Damn, I did a rm -f *

Post by Harald Pauls » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Sometimes I hate myself and I want to die =)
Is there a way I can dump the unused sectors of my 250MB linux
partition to a file or something? Or in worst case, a program
to find what areas of the disk are unused, and a program to
dump those sectors.

--
Harald
make: *** No rule to make target `love'.  Stop.

Damn, I did a rm -f *

Post by Andre Pete » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

regarding "Damn, I did a rm -f *":

Quote:> Is there a way I can dump the unused sectors of my 250MB linux
> partition to a file or something? Or in worst case, a program
> to find what areas of the disk are unused, and a program to
> dump those sectors.

> Harald

I don't know of any. But for future, you might want to use the safe-
delete package, which backs up the deleted files for a given period
of days. current version is 1.3, I think.

--
-- experience is something you get right after you need it. --
-- finger for geek code --

Damn, I did a rm -f *

Post by Leonardo Ser » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Sometimes I hate myself and I want to die =)
>Is there a way I can dump the unused sectors of my 250MB linux
>partition to a file or something? Or in worst case, a program
>to find what areas of the disk are unused, and a program to
>dump those sectors.

I guess that dd should work, but of course you must remember not to
dump the resulting file on the 250 Mb partition.

Else, Norton Disk Doctor for DOS, v4.5, or Norton Disk Tool, v5.0+,
can dump the whole partition as 'absolute sectors' to a file.

Since ext2fs is non-fragmenting, all your text data should be easily
(well, comparatively) recoverable.

Anyway I would try to look for an undelete for Linux. Perhaps there
exists something...?

Leonardo

Damn, I did a rm -f *

Post by Robert Komane » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I don't know of any. But for future, you might want to use the safe-
> delete package, which backs up the deleted files for a given period
> of days. current version is 1.3, I think.

Is there no such package in the distribution or is it hidden
under some obscure name?

--

UMEL FEI VUT        check out if http://www.umel.fee.vutbr.cz is alive

Damn, I did a rm -f *

Post by Andre Pete » Sun, 08 Sep 1996 04:00:00

regarding "Damn, I did a rm -f *":

Quote:> > I don't know of any. But for future, you might want to use the safe-
> > delete package, which backs up the deleted files for a given period
> > of days. current version is 1.3, I think.

> Is there no such package in the distribution or is it hidden
> under some obscure name?

just have a look at sunsite or one of its mirrors. ;-)

Andre

--
-- experience is something you get right after you need it. --
-- finger for geek code --

1. Damn cron/xauth (or damn me)...

I start X as non-root (mike).  I have a crontab (root's) to start a script
in ~/root.  I want that csh script (root's) to execute a couple X apps.
So I found a tip to point root's XAUTH* var to /home/mike/.Xauth*.  If I
add the XAUTH* env to root's dot file (csh) and start a term I can start
xedit (example) no problem (and if I don't add the var I get Xlib errs as
expected).  But I can't get the same thing to work from root's crontab.

In root's crontab I've tried:

*export XAUTHORITY=/home/mike/.Xauthority; env > /root/cron_env*
(and *XAUTHORITY=/home/mike/.Xauthority; export; env > /root/cron_env*)

and I get:

PWD=/root
XAUTHORITY=/home/mike/.Xauthority
etc.

I added a cat to the crontab to see if it's readable to cron and it is.  I
also added:

setenv XAUTHORITY /home/mike/.Xauthority

to the start of the csh script root's crontab is calling.  But it will not
start the X apps.  (Redirecting stderr) I always get:

Error: Can't open display:

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

What is going on?  Or better yet, can someone tell me what to change in
root's crontab (or root's csh script) to get this working?

Thanks...

Mike
--

------------------------

  Help Wanted: Psychic.  You know where to apply.

2. NEED XF86Config for Mach32 & Vivitron1572,

3. Damn Mandrake! Damn rpmfind!

4. where get cdrom with slack2.3 and slack3.0 ?

5. MS internal memos damn DR DOS

6. Question On ROM Bios Shadowing In LINUX

7. rm won't rm

8. Signal Trap on Terminal Emulator Kill

9. User doing rm /var/mail/<username> permission denied

10. find rm {} vs. rm -r

11. rm command needs rm -r on RedHat

12. (sol8 (intel))alias rm to rm -i in ksh88

13. How do I set up an alias of rm="rm -i" as the root user?