Metro X Server or Xfree86?

Post by Neela Mohan Gollapu » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I was wondering if people had any opinions between the Metro X Server
and Xfree86 - just for use, not for development.
Criteria are obviously speed and stability.
Thanks
neela

Metro X Server or Xfree86?

Post by THONNE PIERR » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've tried the MetroX server on my laptop (Pentium 120Mzh). I use RH5.1
with KDE.
It work smothly with no problem. I've not make any benchmark. I came
back to the SVGA server from XFree86 because the metrox server was not a
plus for me. The plus is that the MetroX server can handle more than one
GraphicCard/screen + the touch screen.

Pierre

> ----------

> Posted At:         Monday 30 November 1998 7:59
> Posted To:         misc
> Conversation:      Metro X Server or Xfree86?
> Subject:   Metro X Server or Xfree86?

> I was wondering if people had any opinions between the Metro X Server
> and Xfree86 - just for use, not for development.
> Criteria are obviously speed and stability.
> Thanks
> neela

Metro X Server or Xfree86?

Post by Jim Nicholso » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've run both under RH5.0, both were very stable.  I've not
benchmarked them, co I can't comment on speed.

One thing I would say is that Metro-X requires you to disable gpm
before you startx, plus it wouldn't let me run X applications as an
su'd user. Which is why I switched back to XFree86.

Jim

Metro X Server or Xfree86?

Post by Michael McConnel » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I've run both under RH5.0, both were very stable.  I've not
> benchmarked them, co I can't comment on speed.

> One thing I would say is that Metro-X requires you to disable gpm
> before you startx, plus it wouldn't let me run X applications as an
> su'd user. Which is why I switched back to XFree86.

I can't say for Metro-X, but for XFree86, to run an su'd X app, I first have
to xhost +<my hostname> ... Did you try that on Metro-X?

-- Soruk
#include <sigfile.h>        [M1CNV]           http://www.eridani.demon.co.uk
DFAX: +44 (0)8701-600807    P2-333: Windows crashes faster!
Tel: +44 (0)403-627954      Linux: Because Windows95 is a pane in the glass..

Metro X Server or Xfree86?

Post by Jim Nicholso » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > I've run both under RH5.0, both were very stable.  I've not
> > benchmarked them, co I can't comment on speed.

> > One thing I would say is that Metro-X requires you to disable gpm
> > before you startx, plus it wouldn't let me run X applications as an
> > su'd user. Which is why I switched back to XFree86.

> I can't say for Metro-X, but for XFree86, to run an su'd X app, I first have
> to xhost +<my hostname> ... Did you try that on Metro-X?

As I recall Metro-X was using user-based authenticaton, not host
based, whereas XFree86 was using host-based auhentication, and my host
was already known to xhost.

1. Metro-X server or XFree86???

Hi,

Because it came on my CD distribution with RedHat 5.1, I installed the
Metro-X server.  The hype on the box said it was "great".  Is it really?
Does anybody know anything about it?  Does it require more or less in terms
of system ressources?

Thanks,
Philip

2. How to move a raw partition using "ftp".

3. What makes Metro-X any better than XFree86?

5. Any advantage to Metro-X over XFree86 for older card?

6. DHCPD doesn't get the rite address...

7. Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 with Metro-X/XFree86 in RedHat 4.0

8. Drucker l?uft nicht

9. Which to use - Metro-X or XFree86

10. Metro to XFree86

11. AcceleratedX vs. Metro-X vs. XFree86

12. RedHat Metro-X vs. XFree86

13. XFree86 or Metro-X ?