backspace & delete - how to make them work

backspace & delete - how to make them work

Post by Mark Lehre » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hello.  I have been using X for awhile now and before I can give it to
some current Windows users, I would like to make the backspace &
delete more "windows-like".  Specifically, backspace should delete to
the left, and delete should delete to the right.

A helpful user send the following xmodmap commands and they have corrected
the problem in netscape's "compose" mode, but Applixware, Netscape, and
Emacs still do not work correctly:

/usr/X11/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace" &
/usr/X11/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete" &

Is this something that I must correct for each X application separately,
or is there a magic command I can use to make them work?  I am using
Red Hat 4.2 currently.

Thanks!
Mark

backspace & delete - how to make them work

Post by Russell Eugene Gla » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have the same exact problem.  I'm running Slackware 96.  and using
Lesstif as the Window manager.
Anyone have a solution?
                                                -----russ-----

--
+------------------------------------------+    -----russ-----

|--- http://www.wiu.edu/users/mureg3/homepage.htm |  that's my only excuse.
+-------------------------------------------------+  ----------------------

   Support Fine Arts Education in the USA.      http://www.AMC-Music.com

backspace & delete - how to make them work

Post by Dan Newcom » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have the same exact problem.  I'm running Slackware 96.  and using
>Lesstif as the Window manager.

Lesstif is not a window manager - it is a library.

Quote:>: /usr/X11/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace" &
>: /usr/X11/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete" &
>: Is this something that I must correct for each X application separately,
>: or is there a magic command I can use to make them work?  I am using
>: Red Hat 4.2 currently.

That will change X allover - it is not something you must do for each
app.  HOWEVER, afterwards, you terminal sessions may get confused.  For
instance, FTP will then just print ^H when you hit backspace, so you need
to do
        stty erase ^V(backspace)
where you press Control-V and then press backspace to make it know what to
use.

--

"Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe, But was
 that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?"  --Marillion

1. How to get BACKSPACE & DELETE working with Emacs 19.29 under X?

I recall having problems like this a while ago with Netscape.  Essentially, my Backspace and Delete keys
do the same thing (erase to the left and move the cursor).  I would like Backspace to function this way
but I would like Delete to delete to the right and NOT move the cursor.

How might I set things like this up under Emacs 19.29 under XFree 3.1.2?

The modifications I made a while ago for Netscape (which I haven't changed) are:

in .xinitrc:

xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete"

and in .Xdefaults (to fix things for Xterm) ... used to make Backspace and Del work properly when
running Emacs 19.25 (without X) in an Xterm.

.XTerm.VT100.Translations: #override <Key>BackSpace: string(0x7F)\n\
<Key>Delete:    string(0x04)\n\
<Key>Home:      string(0x1b) string("{1~")\n\
<Key>End:       string(0x1b) string("[4~")

So I am at a bit of a loss and would really like some help.

Thanks,

Dave Topper

2. concurrency in sh

3. Making Backspace as Delete

5. telnet to linux Backspace work; rsh xterm Backspace don't work

6. Netscape 4.51

7. backspace does delete not backspace

8. Abit BP6 vs. Tyan S1832DL ?

9. how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?

10. backspace delete doesn't work with some prompts

11. Getting KEYS to work (DELETE, BACKSPACE)

12. backspace and delete stopped working

13. Backspace and delete doesn't work in vi whilst in nxterm