Use Multiple Device Drivers with loop devices?

Use Multiple Device Drivers with loop devices?

Post by Gu » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have a really insane idea, and I wann know if it'd be doable....
At school, we've just gotten about 22 gig worth of 1.2 disks (all are IPI-2
disks connected to sun 4/390s and 3/280s). We'd like to be able to mount it all
(or at least a portion thereof) and one huge disk. What I think may be doable
is:
1) on each disk, create one huge 1.2 gig file (a disk image)
2) mount each drive to a linux box w/ support for Multi-Device disks, and
      the loop device
3) using the loop support, mount the 1.2 gig files as disks, then MD them
      into one huge RAID0 drive
4) export that 1 huge drive to other machines, using the linux box as a
      NFS proxy

Does this sound do-able, or is the radiation of unshielded 19" monitors getting
to me?

--
Justin (Gus) Hurwitz

1. how to create/access multiple-partitions using loop device

Hi,

I want to create multiple partitions within a file, which
I am going use as a hdd image. I was able to create one
(primary) partition and access it through use of losetup(8),
mount(8) and parted(8). But I am unable to access OR mkfs
the second partition I created on the file.

Pl. let me know how do I access (mkfs/ [u]mount/ rd-wr) other
partitions on the file. The only option losetup(8) gives is
` -o <offset>` and there no minor numbers for partitions.
(MAJOR,MINOR for block device /dev/loop0 is 7,0...
/dev/loop1 is 7,1 ...and so on)

Offset calculation AFAIK is (bytes per sect * sects per cylinder),
but I don't know how to calculate for second primary part OR
logical extended parts...

thanks & regards,
-vvp

2. Win95<->Linux via null modem

3. ? How do I find what device driver a device is using?

4. qpopper / ftpusers issue / question

5. Device driver calling another device driver.

6. Netscape DNS woes

7. 2.4 loop device over block device broken

8. Dialing the Internet

9. Device driver question (generic device driver)

10. need device: devices.pci.b7100010:devices.pci.b7100092

11. character device, block device , raw device?

12. Mount compressed file as a loop device (mount -o loop.. )

13. using the loop device to mount encrypted filesystems