who is to blame for MS monoploy

who is to blame for MS monoploy

Post by Paul Manusi » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:48:53



Yes Microsoft's business practises are questionable and the court has
found illegal in certain aspects. However I think the non-MS community
has to share some of the blame for allowing MS to dominate the OS world
on PCs.

The thing about Microsoft is that they see everyone as a potential
customer. Unix/Linux and other OS communities/companies have for too
many years been exclusive. Only marketing to potential consumers that
are "computer nerds".

There is nothing worse than an arrogant nerd ! Even within this news
group people are regularly abused if they show lack of knowledge of
computer jargon.

Most people see computers as a "tool" and not a "passion". Most people
don't care how TCP/IP works. They just want to recieve their email!.

You have to get of your high horse and start being inclusive so people
who are looking for alternatives feel welcome!

Paul M.

 
 
 

who is to blame for MS monoploy

Post by Grant Edwar » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 13:09:37



> The thing about Microsoft is that they see everyone as a potential
> customer. Unix/Linux and other OS communities/companies have for too
> many years been exclusive. Only marketing to potential consumers that
> are "computer nerds".

Nonsense.  Unix has (and will continue to be) a geek-based
market.  It's the nature of the beast, IMO.

There have been plenty of other non-geek systems. MacOS is a
brilliant example.  It has always been far better suited to the
non-geek than MS-Windows.  MS-Windows requires a lot more
geekish care and tinkering than MacOS did. Beos is pretty
non-geeky, as was GEM, Atari's OS, etc.

I think most people who don't want Unix would be far better off
with MacOS than with MS-Windows.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I like the way ONLY
                                  at               their mouths move... They
                               visi.com            look like DYING OYSTERS

 
 
 

who is to blame for MS monoploy

Post by Paul Manusi » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 14:38:05


Yeah right ! MacOS is only non-geekish becuase it comes with an OS specific
computer ( i.e. Apple Hardware). Steve Jobs refused to allow cloning of
hardware or open source code and the results was that Apple computers were
always more expensive than IBM clones. Eventually the board sacked him as CEO (
thought  got it back later). He use to say "Apple computers are a work of
art...". How more exclusive can you be?

Your statement that "Unix has ( and will continue to be) a geek-based market" is
the reason why Microsoft will always dominate!


> Nonsense.  Unix has (and will continue to be) a geek-based
> market.  It's the nature of the beast, IMO.

> There have been plenty of other non-geek systems. MacOS is a
> brilliant example.  It has always been far better suited to the
> non-geek than MS-Windows.  MS-Windows requires a lot more
> geekish care and tinkering than MacOS did. Beos is pretty
> non-geeky, as was GEM, Atari's OS, etc.

> I think most people who don't want Unix would be far better off
> with MacOS than with MS-Windows.

> --
> Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I like the way ONLY
>                                   at               their mouths move... They
>                                visi.com            look like DYING OYSTERS

 
 
 

who is to blame for MS monoploy

Post by Grant Edwar » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 00:20:18



> Yeah right ! MacOS is only non-geekish becuase it comes with an
> OS specific computer ( i.e. Apple Hardware).

I'm not sure why you claim that.

Quote:> Steve Jobs refused to allow cloning of hardware or open source
> code and the results was that Apple computers were always more
> expensive than IBM clones.

That's certainly true.  Apple's marketing and licensing
decisions haven't been optimal.

Quote:> Eventually the board sacked him as CEO ( thought got it back
> later). He use to say "Apple computers are a work of art...".
> How more exclusive can you be?
> Your statement that "Unix has ( and will continue to be) a
> geek-based market" is the reason why Microsoft will always
> dominate!

Always is a long time...

I have a feeling that Unix will still be around after Windows
is dead and gone.  MS will still be around, but who knows what
industry they'll be in.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Sometime in 1993
                                  at               NANCY SINATRA will lead a
                               visi.com            *LESS COUP on GUAM!!

 
 
 

who is to blame for MS monoploy

Post by Sundial Service » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 02:43:24


The computer industry naturally favors a monopoly because software
development is so goshed expensive.  But _exclusionary practices or
_predatory practices are harmful to the industry, and to the United
States' global competitiveness.  You don't have to kill your opponents
to win.

> Yes Microsoft's business practises are questionable and the court has
> found illegal in certain aspects. However I think the non-MS community
> has to share some of the blame for allowing MS to dominate the OS world
> on PCs.

 
 
 

who is to blame for MS monoploy

Post by Miguel A. Caler » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 21:39:28


I am using Linux because it is Open Source. This whole reason is enough to
abandon Microsoft in favour of Linux, and it provides me much more benefits
than disadvantages.
It is your decission if you use Linux or not, and only yours.
If you want to use Linux you have to waste either time or money to get it.
Do you think you dont have to do it with Windows? Well, maybe its not your
time nor your money, but sure its your friends time (XDD).
Nobody dies for you to use Linux, but everybody wants to be free for
choice. That is what Linux gives you.
If you want to pay M$ for Windows, "just do it".
If you dont feel like doing it, waste your time learning Linux, pay someone
to install and configure it for you or even ask for a friend.
Linux is not an enterprise, is a community. You can
pay for marketing (M$) without a good product, you can pay for packaging
and support (Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian) or you can download wether
distribution you want and install it.
Just one more thing, I am wondering that... you need a driver license to
drive a car, even when you could learn it by your family or friends; you
need a gun license (at least here in Europe) to hold one; you need to learn
some basic stuff even to ??manage a microwave!!; and you want say hi, send
an email to your computer and have it without any effort nor learning curve.
 
 
 

who is to blame for MS monoploy

Post by John Hasle » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 04:01:31


Quote:Sundial Services writes:
> The computer industry naturally favors a monopoly because software
> development is so goshed expensive.

The computer industry favors a monopoly because copyright law does (that is
its purpose).  And software development is cheap compared to other sorts of
engineering.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin
 
 
 

who is to blame for MS monoploy

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 05:58:05


Miguel - kudos to you for a well-written post about choices - many
people don't realize that if we use Linux, it's because we choose and
want to.  Often, we are criticized for our choice - but why?  Is it
because they (whoever they may be) feel guilty for just eating what was
dumped on their plate?

--


Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 1.00: (249 of 533)
-> The Internet is a great way to get on the net.
-> - Bob Dole