Download over a telnet session

Post by Jeremy Cowg » Wed, 12 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone know if you can download over a telnet session. Heres the case.
Our users call into a DOS system (The MajorBBS), then telnet to the Linux box
and run slip. This works fine. But for people who can not, or do not want slip
we setup a simple menu for them to load such programs as Gopher, Lynx, etc...
All these are accessed via the telnet command of MajorBBS. However I can not
make it upload or download via telnet! I have herd people say that this is
impossible, but I have done it before. Is there special parameters need for
sz/rz? Does anyone know how to do this?

Jeremy Cowgar

http://www.prgone.com/

Post by gand.. » Tue, 18 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: Does anyone know if you can download over a telnet session. Heres the case.
: Our users call into a DOS system (The MajorBBS), then telnet to the Linux box
: and run slip. This works fine. But for people who can not, or do not want slip
: we setup a simple menu for them to load such programs as Gopher, Lynx, etc...
: All these are accessed via the telnet command of MajorBBS. However I can not
: make it upload or download via telnet! I have herd people say that this is
: impossible, but I have done it before. Is there special parameters need for
: sz/rz? Does anyone know how to do this?

Yes there is a special parameter to force telnet into 8bit, but that
still might not help. ZModem just doesnt like long network chains. It
gave up too much error checking in favor of speed.

But I can almost gaurantee that KERMIT will work. Thats what it is for.
Plus sine it is standalone and public domain, you can script alot of
automatic actions using it.

The biggest problem is that BBSers who are just moving into the UNIX
world will snear at KERMIT and still scream for ZModem. But chances are
it is on their telecom program if they look.
-=[ Gandalf ]=-

Download over a telnet session

Post by Dave Pla » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>                                      I have herd people say that this is
>: impossible, but I have done it before. Is there special parameters need for
>: sz/rz? Does anyone know how to do this?

>Yes there is a special parameter to force telnet into 8bit, but that
>still might not help. ZModem just doesnt like long network chains. It
>gave up too much error checking in favor of speed.

In its normal "streaming" mode, ZMODEM does tend to be allergic to
network or modem links with large amounts of buffering in them, or with
less-than-fully-reliable flow control.

There is an easy workaround:  use sliding window mode.  In my
experience, this eliminates almost all flow-control problems, and
greatly improves ZMODEM reliability over long, highly-buffered links, at
a throughput cost of a couple of percent.

When downloading, try "sz -w 2048".  When uploading, check the ZMODEM
parameters for your terminal program - set the window size to 2048 (or
1024 in extreme cases).  You may also find it helpful to set the "escape
control characters" switch.

My understanding is that KERMIT's "SuperKermit" mode uses a
sliding-window technique (as does TCP, the uucp 'g' protocol, and
probably quite a few others).
--

      USNAIL: The 3DO Company, Systems Software group
              600 Galveston Drive

1. Session disconnects in a telnet session

I am getting connected to a Red Hat Linux 6.0 box thru a telent session in
winodws NT. After around 20-30 min of inactivity with the telnet session,
Linux automatically closes the session. Is there a parameter to change this
time or disable this feature.

Normally there is a TMOUT that can be set in profile but I don't see it in
the profile (not in the /etc/profile too). I am using /bin/ksh as my default
shell.

Thanks for your help.

2. Problem with Axis PrintServers

3. --> Session disconnects in a telnet session <--

4. Memtool reqd for Solaris 2.6

5. Difference between XWindows session and telnet session

6. How to check file size and create date < 24hr?

7. view a tty console session from a telnet session.

8. Serial I/O and X wont work

9. Starting X session from telnet session

10. PPP/Telnet - What tty invoked a telnet session?

11. rz/zmodem: tip session, escape to local 'rz' for zmodem download

12. find and increase telnet sessions??

13. limiting telnet sessions/user