syslogd does not log ip-packet-logs any more

syslogd does not log ip-packet-logs any more

Post by peter pils » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:13:54

I wonder, what I did to my system, but it stopped logging a lot of things
about a month ago. Most recognizeable is that there is no logging of
ipchains-logs any more (kind of 'ipchains -A frombad -j DENY -l')

funny thing is, I can still view these logs with dmesg, so this is not a
ipchains-problem.

for testing, I set up a quite simple syslog.conf:

*.*                                                     /var/log/messages

So this should just log all the stuff !! And I didnt change the kernel
since last summer, so this also cannot be the reason ....

peter

--

goldfisch.at

1. Check your ppp.log or ppp.tun0.log in /var/log

Hi,

I was having a look through my FreeBSD 2.2.2 system last night after
compiling myself a new kernel, so was feeling pretty chuffed about it
(being my first FreeBSD kernel) when I noticed that the directory and
contents of /var/log/ were world-readable.

While it's pretty understandable that some log files have world
attributes it seems INSANE that ppp.log (or, in my case, ppp.tun0.log)
be world-readable. After a quick cat of the file I found, for all to
see, plain text copies of my ISP password visible.

I suppose it's prudent to run around clamping all these files down, but
it strikes me as odd that they'd default to world-readable.

Well, it's probably not a major discovery, but I'd thought I'd bring it
to your attention anyway.

Cya,

--
Matt Bruce

NB: Remove X's to email me (anti-spam)

2. Interesting article.

3. ipppd logs in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ??

4. s390 is totally broken in 2.4.18

5. logging - "secure" logs don't tell me who is logging in?

6. JDK 1.0.2 with Linux

7. How can I get ipppd to log in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ????

8. Linux with FAT32/Win98

9. syslogd not logging anymore

10. syslogd not logging

11. User logging (WAS: Is it possible to log original IP addresses?)

12. syslogd not logging problem

13. panic not logged by syslogd