X-windows out of memory

Post by Simon Le » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I can successfully run the X-windows (Slackware 3.0) but I wasn't able to
run any X-term (shells) or any other application, not even the x-clock.

Seems to be a 'out of memory' problem, since there was a similar error
message when I exit X-windows. Can anyone tell me how to solve this? I'm
running on a 486/DX66 with 8M ram.

Thanks.

Simon

X-windows out of memory

Post by Nir Soff » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: I can successfully run the X-windows (Slackware 3.0) but I wasn't able to
: run any X-term (shells) or any other application, not even the x-clock.

: Seems to be a 'out of memory' problem, since there was a similar error
: message when I exit X-windows. Can anyone tell me how to solve this? I'm
: running on a 486/DX66 with 8M ram.

Are you using a swap partition? What size is it?

: Thanks.

: Simon

Nir.

--

 http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~scorpios/
Justice, n.:

X-windows out of memory

Post by Marcus Tooz » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I can successfully run the X-windows (Slackware 3.0) but I wasn't able to
> run any X-term (shells) or any other application, not even the x-clock.

> Seems to be a 'out of memory' problem, since there was a similar error
> message when I exit X-windows. Can anyone tell me how to solve this? I'm
> running on a 486/DX66 with 8M ram.

> Thanks.

Well...adding memory is your best route.  For example, right now
I only have a couple of xterms and netscape open, and
I'm using 19Megs!! If you are going to be cheap...
just add a swap file (you can repartition if you like to add a
'real' swap partition). Make it pretty big...maybe 30M or
something...it will be very slow if it works...

Marcus

Quote:> SimonFor examo

X-windows out of memory

Post by Daniel Cha » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I know that the vfat driver has been under development for a while. My
question is whether or not it is safe to write files to my windows95
disk.  I am currently only using the driver to read the files off my
other partition.  Btw, I'm using Redhat 4.0 (kernel 2.0.18).  Any help
would be appreciated.

X-windows out of memory

Post by Evan Jeffr » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: I know that the vfat driver has been under development for a while. My
: question is whether or not it is safe to write files to my windows95
: disk.  I am currently only using the driver to read the files off my
: other partition.  Btw, I'm using Redhat 4.0 (kernel 2.0.18).  Any help
: would be appreciated.

It is safe enough for me.  Since vfat is the same as fat except for some
meaningless directory entries that store the extended filenames, if you
trust the linux fat driver, the worst that can happen is that you lose some
extended filenames.  In any case, I haven't had any problems with either,
and have no reason to doubt them.

Evan Jeffrey

X-windows out of memory

Post by Trond Eivind Glomsr » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

This has nothing to do in comp.os.linux.x, so I've set the followup
elsewhere.

[Daniel Chan]

|   I know that the vfat driver has been under development for a while. My
|   question is whether or not it is safe to write files to my windows95
|   disk.

I haven't had any problems with it since the very first kernel it was
included with (1.3.something (5x?)).

--
Trond Eivind Glomsr?d

**linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste**

Post by Daniel Kiraco » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: I know that the vfat driver has been under development for a while. My
: question is whether or not it is safe to write files to my windows95
: disk.  I am currently only using the driver to read the files off my
: other partition.  Btw, I'm using Redhat 4.0 (kernel 2.0.18).  Any help
: would be appreciated.

 IMHO, I would trust the Linux VFAT driver more than I would trust
the native Win95 driver...

--
/* Daniel */

WWW: http://www.infinet.com/~drk

"Fear is only afraid of the absence of itself."  - Mediocrotes

X-windows out of memory

Post by Henry H » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: >
: > I can successfully run the X-windows (Slackware 3.0) but I wasn't able to
: > run any X-term (shells) or any other application, not even the x-clock.
: >
: > Seems to be a 'out of memory' problem, since there was a similar error
: > message when I exit X-windows. Can anyone tell me how to solve this? I'm
: > running on a 486/DX66 with 8M ram.
: >
: > Thanks.

: Well...adding memory is your best route.  For example, right now
: I only have a couple of xterms and netscape open, and
: I'm using 19Megs!! If you are going to be cheap...
: just add a swap file (you can repartition if you like to add a
: 'real' swap partition). Make it pretty big...maybe 30M or
: something...it will be very slow if it works...

: Marcus

: > SimonFor examo

--
I use 32 MB mem plus 58 MB swap, try linux virtual mem, going cheap in linux
is OK, but not in windows.

X-windows out of memory

Post by rodsm.. » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I know that the vfat driver has been under development for a while. My
>question is whether or not it is safe to write files to my windows95
>disk.  I am currently only using the driver to read the files off my
>other partition.  Btw, I'm using Redhat 4.0 (kernel 2.0.18).  Any help
>would be appreciated.

FWIW, I've had no problems, though I seldom use Win95.  I only
post to mention that I've successfully restored Win95 setups
from tape backups made from Linux using tar (and using Linux
and tar to restore them).  A boot with the Win95 emergency
floppy and "SYS C:" and it was working fine, long filenames
and all.

| Rod Smith                                 Author of:               |

| http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~rodsmith   "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |

X-windows out of memory

Post by Andrew E. Miles » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: I know that the vfat driver has been under development for a while. My
: question is whether or not it is safe to write files to my windows95
: disk.  I am currently only using the driver to read the files off my
: other partition.  Btw, I'm using Redhat 4.0 (kernel 2.0.18).  Any help
: would be appreciated.

It is safe to use, except be warned that you can create file names
that Win95 cannot use...no damage done - just rename them in Linux.

--

Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
XFree86 Matrox Team http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

X-windows out of memory

Post by The IceMa » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> : I know that the vfat driver has been under development for a while. My
> : question is whether or not it is safe to write files to my windows95
> : disk.  I am currently only using the driver to read the files off my
> : other partition.  Btw, I'm using Redhat 4.0 (kernel 2.0.18).  Any help
> : would be appreciated.

>  IMHO, I would trust the Linux VFAT driver more than I would trust
> the native Win95 driver...

> --
> /* Daniel */

> WWW: http://www.infinet.com/~drk

> "Fear is only afraid of the absence of itself."  - Mediocrotes

I read and write files to my VFAT partition all the time.  No problems.

Bob

X-windows out of memory

Post by Chris H Lindl » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

:>
:>
:>I can successfully run the X-windows (Slackware 3.0) but I wasn't able to
:>run any X-term (shells) or any other application, not even the x-clock.
:>
:>Seems to be a 'out of memory' problem, since there was a similar error
:>message when I exit X-windows. Can anyone tell me how to solve this? I'm
:>running on a 486/DX66 with 8M ram.

Have you a swap file/partition?

If not, it's easy to add one (file!) Read the many FAQ's or mail me for an
easy shell script, that I use to make and use a 16mb extra swap file when
needed,

Cheers
Chris

Y Chris H. Lindley                                                       Y
Y Postal: Paseo Castellana 286, 5 G, Madrid 28046, Espaa                Y

Y Phone: +34 (1) 363 18 59                                               Y
Y Web Page; http://www.scotgate.demon.co.uk/welcome.htm (MolBiol)        Y

X-windows out of memory

Post by r.. » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I can successfully run the X-windows (Slackware 3.0) but I wasn't able to
>run any X-term (shells) or any other application, not even the x-clock.
>Seems to be a 'out of memory' problem, since there was a similar error
>message when I exit X-windows. Can anyone tell me how to solve this? I'm
>running on a 486/DX66 with 8M ram.
>Thanks.
>Simon

I can see only one solution;
X goes 'yummy yummy' about every new MB of memory you install...
I had similar problems, plus other problems too, like the speed in X.
I had to increase from 8MB to 40MB, and now it runs really smooth...

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. Programming with shared memory?

3. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

4. I need more memory?

5. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

6. NULL and memset

7. memory consumption and X-windows

8. FD. overflow: 1521

9. X-Windows is using too much memory