Anyone recommend a good CAD program that runs under Linux?

Anyone recommend a good CAD program that runs under Linux?

Post by Mike Winte » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 01:06:00

I don't know if this a good place to post this question, but here goes:
I have a friend who is in the process of getting a small contractor business
started.  He was asking me about Windows.  I mentioned Linux and all the
potential thousands of dollars of software savings he could have :-)
Is there any decent CAD programs available for Linux?  I guess PD software
would be preferred, but he might consider commercial software, too, if
the price is cheap.  He is building additions onto houses, balconies,
remodeling etc.., so he doesn't need something to design spaceships with.
I know DOS has some cheap CAD programs.  Out of curiosity, how would
one of these Linux CAD programs compare to DOS/Windows world?  Also,
my friend needs a basic accounting/financial type software to do
your standard small business bookkeeping type functions.  Any advice
on the above would be highly appreciated, since I think it would be
really cool to get someone out of the mainstream into Linux, who would
normally march on down to your friendly neighborhood computer store and
go broke buying commercial software and operating systems.  Any
Architects or building contractors out there using Linux?
By the way, I am pleased to say that I am SLowly.... getting my
organization interested in using Linux for some software tool
development - have it up on an old PS/2.  Now to get some more memory,
disk space, CD Player etc... for this machine, so I can run X.

------ Michael Winters

Post by Sebastian W. Bun » Sat, 23 Jul 1994 21:29:37

: I don't know if this a good place to post this question, but here goes:
: I have a friend who is in the process of getting a small contractor business
: started.  He was asking me about Windows.  I mentioned Linux and all the
: potential thousands of dollars of software savings he could have :-)
: Is there any decent CAD programs available for Linux?  I guess PD software
: would be preferred, but he might consider commercial software, too, if
: the price is cheap.  He is building additions onto houses, balconies,
There is one shareware CAD program:
Begin2
Title        = SISCAD-P
Version      = 1.3-3
Desc1        = SISCAD-P is a professional parametric 2D-CAD system running on several
Desc2        = UNIX workstations and available as shareware for Linux. Today there is only a
Desc3        = German version of SISCAD-P available. Unfortunately we can not yet provide
Desc4        = a SISCAD-P version in any foreign language but we are already working on an
Desc5        = English version. The release date for this version is not certain yet.
Author       = Coproduction of programmers at Staedtler Mars GmbH & Co/Germany

Site1        = ftp.Germany.EU.net
Path1        = pub/comp/i386/Linux/Local.EUnet/Applications/Graphics
File1        = siscadp1.3-3.tar.gz
FileSize1    = 4135864
Site2        = sunsite.unc.edu
Path2        = /pub/linux/X11/xapps/graphics
File2        = siscadp1.3-3.tar.gz
FileSize2    = 4135864
Required1    = Xwindows running under Linux. 8 MB of memory, 16 MB or more
Required2    = recommended. Slackware Linux 0.19PL14 and 0.19PL15 others not
Required3    = tryed. Fvwm or Mwm window manager recommended . German speaking user
Required4    = required; sorry for this inconvenience.
CopyPolicy1  = Copyright by Staedtler Mars GmbH & Co - SIS
CopyPolicy2  = Free distributable binaries as Shareware for Linux.
Keywords     = CAD, CAD/CAM, drawing, parametric
Comment1     = For people which do not have access to the internet, SISCAD-P
Comment2     = for Linux is available on disks from Computer Solutions Software GmbH,
Comment3     = Postfach 1180, D-85561 Grafing, Tel. 08092/5018, FAX 08092/31727
Comment4     = As commercial product on other UNIX-flavors available from Staedtler.
Entered      = 15MAR94
EnteredBy    = Helmrich Streitmatter

End
They're going to make an english port.....
Cheap (read the readme files ~150 US$ ??);
I'm NOT affiliated with them!
Hope this helps
Sebastian

                    \\            email:

                        phone:                   FAX:
                +43-1-71155260          +43-1-7149110
Location: earth, europe, austria, vienna  Inst. of Bacteriology  Vet.Univ.