Linux 2.0.10 and wtmp??

Post by Leare » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

i recently upgraded to 2.0.10, and it seems to work like a charm.
but my wtmp has disappeared. so the command "last" ceases to work,
as does any "finger" trys.. "user never logged in"

i grepped the linux source directory, but didn't come up with any
wtmp remarks.. is this something i messed up?

tempest:~$ last
/var/log/wtmp: No such file or directory

thanks for your help!

Linux 2.0.10 and wtmp??

Post by Ray Wald » Sun, 18 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>i recently upgraded to 2.0.10, and it seems to work like a charm.
>but my wtmp has disappeared. so the command "last" ceases to work,
>as does any "finger" trys.. "user never logged in"

>i grepped the linux source directory, but didn't come up with any
>wtmp remarks.. is this something i messed up?

>tempest:~$ last
>/var/log/wtmp: No such file or directory

>thanks for your help!

The release notes for libc 5.2.xx explains the change. In a nutshell,
there must be the following files: /var/run/utmp and /var/log/wtmp.
Any other utmp and wtmp (like in /etc or wherever else) should be
made into symbolic links to the files in /var.

1. L 10 10 10 10...

help! frustration turning to anger!

installed OpenLinux 1.3 have a Windows NT system with 2 EIDE drives,
4.3G and 5.7G. The latter was unused so I decided to install there just
to avoid any potential problems.  First time things appeared to go
pretty well.  Being new to Linux I read a number of HOW-To docs
including the one on Linux+NT-Loader.  I followed the instructions to
the letter including using the bootpart util to add Linux to the NT menu
and installing LILO on the linux partition rather than the NT MBR, so I
figured I was all set when the install and X-Windows config appeared to
go well and I had Linux up and running pretty quickly.  However, when I
rebooted the system to bring up NT I discovered that one of the
partitions on the first drive, the one with the DOS partitions, had been
completely wiped.  Specifically the logical drive that linux knew as
/dev/hda6 had been emptied, even though I had used fdisk to create linux
native and swap partitions on /dev/hdb1, /dev/hdb3, /dev/hdb4.  NT still
worked, but virtually all of my own applications and files were gone.
    The best was yet to come, however.  When I tried to use the Linux
option off the NT menu I got a message that the ntoskrnl was corrupt.
As I said I was still able to run NT fine.  I quickly discovered that I
could still use the boot/install disk to get linux running and
everything seemed to work fine.  At this point I began to second guess
which of the two linux native partitions I had installed LILO, so I
decided to reinstall linux.  Again everything seemed to go ok, except...

    I still couldn't use the NT menu to get to Linux, so I decided to
delete the linux partitions, and start over.  This is where the big
trouble is...now when I try to boot the system with the boot/install
disk that comes with 1.3 all I get is
L 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10...
using rawrite to create a boot disk has the same effect...and trying to
boot with a Red Hat 4.1 boot.img disk produces something very similar...

LILO
error 0X10

if anybody can help, you'd make a rapidly aging man very happy,
Dick

2. Screen size?

3. Connecting 10-base-2 and 10-base-T to linux box

4. Xwindows

5. Linux Meeting and Seminar (10/24, 10/26)

6. "getf" function under Solaris 2.1

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. process problem

9. RHat Linux: Ether 3com 3c59x 10/100 Cannot set to 10 for hub...

10. wtmp /var/adm/wtmp No such file or directory

11. Please help! L 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 10 10 10 10 04 10ILO

12. 10/100 card won't talk to 10/100 hub

13. WTS: Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 and Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9