xmail w/ popclient uses wrong return address

xmail w/ popclient uses wrong return address

Post by david guert » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

        I'm using popclient to read my mail from a remote mailserver.
Then I use xmail to read the mail once it's local (I struck out with
xmh, and besides, xmail is a bit nicer).  It works OK,
except that when I send mail or reply to messages my return
address is given as localhost!dave (my local login name) instead of my
actual e-mail address on the remote server, which is

a remote mailserver, so it will use the correct address?
        I'm using xmail 1.6 and Linux 1.2.5.

Cheers,
Dave

--

* Dept. of Agricultural Meteorology     ph:  (402) 437-5178 x 20
* University of Nebraska                FAX: (402) 437-5712

Post by randall k. hand » Sun, 04 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>    I'm using popclient to read my mail from a remote mailserver.
>Then I use xmail to read the mail once it's local (I struck out with
>xmh, and besides, xmail is a bit nicer).  It works OK,
>except that when I send mail or reply to messages my return
>address is given as localhost!dave (my local login name) instead of my
>actual e-mail address on the remote server, which is

>a remote mailserver, so it will use the correct address?
>    I'm using xmail 1.6 and Linux 1.2.5.

Your problem is not in xmail or popclient but rather sendmail.  There is a line
in /etc/sendmail.cf that will allow your local machine to masquerade as another
machine.  The line you want is:

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading)
DMunlinfo.unl.edu

You will need to change your login on your local machine to match the remotes
ie. instead of dave use dguertin

--
Randy Hands

Post by Anthony Barl » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: >address is given as localhost!dave (my local login name) instead of my
: >actual e-mail address on the remote server, which is

: Your problem is not in xmail or popclient but rather sendmail.  There is a line
: in /etc/sendmail.cf that will allow your local machine to masquerade as another
: machine.  The line you want is:

: # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading)
: DMunlinfo.unl.edu

: You will need to change your login on your local machine to match the remotes
: ie. instead of dave use dguertin

He could also change the aliases file as well, so that mail to dguertin on his machine does not bounce. Or edit the .forward file in his home dir to forward the mail onto his other address.

Regards.
Anthony

Post by Jeff Hutchiso » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>    I'm using popclient to read my mail from a remote mailserver.
>Then I use xmail to read the mail once it's local (I struck out with
>xmh, and besides, xmail is a bit nicer).  It works OK,
>except that when I send mail or reply to messages my return
>address is given as localhost!dave (my local login name) instead of my
>actual e-mail address on the remote server, which is

>a remote mailserver, so it will use the correct address?
>    I'm using xmail 1.6 and Linux 1.2.5.

Can you set the "Reply-to:" header field? This should at least get replies back
to you.

Post by Randall D. Burdsa » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>    I'm using popclient to read my mail from a remote mailserver.
>Then I use xmail to read the mail once it's local (I struck out with
>xmh, and besides, xmail is a bit nicer).  It works OK,
>except that when I send mail or reply to messages my return
>address is given as localhost!dave (my local login name) instead of my
>actual e-mail address on the remote server, which is

>a remote mailserver, so it will use the correct address?
>    I'm using xmail 1.6 and Linux 1.2.5.
>Cheers,
>Dave

Just edit your sendmail.cf file and at the line beginning with

# some explanation about masquerading
DM

change it to

# blah...blah....blah...
DM your.providers.mailhost

It worked for me...

Randy....

1. Wrong sender's return address when using vacation for auto-reply

Hi,

I've just set up vacation for usue as some of our people are going
away for a few weeks and I run into a problem.

When the system replies "User away, etc..." it adds the hostname to
the domain name in the user's email address..

Example:

Help, so little time is allowed to work on problems in this place..
I'm sure it must be a very easy switch in the sendmail conf files, if
you knwo it well, but I have no time to experiment too much. :(

Thank you much if you can help.

2. How to block specific email addreses from sending mail to any account on the Unix Alpha server

3. Mail return addresses are wrong-how to fix

4. RUNLINUX.BAT reboots computer (Fall '94 Plug 'N Play)

5. wrong return address

6. From REXX to ...

7. Mail return addresses are wrong-how to fix

8. undump for Solaris 2

9. shmat returns wrong address

10. Wrong return address in e-mail messages

11. Using balance: IP addresses in access logs wrong

12. Apache uses wrong IP address