Help fd tmc-950

Post by Bruce Lewi » Sat, 27 Aug 1994 23:29:15

I currently have a 486-33 with two ide drives.  I added a scsi card(fd
tmc-950) along with a hard drive.  Tried to boot system into linux got
about 30 secs into it system showed following msg => "Partition Check:
SCSI host3 timed out aborting command".  System froze and I had to reset.
 Anybody give me an Idea of what happened and what to do to fix it?

Help fd tmc-950

Post by Reinhard Schiedermei » Tue, 30 Aug 1994 17:39:58

: I currently have a 486-33 with two ide drives.  I added a scsi card(fd
: tmc-950) along with a hard drive.  Tried to boot system into linux got
: about 30 secs into it system showed following msg => "Partition Check:
: SCSI host3 timed out aborting command".  System froze and I had to reset.
:  Anybody give me an Idea of what happened and what to do to fix it?

Hi--
I have a TMC-950, too. Linux won't see the harddisks, when I boot
in Turbo mode. As soon as I switch to slow speed, everything works fine.
The slow mode is only necessary for booting.
As soon as the partition check is over I go back to turbo mode,
and Linux runs with no problems.
Don't ask me why this is so, I have no idea.

--Schiedi

ps: Linux seems to identify my TMC-950 as a ST-01/02. I have tried
boot params for lilo (tmc8xx=...), changed the kernel source to recognize the
bios signature of the TMC-950, and switched the TMC-950 to different
base addresses. Nothing helped.
If you find out something useful, please let me know.
Switching to slow mode just for booting Linux is annoying.