Red Hat: Keeping Old Sources when Upgrading w/ RPM?

Red Hat: Keeping Old Sources when Upgrading w/ RPM?

Post by Brian P. Kaspe » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Greetings.

I'm running RH 3.0.3 and am considering upgrading to the 2.0 kernel.

I suppose my first question is, if it ain't broke, should I fix it?
I'm happy with my current kernel (whose number I forget; I believe it's
1.1.15), but I'm wondering if there's something Extra Keen in 2.0
which makes upgrading attractive.

My main concern arises because I've seen several comments in this
group about problems with 2.0 (e.g. PPP ceasing to function).  I'll
be keeping my current kernel image available through LILO so I can
boot with it, but I'm concerned that the RPM upgrade package will overwrite
my current kernel sources so I'll lose the ability to recompile 1.1.15.

Is there a FAQ or WWW page I can check?  I feel like I haven't properly
RTFM'd in this case, but If someone can point me in the right direction
I'll gladly do so.

Thanks in advance ....

-Brian

--
Brian Kasper              | "The only way to deal with bureaucrats is with
The Aerospace Corporation |  stealth and sudden *." - U.N Secretary

Opinions are my own    O- |

Red Hat: Keeping Old Sources when Upgrading w/ RPM?

Post by Donnie Barn » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there a FAQ or WWW page I can check?  I feel like I haven't properly
>RTFM'd in this case, but If someone can point me in the right direction
>I'll gladly do so.

See http://www.redhat.com and follow the link at the top...

--Donnie

--

*    See my web page for my personal list of items for sale in Cary, NC   *
From _Things You'd NEVER Expect A Southerner To Say_ by Vic Henley:

Red Hat: Keeping Old Sources when Upgrading w/ RPM?

Post by Stewart Harris » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

One, I am running 2.0, and the support for VFAT is pretty nice, but since
this is my home box, I really can't comment on the advanced networking
features of 2.0, yet, I am working on a machine at work that *will* have
2.0 and Red Hat 3.0.3 on it.

Two, my problems with PPP were readily resolved when I downloaded the 12
RPM files that Red Hat put up on their FTP site, which they have a link
to on their main WWW page, along with detailed instructions on upgrading.
All 12 of these files easily fit onto 1 3-1/2" high density disk.

And Three, it is always a good idea to keep a known *stable* kernel
listed in LILO.  No Red Hat's RPM for 2.0 does not write over your old
kernel, but I would rename it from linux to linux-1.1.15 to be safe, and
do a static link to whatever kernel you are compiling with the name linux.
Oh, one more thing, how did you end up with an ancient kernel like 1.1.15
with Red Hat 3.0.3?  I am assuming that this is remaining from an
installation long ago, because Red Hat 3.0.3 installation puts either
kernel 1.2.13, or 1.3.57(experimental) on your machine.

Hope I was of some assistance. =8^)

[...]

: --

             Home page:"http://www.veryComputer.com/~stewarth/"
        -----AKPsi Home page:"http://www.veryComputer.com/;-----------

Post by Brian P. Kaspe » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> One, I am running 2.0, and the support for VFAT is pretty nice, but since
> this is my home box, I really can't comment on the advanced networking
> features of 2.0, yet, I am working on a machine at work that *will* have
> 2.0 and Red Hat 3.0.3 on it.

Good to know.

Quote:> Two, my problems with PPP were readily resolved when I downloaded the 12
> RPM files that Red Hat put up on their FTP site, which they have a link
> to on their main WWW page, along with detailed instructions on upgrading.
> All 12 of these files easily fit onto 1 3-1/2" high density disk.

That was my plan; I was going to wait a bit for the known gotchas to be
solved, and then get all the RPMs in one fell swoop.

Quote:> And Three, it is always a good idea to keep a known *stable* kernel
> listed in LILO.  No Red Hat's RPM for 2.0 does not write over your old
> kernel, but I would rename it from linux to linux-1.1.15 to be safe, and
> do a static link to whatever kernel you are compiling with the name linux.

Big time.  I'm definitely going to keep my current (stable) kernel image
available to LILO, and install this new one as an additional stanza in
lilo.conf; my worries are about the kernel source code.  If RPM does a
file-by-file replace, then anything named, for example, 'pppd.c' will be
overwritten.  This would prevent me from recompiling my current kernel in
the future.

Quote:> Oh, one more thing, how did you end up with an ancient kernel like 1.1.15
> with Red Hat 3.0.3?  I am assuming that this is remaining from an
> installation long ago, because Red Hat 3.0.3 installation puts either
> kernel 1.2.13, or 1.3.57(experimental) on your machine.

Seems like I guessed wrong as to the version of my kernel.  This is my home
machine we're discussing, and I'm writing this email at work, so I can't
check the version number.  I have whatever kernel shipped on RH v3.0.3
earlier this year.

Quote:> Hope I was of some assistance. =8^)

Thank you!

-Brian

--
Brian Kasper              | "The only way to deal with bureaucrats is with
The Aerospace Corporation |  stealth and sudden *." - U.N Secretary

Opinions are my own    O- |

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. How to start two X servers?

3. Red Hat: What are you supposed to do with a Kernel Source RPM?

4. Adding a keyboard to /dev?

5. Emacs sources and Red Hat RPMs

6. RH 7.1 / ATI Radeon / Strange Consoles / Please Help!

7. Problem with Red Hat 7.0 upgrade on old PC

8. Compiler question

9. Red hat 5.2 [upgrading] Unable to open /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc for reading

10. Any RPM OS checking when install or upgrade package on Red Hat linux?

11. Red Hat (rpm) kernel upgrades?

12. Red Hat RPM Upgrade from 2.0 to 2.7

13. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9