Kernel won't uncompress (_not_ a newbie question)

Kernel won't uncompress (_not_ a newbie question)

Post by Chris Fische » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Carl,

Sounds like you are booting from a floppy. Chances are the floppy is showing
signs of wear. Try copying the kernel (from your Linux partition, not from
your floppy) onto a fresh floppy and it should work correctly.

Regards,

Chris Fischer
Protek Computer Solutions

Carl Wolfe wrote in article ...

Quote:>I've been running Linux on a 100MHz Pentium for the last 18 months, in
>particular using kernel 2.0.27 since January, and have had no trouble at
>all.  Now however, when I attempt to start it up I get no further than
>the

>Uncompressing Linux.....

1. newbie compiled kernel won't uncompress

When trying to load from diskette appears an error message:
Uncommpressing Linux

Invalid compression format
--System halted

The kernel source ( 1.1.59) in the latest Slackware distribution seemed to
compile fine.
In accordance with instructions in The Linix Bible:
        rdev zImage /dev/sda3
        cp zImage /dev/fd0  # to make a floppy
Kirill

2. printing *.1

3. Kernel won't uncompress

4. Help : mounting root filesys readonly at bootup

5. kernel won't uncompress when boot from CD

6. Will MS ever put together a real OS

7. 2.5.59 doesn't boot - hangs after 'Uncompressing the kernel'

8. linuxconf, lilo, profiles and laptops

9. x won't work (a newbie's question)

10. why a 'crc error' when uncompressing kernel?

11. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

12. Linux memory question (_not_ > 64M question)

13. Help linux kernal won't uncompress