Linux and Plug 'n Pray

Post by James Hal » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Ok, so I bought a Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects and a Motorola Modemsrfr (both
plug 'n pray cards)
Is it at all possible to get these beasts to work under linux or should I
sell 'em and try to find some older non-plug'n'pray cards?

    -James, N9XLC

Linux and Plug 'n Pray

Post by T » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:23:29 -0500, "James Hall"

>Ok, so I bought a Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects and a Motorola Modemsrfr (both
>plug 'n pray cards)
>Is it at all possible to get these beasts to work under linux or should I
>sell 'em and try to find some older non-plug'n'pray cards?

>    -James, N9XLC

Speaking from the RedHat camp, I would say your chance of getting these
configured - - either by PnP or with manual configuration - - is nearly
100 percent.

TL
"There's a lot to learn
 from wasting time."   -Mr. Neil Young

Linux and Plug 'n Pray

Post by James Hal » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

ok, that explains why I've had problems getting them running.
I haven't found a place where I could get a cheap linux (redhat or slakware)
cd and book combo (tho someone offered one to me not too long ago in a new
newsgroup for like $10 but my m$ program I use for mail right now crashes
regularly and I lost his email address and the name of the newsgroup!). So
right now I'm stuck with a small "distro" I downloaded (downloading stuff is
slow!) called Monkey Linux (don't laugh! look at www.fdisk.com!) and I think
its a version of MiniLinux. I got it just to play around with so...
(btw, if anyone has a book/cd combo they'd be willing to sell for $10 I'd
buy it!)

--
     -James, N9XLC

      (remove nospam to reply)

>>On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:23:29 -0500, "James Hall"

>>>Ok, so I bought a Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects and a Motorola Modemsrfr
(both
>>>plug 'n pray cards)
>>>Is it at all possible to get these beasts to work under linux or should I
>>>sell 'em and try to find some older non-plug'n'pray cards?

>>>    -James, N9XLC

Linux and Plug 'n Pray

Post by nate dutr » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> ok, that explains why I've had problems getting them running.
> I haven't found a place where I could get a cheap linux (redhat or
slakware)
> cd and book combo (tho someone offered one to me not too long ago in a
new
> newsgroup for like $10 but my m$ program I use for mail right now crashes
> regularly and I lost his email address and the name of the newsgroup!).
So
> right now I'm stuck with a small "distro" I downloaded (downloading stuff
is
> slow!) called Monkey Linux (don't laugh! look at www.fdisk.com!) and I
think
> its a version of MiniLinux. I got it just to play around with so...
> (btw, if anyone has a book/cd combo they'd be willing to sell for $10 I'd
> buy it!)

Check out http://www.cheapbytes.com you can get the current GPL version of
RedHat (ie: no commercial stuff) for $1.99 plus shipping!

I got it, and I'm trying out RH from Slackware and it's pretty nice ...
there are some RH 'isms' that I'm still working on understanding (for
example, I recompiled the kernel but it didn't use the new one ... make
zlilo was enough in Slackware but not in RH, I probably have to copy it
somewhere).

later.

--

I do not speak for Epic Systems Corporation...man!

Linux and Plug 'n Pray

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I got it, and I'm trying out RH from Slackware and it's pretty nice ...
> there are some RH 'isms' that I'm still working on understanding (for
> example, I recompiled the kernel but it didn't use the new one ... make
> zlilo was enough in Slackware but not in RH, I probably have to copy it
> somewhere).

yup - make zimage by default puts the kernel in /vmlinuz, while redhat's
lilo.conf puts it in /boot/vmlinuz.

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.80p4 i586 | at public servers
"Note that if I can get you to "su and say" something just by asking,
you have a very serious security problem on your system and you should
look into it."
(By Paul Vixie, vixie-cron 3.0.1 installation notes)

Linux and Plug 'n Pray

Post by Rodney Hopkin » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I got it, and I'm trying out RH from Slackware and it's pretty nice ...
>there are some RH 'isms' that I'm still working on understanding (for
>example, I recompiled the kernel but it didn't use the new one ... make
>zlilo was enough in Slackware but not in RH, I probably have to copy it
>somewhere).

>later.

>--

>I do not speak for Epic Systems Corporation...man!

i had that same problem too.  I like RedHat a little better then Slackware,
because once i got it set up, i didnt have to 'fuss' over it much.  I'm
still getting used to its 'isms' though.

Red Hat on install places the linux boot image in /boot, but when u run
'make zlilo', it places the image in /.  To make it go into /boot, u have to
edit the makefile in /usr/src/linux.  There is a comment out line pretty was
near the top of the file that says something like 'output directory' or
something like that.  Id give ya better directions, but im in winblows right
now. :o)  But if you uncoment that line, and you'll see wht i mean when ya
see it, and put /boot as the option parameter (should be allready), then
next time you run make zlilo, it will place the new image in make.  I also
had to edit lilo.conf to get it to look for the right image.   hope this
helps!

rk:)

1. Plug'n'Pray: 2 identical isa nics

I have 2 3Com Etherlink III 509B cards, which are isa and pnp. They
both default to irq 10 and io_addr 0x300. When Linux starts up it
recognizes one of them and associates it w/eth0. If I put
'append="ether=0,0,eth1"' in lilo.conf it will recognize the other
one, but give it the same default parameters. If I replace 0,0
w/parameters, then it won't assign eth1 as a device. Unfortunately,
isapnp (which I have duly prepared for in /etc/isapnp.conf) configures
the card *after* Linux assigns device names). When I first get the
opportunity, pnpdump -d confirms that the cards were configured as I
wanted them.
        From what I can tell the problem comes down to this, Linux
won't make a device name (eth1) w/a card that it can't communicate w/.
So to make eth1 I'd have to use default parameters that the card has
at the time.  And I can't change the parameters (like io_addr and irq)
until after the name has been assigned. I tried doing something like:
        ifconfig eth1 irq 9 io_addr 0x220 up
but I got a lot of complains that seem tantamount to developmental
cursing. I'm out of ideas.

        Others have brought ideas like the modules, but nothing of
consequence is a module. There is only on meaningful module that would
be relevant (the nic module) and that is compiled into the kernel.
--
        Angus March
          VE2 UFP

http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~ac_march/addr.html (very frivolous)

2. Voodoo 3 runs slow

3. NE1000/NE2000 Plug'N'Pray

4. icmpInOverflows?

5. Solaris7 and Plug'n'pray

6. kde3 and anti-aliasing

7. Plug and Play my ass or Plug and Pray

8. SATAN error messags for Solaris

9. TX-111 plug 'n pray sound card

10. Plug n Pray disabled for 2 NIC's?

11. Plug and Pray hardware on Linux