my the BIG dos partition as a part of Linux harddrive (I can't change the
partitions size).

BUT there are two problems:

1. To use Double I have to recompile the kernel. I just can't do this, I'm running on
a small HD, remember??

2. I don't know how to mount/assign a dos drive as a part of linux, and I can't use
long file-names (No, I don't want to upgrade to the stupid Win95) ...

Just wonder if there are some peoples with pre-compiled linux kerenels, or at least
some one who can give some good advise....

My system configuration is like this:

****
808486Dx2/66MHz
12Mb-RAM, no swap file (guess why..), I'm using the <16MB limit in my kernel.

Linux on /dev/hda3, DOS on /dev/hda1, ATI IDE CDROM (Mitsumi,2x) on /dev/hdb.
Tutrtle Beach Torpez soundcard, emulating Soundblaster on 220/7/1 ( this is really
not that importatnt)

TCP/IP, SLIP, PPP etc (I really don't know if they are needed, my machine is not
connected anywhere & I have no modem)
****

If you have the binary file of the kernel, I can get it via ftp, you don't have to
mail it.

(and please don't tell me to buy a new harddrive :-)

TIA
Arash
__________________
 AOL?? No tanx!!!

Post by Tycho Frur » Fri, 01 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

> I'm using (Slakware) Linux 1.3.2/ (I think) on *samll* HD partition, about 37Mb, I
> get about 4MB free disk space now :-(.

[snip]
> 2. I don't know how to mount/assign a dos drive as a part of linux,
> and I can't use
> long file-names (No, I don't want to upgrade to the stupid Win95) ...

Try the umsdos filesystem...
root# mount /dev/hda1 /dosc -t umsdos
           ^^^^ your DOS partition
root# umssync /dosc

Quote:> Just wonder if there are some peoples with pre-compiled linux kerenels, or at least
> some one who can give some good advise....

I guess i'm one of the latter group :
Have a look at
http://www.etca.fr/Users/Antoine%20de%20Maricourt/english/e2compress....

This is an extension to the ext2 filesystem which supports transparent
compression on a file by file basis (eg YOU can choose which files on
the filesystem will be compressed.)  It works great and you can achieve
compression ratios of about 2:1.  The speed loss is not that bad (unlike
the loss you're getting with Double)

Check it out :)

[snip]

Quote:> TCP/IP, SLIP, PPP etc (I really don't know if they are needed, my machine is not
> connected anywhere & I have no modem)

you'll want TCP/IP for loopback connections, but you don't need SLIP nor
PPP.

Quote:> (and please don't tell me to buy a new harddrive :-)

Buy a new harddrive (ducking :)

Hope this helps...
----

"Not only is this incomprehensible, but the ink is ugly and the paper
is from the wrong kind of tree."
                -- Professor W.

1. users [not root] get "no space left on device error"..???

Hello,
  I have no idea what I did, but for some reason only root can write
to my Linux drive now.  All other users receive a "no space left on
device" error whenever they start up pine or try to save any files to
disk.
  I _know_ I have about 25MB free on the disk, and when I'm root I can
write as much stuff to disk as I please.
  I have used fsck to try to detect disk problems, and it did, but
that still didn't fix the problem.
  The only thing I can think of that I have done recently regarding
the file system is that I was messing around with NFS so that my
roommate and I could use each other's hard drive, but I got that
working just fine.  I even disabled it, rebooted, and still had the
same problem.
  If anyone has a remedy for this I would appreciate some help.
  Thanks in advance,

2. How do I configure a Mpact video card?

3. Finding left disk space (bytes free)?

4. Slip performance under DIP?

5. Disk space left??

6. shell script question

7. disk space left