2.4 kernel messages

2.4 kernel messages

Post by Christopher C. Stum » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:30:11



Greetings,

I recently installed the 2.4 kernel on my Red Hat 6.2  machine.  The
kernel seems to boot fine, but there are a few bugs I need to work out.
Here is a sampling of error messages greped from /var/log/messages  that
occur during system boot up...these concern me.

The third line I find curious.  It is as if a map to the modules isn't
loaded...

Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Loaded 15012 symbols from
/boot/System.map-2.4.0.
Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.4.0.
Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: No module symbols loaded.

Obviously, the error lines are disturbing...

Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: error: 'net.ipv4.ip_always_defrag' is an
unknown key
Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: error: 'kernel.sysrq' is an unknown key

All of these lines concern me. What is nls and why is there no devpts?

Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module devpts
Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos mount: mount: fs type devpts not supported by
kernel
Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
nls_iso8859-1
Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
nls_iso8859-1

Hhhmmm...

Jan 13 18:49:45 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
char-major-14

I've recompiled the kernel, checking my configuration to see if there
are an crucial options I missed which may relate to any of these
errors.   But my configuration seems decent...

I've also tried to figure out how devpts relates to the 2.4 kernel, but
I had trouble finding documentation related to this issue.  What is
different in 2.4 with devpts? I had no problem with my previous
2.2.14-5.0 kernel...

For some reason, modprobe can't find necessary modules.  Is this related
to the  "No module symbols loaded." error in the first sample of
output?  My modules make & install seemed to go fine during the kernel
build.

Any insight into these errors would be helpful.  This is my first kernel
compilation, so please bear with me :)

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

 
 
 

2.4 kernel messages

Post by Paul Kimo » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:59:31



> Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Loaded 15012 symbols from
> /boot/System.map-2.4.0.
> Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.4.0.
> Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: No module symbols loaded.

                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is probably issued by klogd(8), and could mean just that no modules
are loaded.

Quote:> Jan 13 18:49:45 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> char-major-14

(That's for sound.)

Quote:> I've also tried to figure out how devpts relates to the 2.4 kernel, but
> I had trouble finding documentation related to this issue.  What is
> different in 2.4 with devpts?

(You have read Documentation/Configure.help, right?)

Quote:> For some reason, modprobe can't find necessary modules.  Is this related
> to the  "No module symbols loaded." error in the first sample of
> output?  My modules make & install seemed to go fine during the kernel
> build.

Do you have sufficiently new modutils installed?  See
Documentation/Changes.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
and may be a violation of international copyright law.

 
 
 

2.4 kernel messages

Post by Christopher C. Stum » Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:24:24


Thanks for the reply!

I solved the devpts problem.  In order to get devpts FS support I had to
compile the unix98 pty options into the kernel.  Previously, I saw that this
option related to devpts, but I didn't get the idea that it was specifically
necessary for devpts FS support .

Anyways, I still have quite a few of these same error messages.

According to your reply, can I safely ignore the following error messages:

Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: No module symbols loaded.

 Jan 13 18:49:45 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-14
-- I don't have sound drivers compiled into my kernel because I use
OSS drivers

FYI, I did read the Configure.help doc...and modutils, as well as all other
necessary system updates, were upgraded before compilation.

Thanks again for any replies!



> > Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Loaded 15012 symbols from
> > /boot/System.map-2.4.0.
> > Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.4.0.
> > Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: No module symbols loaded.
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> This is probably issued by klogd(8), and could mean just that no modules
> are loaded.

> > Jan 13 18:49:45 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> > char-major-14

> (That's for sound.)

> > I've also tried to figure out how devpts relates to the 2.4 kernel, but
> > I had trouble finding documentation related to this issue.  What is
> > different in 2.4 with devpts?

> (You have read Documentation/Configure.help, right?)

> > For some reason, modprobe can't find necessary modules.  Is this related
> > to the  "No module symbols loaded." error in the first sample of
> > output?  My modules make & install seemed to go fine during the kernel
> > build.

> Do you have sufficiently new modutils installed?  See
> Documentation/Changes.

> --
> Paul Kimoto
> This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
> hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
> and may be a violation of international copyright law.

--
Christopher C. Stump

Homepage: http://www.thestump.net
Registered with the Linux counter, ID#183377

"Computers are like air conditioners...Once you open
 Windows, they stop working correctly" -Unknown Linux User

 
 
 

1. 2.4 kernel messages

Greetings,

I recently installed the 2.4 kernel on my Red Hat 6.2  machine.  The
kernel seems to boot fine, but there are a few bugs I need to work out.
Here is a sampling of error messages greped from /var/log/messages  that

occur during system boot up...these concern me.

The third line I find curious.  It is as if a map to the modules isn't
loaded...

Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Loaded 15012 symbols from
/boot/System.map-2.4.0.
Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.4.0.
Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: No module symbols loaded.

Obviously, the error lines are disturbing...

Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: error: 'net.ipv4.ip_always_defrag' is an
unknown key
Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: error: 'kernel.sysrq' is an unknown key

All of these lines concern me. What is nls and why is there no devpts?

Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module devpts
Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos mount: mount: fs type devpts not supported by
kernel
Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
nls_iso8859-1
Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
nls_iso8859-1

Hhhmmm...

Jan 13 18:49:45 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
char-major-14

I've recompiled the kernel, checking my configuration to see if there
are an crucial options I missed which may relate to any of these
errors.   But my configuration seems decent...

I've also tried to figure out how devpts relates to the 2.4 kernel, but
I had trouble finding documentation related to this issue.  What is
different in 2.4 with devpts? I had no problem with my previous
2.2.14-5.0 kernel...

For some reason, modprobe can't find necessary modules.  Is this related

to the  "No module symbols loaded." error in the first sample of
output?  My modules make & install seemed to go fine during the kernel
build.

Any insight into these errors would be helpful.  This is my first kernel

compilation, so please bear with me :)

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

2. Virtual/Software UART

3. Using password protected pages with Apache?

4. Multicast Message under kernel 2.4

5. Problem with ncurses

6. Can't boot to Windows with Lilo

7. Why does the 2.4 kernel log messages out of order?

8. 2.4 kernel 2.4 ppp cannot connect

9. does 2.4 kernel need 2.4 initrd?

10. PROBLEM: my Aviator Webgear 2.4 doesn't work with kernel version 2.4.x

11. IPv6 module of Kernel 2.4.x & Kernel 2.6.x