firewall question

Post by webadmi » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I'm not sure if this is in the correct newsgroup, if not let me know
which one this message should be in.

Heres the problem...

I have a machine which anyone can access from the internet. It just
contains files which need to be ftped to the outside world (well a
couple of machines).

The thing is anyone else in the world could get access as long as they
have a username and password.

I want to restrict access to this machine.

Is it possible just to goto the local machine (machine A) and restrict
ftp to a couple of IP's only.

Or is it better to place a firewall between it and the world.

Iqbal

firewall question

Post by Jon Martin Solaa » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I have a machine which anyone can access from the internet. It just
> contains files which need to be ftped to the outside world (well a
> couple of machines).

> The thing is anyone else in the world could get access as long as they
> have a username and password.

> I want to restrict access to this machine.

Install tcp_wrappres if you haven't already and read manpages for
hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

And/or compile firewalling support into your kernel and find out
how to set up packet filtering rules for your Internet interface.
Firewall-HOWTO should be a nice starting-point, plus the manpages
for ipfwadm and there are also some examples in the IP-Masquerading
mini-HOWTO.

--
Jon Martin Solaas

firewall question

Post by Jim Brow » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> [snip]I want to restrict access to this machine.

> Is it possible just to goto the local machine (machine A) and restrict

> ftp to a couple of IP's only.

Use tcp wrappers. You may have it on your system already; try "man
tcpd". If not, you ca get it from
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/coast/coast.html#archive

- jim brown

1. FreeBSD firewall question + a really dumb question(yes I'm new to FreeBSD)

I need to get a firewall up in our office with no NAT.  I looked at a book
called FreeBSD Unleashed.  The book seemed to explain things pretty well.
Anyone else have an opinion on this book?

Okay, I tried version 4.3, but I could not add the iptables module.  Version
4.4 seems to use IPFW and the rules use a more english like syntax than
characters $.  Am I right so far??

A lot of the optins are turned on in files.  FIREWALL = yes in rc.conf.
Here is the dumb question:

In DOS i could use edit to edit a file, what do I use in FreeBSD??

Thanks

2. HELP: Hitachi CD-ROM driver, anyone?

3. Arno Firewall question: Internal PC's can't get to IP forwarded service/webserver

4. dip: SETD(N_SLIP): File table overflow

5. RPC over firewall questions

6. wm preferences?

7. some Linux/Firewall questions????

8. ESS chipset modem

9. Firewall question

10. Newbie firewall question

11. Gigabit redundant firewall questions (hardware and software)

12. Firewall Question

13. iptables/firewall question