Need info on which PCI SCSI controller works with Linux

Need info on which PCI SCSI controller works with Linux

Post by Karl Hakimian - sta » Fri, 15 Jul 1994 12:10:52

After a not so fun try at getting a 1.7GIG IDE drive to work with my system, I
have decided to stick with what I know, SCSI. So what I now need to know is
which PCI controller to buy. I know that the Adaptec 2940 won't work. What
about the Buslogic bt946c? The NCR 53c810? Are either of them good
controllers?

Will I be able to boot off of a SCSI disk using either of them (or some other
controller if they are not compatible).

Any suggestions? Thanks for you time.
--

Karl Hakimian

1. PCI SCSI controller and Linux? Should it work?

There are drivers today in the kernel for the NCR 53c810 PCI SCSI boards.

There is also a BETA (or is it ALPHA) driver for the Adaptec 2940 PCI
SCSI boards. I've been using this driver for the last month or two and it
works perfectly without even a single glitch. Unfortunately, it is distributed
as a patch to the kernel and, on newer kernels (+.68), some hand fitting of
the patches is required. I have it running on the 1.1.85 kernel and it works
great.

The problem is that you _have_ to know what kind of SCSI board you have before
you can ask this type of question and expect to get a reasonable answer. Try
getting out the old screwdriver and pop the case on the machine.

Also, if you have the Adaptec, the BIOS POST routine for the board very clearly
identifies it as an Adaptec product when you power the system on.

--
Paul Bash

2. cdd question

3. NCR PCI 53c810 SCSI controller works in LInux ????

4. ASUS AGP V2740 and Xfree86

5. Is NCR PCI 53c810 SCSI Controller works in LINUX ?

6. Deleting lines

7. Is NCR PCI 53c810 SCSI controller works in linux ????

8. Stopping Services closing ports?

9. HP XU PCI Based AMD SCSI Controller - Work under Linux ?

10. PCI SCSI controller and Linux? Should it work?

11. How well does Qlogic PCI SCSI controller work with Linux?

12. 10/100BaseT PCI controller info needed

13. freebsd and the ncr53810 pci scsi controller... does it work???