Linux/Win95 problems?

Post by Gavin Bu » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I installed Linux on my dos 6.x win 3.1 system without a hitch...lilo was working and everything.  I put Win95 (not by choice) on, and reinstalled linux becuase of some minor goofups.  Now, I can't re-compile the kernal..when I do, I get a VFS: Can't mount root on #:#.  Lilo won't install correctly, even on a disk...all I get is "LI" and the computer freezes.  I try to compile kernal version 1.3.20 (I have 1.2.13), and all my computer displays upon booting is a bunch of numbers (memory address I think).  T

Linux/Win95 problems?

Post by John Presto » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I had no problems with my system...

All I did was the following:

1) I had linux already installed
2) I reformated my dos partition as a win95 partition (using
the win95 format command).
3) I installed Win95
4) Machine would only boot win95 so I booted off of my 911
linux disk and reinstalled lilo.

Everyting works fine.. Just compiled the 2.01 kernel the
other day...

--
                                                                          .
                   .         __     _____        ____
                   |         )(____/   /  +------|  |-+
+------|    |---|-+
                   |       >| Motorola |  |  Powered  |   |
Mobile Radios  |
        _________  |        /oo =-- OO +-+ oo ---- oo  +-+
oo ---------- oo +
       |         | |
 ___  _|____=____|_| ___  | John Preston

|   |/| <_______> |\|   | | Land Mobile Subscribers Group

|___|--\_________/--|___|

Linux/Win95 problems?

Post by William J. Chimi » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I had no problems with my system...

>All I did was the following:

>1) I had linux already installed
>2) I reformated my dos partition as a win95 partition (using
>the win95 format command).
>3) I installed Win95
>4) Machine would only boot win95 so I booted off of my 911
>linux disk and reinstalled lilo.

>Everyting works fine.. Just compiled the 2.01 kernel the
>other day...

Would loadlin in the autoexec.bat work as well?

Department of Radiology                    |  are made by just doing
Bowman Gray School of Medicine             |  nothing"
Medical Center Boulevard                   |

Linux/Win95 problems?

Post by Bj?rn Tore ?smu » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I installed Linux on my dos 6.x win 3.1 system without a hitch...lilo was working and everything.  I put Win95 (not by choice) on, and reinstalled linux becuase of some minor goofups.  Now, I can't re-compile the kernal..when I do, I get a VFS: Can't mount root on #:#.  Lilo won't install correctly, even on a disk...all I get is "LI" and the computer freezes.  I try to compile kernal version 1.3.20 (I have 1.2.13), and all my computer displays upon booting is a bunch of numbers (memory address I

I got the same rubbish, but in another way:
I was trying to boot Windows NT directly from LILO (without first

I guess your problem is that Win95 doesn't have a good entry in MBR.
I suggest you do the following:
Boot with a Windows95-disk and run FDISK /MBR.
Boot with a LILO-bootdisk and reinstall LILO.

--
Bj?rn Tore ?smul            \|/
Skansen Terasse 31         (o o)

Linux/Win95 problems?

Post by Chris Grav » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I installed Linux on a win95 machine and it all went with out a hitch.
But I didn't use Lilo or the MBR instead use loadlin by doing the
following:

first make win95 use a start-up menu:

copy msdos.sys to some file for safe keeping
attrib msdos.sys -s -h -r
edit msdos,sys
change bootgui=1 to bootgui=0
then save it
attrib msdos.sys +s +h +r

now edit config.sys and autoexec.bat to add a menu (same sort of thing
as Lilo)...

My config looks somthing like this:
        [MENU]
        menuitem=Win95, Windows 95
        menuitem=Dos, DOS
        menuitem=Linux, Linux
        me*fault=Linux, 5

        [Linux]

        [Win95]
        BUFFERS=23,0

        [Dos]
        DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

and autoexec.bat:

        goto %config%

        :Linux
        call c:\linux\loadlin\linux.bat (or where ever  loadlin is)
        goto end
        :end

        :Dos
        PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\ULTRASND;C:\DOS;c:\menu
        goto end

        :Win95

PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\ULTRASND;C:\DOS;c:\menu;c:\winsock
        win
        goto end

        :end
linux.bat is one line:
c:\linux\loadlin\loadlin  c:\vmlinuz  root=/dev/hdb1  ro
where c:\linux\loadlin\ is what ever dir you installed loadlin to...
vmlinux is just a copy or the image from your root linux partition and
root=/dev/hdb1 should be changed to your root linux partition.

Now you must install loadlin. Just follow all the directions that you
get with it and you should be able to install it with out any
problems.

Well that should take care of booting linux. (doing it this way also
means you can also jump to linux from Win95 just by running the
loadlin.exe without rebooting - just make sure you close all open
files and programs!)

- Chris Gravis

1. Linux - Win95 problem

     I am currently running Windows95 with FAT32 on my computer and just
recently bought and tried to install red hat linux 5.2.  I used FIPS to create
room on my hard drive for Linux.  The installation went fine and I used LILO to
choose between the OS's.  However, when I boot windows and then try to go into
Windows Explorer, Windows Explorer hangs.  Windows doesn't freeze, just Windows
Explorer.  I emailed red hat and they said that Windows is trying to read my
Linux partition but can't since it isn't a Windows partition and thats why
Windows Explorer just keeps running.  They also said that Windows shouldn't
even see the Linux partition and to see if there is something in the BIOS that
I could change to stop Windows from seeing the partition.  I looked in the BIOS
and in Windows to see if there was something I could change, but I couldn't
find anything.  Does anyone know how to stop Windows from trying to see my
Linux partition?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Internet Explorer 5 for Solaris

3. Linux + Win95 problem

4. Index of known issues/bugs?

5. samba: win95->linux works, linux->win95 doesnt

6. German-English on-line dictionary

7. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

8. accents problem

9. re-installing Win95 in Win95+linux system

10. can't see Win95 shares through Linux to Win95 network

11. Linux & Win95 = Frozen Win95

12. Caldera Linux: LILO win95 tag does not start win95

13. how to ppp(win95) - pppd(linux)+eth0 -- lan -- win95