AMD486DX4-120 upgrade, Linux won't finish booting now.

AMD486DX4-120 upgrade, Linux won't finish booting now.

Post by Neal Howa » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Help! I just upgraded my Linux box to the AMD 120Mhz chip & new
motherboard (EFA 486 PCI w/UMC chipset) and now Linux will not
complete the bootup. It starts like it's going to run like a
real screamer (60.45 bogomips) but as soon as is gets to the
/etc/rc.d/rc.S and begins testing the filesystem, it then
blows up  with:
"Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address c0000000"
followed by a bunch of other stuff as it finishes dying.
or somtimes it gives "Invalid operand:0000" and a bunch of other stuff that
looks like a dump of cpu registers & such.
It does this whether I boot from my hard drive or from floppies. When I try
to boot from floppies (including using the color144 root filesys disk)
sometimes it will boot all the way to let me log in as root, but usually
craps out with the same kind of error message after typing in a few chars
of the first command (like trying to mount my hard drive into /mnt or even
doing a "ps -x". Kernel version is 1.2.13  on Slackware 2.3.

any ideas?

= "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. If Fuzzy Wuzzy  =
=  had no hair, then Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, wuz he ?!!!"         =
=  http://www.pcss.net/~neal  <-------My home page, check it out.   =

Post by Mark Hutchis » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Help! I just upgraded my Linux box to the AMD 120Mhz chip & new
>motherboard (EFA 486 PCI w/UMC chipset) and now Linux will not
>complete the bootup. It starts like it's going to run like a
>real screamer (60.45 bogomips) but as soon as is gets to the
>/etc/rc.d/rc.S and begins testing the filesystem, it then
>blows up  with:
>"Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address c0000000"
>followed by a bunch of other stuff as it finishes dying.
>or somtimes it gives "Invalid operand:0000" and a bunch of other stuff that
>looks like a dump of cpu registers & such.
>It does this whether I boot from my hard drive or from floppies. When I try
>to boot from floppies (including using the color144 root filesys disk)
>sometimes it will boot all the way to let me log in as root, but usually
>craps out with the same kind of error message after typing in a few chars
>of the first command (like trying to mount my hard drive into /mnt or even
>doing a "ps -x". Kernel version is 1.2.13  on Slackware 2.3.
>any ideas?
>--

You could try changing the cashe to write through, or modifying the
cashe and memory timings to slow things right down, then change 1 parameter
at a time until it stops working again then back off that parameter. Assuming
that the memory timings are the culpret. On my system I had to change the
cashe burst write from 1T to 2T otherwise I got crc errors uncompressing
the kernel.

Post by Neal Howa » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>Help! I just upgraded my Linux box to the AMD 120Mhz chip & new
>>motherboard (EFA 486 PCI w/UMC chipset) and now Linux will not
>>complete the bootup. It starts like it's going to run like a
>>real screamer (60.45 bogomips) but as soon as is gets to the
>>/etc/rc.d/rc.S and begins testing the filesystem, it then
>>blows up  with:
>>"Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address c0000000"
>>followed by a bunch of other stuff as it finishes dying.
>>or somtimes it gives "Invalid operand:0000" and a bunch of other stuff that
>>looks like a dump of cpu registers & such.
>>It does this whether I boot from my hard drive or from floppies. When I try
>>to boot from floppies (including using the color144 root filesys disk)
>>sometimes it will boot all the way to let me log in as root, but usually
>>craps out with the same kind of error message after typing in a few chars
>>of the first command (like trying to mount my hard drive into /mnt or even
>>doing a "ps -x". Kernel version is 1.2.13  on Slackware 2.3.

>>any ideas?
>>--

>You could try changing the cashe to write through, or modifying the
>cashe and memory timings to slow things right down, then change 1 parameter
>at a time until it stops working again then back off that parameter. Assuming
>that the memory timings are the culpret. On my system I had to change the
>cashe burst write from 1T to 2T otherwise I got crc errors uncompressing
>the kernel.

I've tried this, going to the max number of wait states allowed but
to no avail.  Setting the motherboard clock down to 33Mhz lets Linux
boot & run fairly stable (at 50 bogomips) but occasionally still crashes
with an "Oops", especially when I'm ftp'd in from another host and
recieving a file > 500k from this linux box. This is usually reproduceable.
Also FreeBSD will not run for very long at the 120Mhz speed on this same
machine.... it'll go for a few minutes until I run something cpu or
memory intensive. SCO 3.2v4.2 will not even boot on it. Windows 95 runs
perfectly like a champ on this box =8-o (Aarrgghh!!!!)

I give up.

= "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. If Fuzzy Wuzzy  =
=  had no hair, then Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, wuz he ?!!!"         =
=  http://www.pcss.net/~neal  <-------My home page, check it out.   =

1. Pentuim 120 won't boot linux!!!... Why?

 Hello.
I just got my new PCI motherboard with Intel Pentium 120Mhz.
To my surprize, linux won't boot on this CPU, unless I disable
internal cache in BIOS setup. From what I can see, doing this slows
the computer rather significatnly.
 Now, to the way it refuses to boot:
Linux loaders (all of them) type :

Uncompressing Linux
and at this point systems reboots itself. It works exactly the same way
with LILO, LoadLin, boot diskette.

Anybody have any ideas why does this happen???????
If I disable internal cache, linux boots fine, here's the contents of
/proc/cpuinfo: (Kernel 1.2.13)
cpu             : 586
model           : Pentium 90/100 *Note: It's Pentium 120, see BogoMips.
mask            : E
vid             : GenuineIntel
fdiv_bug        : no
math            : yes
hlt             : yes
wp              : yes
Integrated NPU  : yes
Enhanced VM86   : yes
IO Breakpoints  : yes
4MB Pages       : yes
TS Counters     : yes
Pentium MSR     : yes
Mach. Ch. Exep. : yes
CMPXCHGB8B      : yes
BogoMips        : 48.27
---------------------------------
It may be important to see what PCI driver finds:
/proc/pci
PCI devices found :
Bus  0 Device   0 Function  0.
    Host bridge : Intel 82437FX Triton (rev 2).
Bus  0 Device   7 Function  0.
    ISA bridge : Intel 82371FB (rev 2).
--------------------------------

--
 Roman Mitnitski
 Shani Information Technologies Ltd.

------
Quote of the day:

Goliath routinely obeyed the law of gravity, a phenomenon that worked
well long before it was understood.             -B.C. Educatiional Film

2. diald

3. LinuxPPC on a 7200/120 Won't boot from anything

4. Mesa faster then X-Inside OpenGL? Part 2

5. Making a boot disk with LS-120 (was Re: LS-120 clicking)

6. help with C on Linux

7. Booting with FDD 3.5'' Panasonic LS-120

8. Q: NFS directory updates or just 'ls'

9. RH 7.2 bad entry in fstab won't finish booting

10. RH 6.1 won't finish booting

11. 2.5.12-dj1: IDE trouble - RZ1000 still won't finish booting

12. 120 MB Floppy (LS-120) Linux?

13. The LS-120 drive - why won't it work?????????????????