Navigator Fails.

Post by m& » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi fellows:
Whenever I try to visit web pages with Java functions enabled, such as
www.java.sun.com, Navigator quits without any warning. Is there a way to
correct this problem?
Thanks
m&m

Navigator Fails.

Post by Frank Rih » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi fellows:
> Whenever I try to visit web pages with Java functions enabled, such as
> www.java.sun.com, Navigator quits without any warning. Is there a way to
> correct this problem?
> Thanks
> m&m

Have you tried disabling Java in the preferences?

Are you getting any messages from it?  Run it from the command line,
or check the ~/.xsession-errors file.  It could be a mismatched .jar
file.  Sometimes if you have a CLASSPATH defined it can mess up the
Navigator JVM.  Mine usually doen't die tho', just can't start java.
You can also add the java40.jar file in the netscape/java/classes
directory onto your classpath, but this could cause some problems with
standalone Java apps.

Some things to try, anyways.

fdr

Navigator Fails.

Post by m& » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

As you said Frank, I ran Navigator from the command line, and when navigator
quit, the error message was "Bus error".
I was not able to locate any options to disable Java in preferences.
In the netscape directory, there is no java director exists.
Any more advices?
Thanks

>> Hi fellows:
>> Whenever I try to visit web pages with Java functions enabled, such as
>> www.java.sun.com, Navigator quits without any warning. Is there a way to
>> correct this problem?
>> Thanks
>> m&m

>Have you tried disabling Java in the preferences?

>Are you getting any messages from it?  Run it from the command line,
>or check the ~/.xsession-errors file.  It could be a mismatched .jar
>file.  Sometimes if you have a CLASSPATH defined it can mess up the
>Navigator JVM.  Mine usually doen't die tho', just can't start java.
>You can also add the java40.jar file in the netscape/java/classes
>directory onto your classpath, but this could cause some problems with
>standalone Java apps.

>Some things to try, anyways.

>fdr

Navigator Fails.

Post by Philip Shor » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> As you said Frank, I ran Navigator from the command line, and when navigator
> quit, the error message was "Bus error".
> I was not able to locate any options to disable Java in preferences.
> In the netscape directory, there is no java director exists.
> Any more advices?
> Thanks

I have upgraded to 4.51 as I have found older versions to be not so good
at java. It all seems pretty reliable now.

Phil.

Navigator Fails.

Post by Greg Steckma » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have 4.6, and it doesn't work with Java either. it sounds like not everyone has
this problem so maybe its an installation specific issue?  I tried the red hat RPM
and the tarball off the netscape web site, they both had the same problem. It
could be that I have kaffe, as well as jdk 1.7 and 1.2 from blackdown installed,
and its getting all screwed up by mixing and matching runtimes with classes. I'll
have to check into that. For now I just disabled Java, and there is an option in
the preferences menu for it. It's under the advanced options.

-Greg

> > As you said Frank, I ran Navigator from the command line, and when navigator
> > quit, the error message was "Bus error".
> > I was not able to locate any options to disable Java in preferences.
> > In the netscape directory, there is no java director exists.
> > Any more advices?
> > Thanks

> I have upgraded to 4.51 as I have found older versions to be not so good
> at java. It all seems pretty reliable now.

> Phil.

Navigator Fails.

Post by Michel Catuda » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I have 4.6, and it doesn't work with Java either. it sounds like not everyone has
> this problem so maybe its an installation specific issue?  I tried the red hat RPM
> and the tarball off the netscape web site, they both had the same problem. It
> could be that I have kaffe, as well as jdk 1.7 and 1.2 from blackdown installed,
> and its getting all screwed up by mixing and matching runtimes with classes. I'll
> have to check into that. For now I just disabled Java, and there is an option in
> the preferences menu for it. It's under the advanced options.

> -Greg

I have java 1.1.7v1a-9 installed (came with SuSE)
and it works fine with 4.5 US version.
4.51 and up will crash on certain java sites

I wouldn't know about the export versions as I don't see any
logical reason to install any of em'

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access

1. Netscape Navigator - ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libXt.so.6.0"

I think you either installed Elf version of XFree86 without the
compatability aout libs or don't have the ldconfig_path_aout set.

Netscape is looking for these aout libs (no elf version available yet?)
(the extension is .so.6.0 which is old aout format, the elf format uses
just a single digit .so.6).

Once you get the aout libs you also need to set the aout ld path in
/etc/rc.conf

ldconfig_paths_aout="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib/aout
/usr/local/lib/aout"

tonym

2. Serial Logitech mouse problems in XF86

3. Kernel 2.1.x fails to compile... and fails... and fails...

4. Bill Gates' email address

5. Navigator 4.0 (Communicator Preview Rel 1)

6. endianess convertion

7. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

8. Voodoo 3 3500 tvout

9. Is Sun selling/supporting Netscape Navigator?

10. Netscape Navigator, Adobe Acrobat Reader

11. Win 98 is out: Is Netscape Navigator dead?

12. source navigator

13. IBM Optical Navigator