Character Set flip-flop woes

Post by Jeev » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm running a Slackware linux system. I often need to write or read documents
in French, German, or Spanish, so one of the first things I did was edit the
keymap file to put dead_grave, dead_diaeresis, etc etc on the function keys.
These worked fine in the joe text editor, but when I switched to vim, they
printed greek letters. I consulted vim's documentation on diacritics, and it
contains three diacrtitic tables, all of which were screwed up (e+' mapped to
greek 'theta' for example) except the MS-DOS table. I forced vim to compile the
MS-DOS diacritics into the program, and then they were okay (after another
small tweak involving vim's 'isprint' setting). However, slrn, less, and
anything else besides joe or vim maps diacritics to greek letters and other
unwanted symbols. What is going on here? I'm pretty sure it has something
to do with the character sets being used in these documents and on my system,
but how do I fix it? I regularly need to transfer these multilingual text files
between linux and win...will switching character sets (or whatever it is I need
to do) mismap those characters in windows?

     J |  Copyright (c) 1997 Jeeves Industries Limited.
     J |  All rights reserved. Void where prohibited.
     J |  Some restrictions may apply. Limit 1 per customer.
 J   J |  Offer not valid in conjunction with any other offer.
  JJJ  |  Some sold separately. Not intended for children under 3.
From .cshrc:
alias rm 'rm -rf \!*'
alias hose kill -9 '`ps -augxww | grep \!* | awk \'{print $2}\'`'
alias kill 'kill -9 \!* ; kill -9 \!* ; kill -9 \!*'
alias renice 'echo Renice\?  You must mean kill -9.; kill -9 \!*'

1. is promuscuous mode a sort of flip-flop?

I have a linux box running snort, and yesterday I run tcpdump (on the
same machine) for tracking some connections in my network.
But there were no output for the tcpdump. Then I stopped it, but this
make the eth0 left the promiscuous mode, and then the snort did not
worked anymore.
After looking at the syslog I founded that the tcpdump make the eth0
left the promiscuous mode.
I restarted the snort, but when the snort stopped instead of making
the eth0 left the promiscuous mode, it made the device enter into it
when stopping, and left it ath the start!
(since my english is very monkey like, I'll try to draw the picture :)

# ./snort.sh start
syslog: kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode# tcpdump <....>
^C
syslog: kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
<snort captures nothing>
# ./snort.sh stop
syslog: kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
# ./snort.sh start
syslog: kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode

(snort.sh is a little bash script I made for stopping and starting
snort)
an so on, everytime I stopped or started the program
What is going on here?
Is this a flip-flop behaviour or what?

I use:

snort-1.8.1p
tcpdump version 3.4
libpcap version 0.4kernel 2.4.3
glibc-2.2.2-10

2. SMARTWARE PLUS

3. help! arpwatch flip flop

4. blkdev_get|put and how to get excl blk dev access w/i the kernel

5. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

6. Cable Modem & X10

7. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

8. PPP wierdness

9. Character set assigments (Re: How do I display IBM PC characters?)

10. Telnet character echo woes

11. Alternate Character Set????

12. How can I view eastern character set under Sun Solaris 2.6 x86

13. Changing character set in Pine