Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...

Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...

Post by Robert Helle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
installed on my computer.  Since a full version of MS-Windows costs
$189, with the added cost of the modem upgrade of $60 == ~$250, this
makes about $250.  Which happens to be close to the cost of a *new*
modem...  I can either buy a copy of MS-Windows, install it on my 345meg
C: drive (presently containing MS-DOS 6.2 and is mostly full of old .tgz
files) or buy a new modem.  Yuck.

Does there exist a version of the upgrade program for Linux?  Does
anyone what the upgrade *actually* program does?  This is an
*external* RS232 serial modem.  What can a *MS-Windows* program do with
the serial port than Linux cannot?

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
> it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
> installed on my computer.  Since a full version of MS-Windows costs
> $189, with the added cost of the modem upgrade of $60 == ~$250, this
> makes about $250.  Which happens to be close to the cost of a *new*
> modem...  I can either buy a copy of MS-Windows, install it on my 345meg
> C: drive (presently containing MS-DOS 6.2 and is mostly full of old .tgz
> files) or buy a new modem.  Yuck.

> Does there exist a version of the upgrade program for Linux?  Does
> anyone what the upgrade *actually* program does?  This is an
> *external* RS232 serial modem.  What can a *MS-Windows* program do with
> the serial port than Linux cannot?

Nothing, if you knew what to do.

Why not just prevail upon someone you know who DOES run
windows to do the flash for you?  Once it's done, it's done,
and you can put the modem right back where it and you will
be most happy..

--

Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com/Linux

Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...

Post by E J » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Why don't you and your modem go to a friend's place with Windows?  Download the
flash upgrade and download it to your modem.
Another option is to try to use dosemu or wine (DOS emulator or the windows
emulator) on your linux box to run the flash upgrade
download to your modem.

  In a message on Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:07:20 -0700, wrote :

EJ> Why don't you and your modem go to a friend's place with Windows?  Download the
EJ> flash upgrade and download it to your modem.
EJ> Another option is to try to use dosemu or wine (DOS emulator or the windows
EJ> emulator) on your linux box to run the flash upgrade
EJ> download to your modem.

Most of my friends also run (only) Linux...  Or else I am not sure how to
'install' my modem and then deinstall it and reinstall the original
modem -- *I* know almost NOTHING about windows and most of the friends I
have who have MS-Windows know even less...

I don't have either dosemu or wine installed.  I am not sure I want to
install either.

Post by Robert Jone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
> it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
> installed on my computer.  Since a full version of MS-Windows costs
> $189, with the added cost of the modem upgrade of $60 == ~$250, this
> makes about $250.  Which happens to be close to the cost of a *new*
> modem...  I can either buy a copy of MS-Windows, install it on my 345meg
> C: drive (presently containing MS-DOS 6.2 and is mostly full of old .tgz
> files) or buy a new modem.  Yuck.

> Does there exist a version of the upgrade program for Linux?  Does
> anyone what the upgrade *actually* program does?  This is an
> *external* RS232 serial modem.  What can a *MS-Windows* program do with
> the serial port than Linux cannot?

Have you checked the comp.dcom.modem archives on dejanews yet?  Modem
upgrades was a hot topic there during the holy wars over "56K" protocols.
You might find some clues there. In fact, you *might* even find the name of
a knowledgeable poster there that you recognize from the Linux groups.

Another thought:  I run an ancient v.everything that I bought second-hand,
already flashed to v.90.  I know for a fact that the person I bought it
from flashed it himself and at the time I got the modem he was running DOS
6.22/Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on his machines. That fact, alone, should
discourage you from being in a great big hurry to donate to Bill's
retirement fund.

Cheers

Post by Bob Marti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
> it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
> installed on my computer.  Since a full version of MS-Windows costs
> $189, with the added cost of the modem upgrade of $60 == ~$250, this
> makes about $250.  Which happens to be close to the cost of a *new*
> modem...  I can either buy a copy of MS-Windows, install it on my 345meg
> C: drive (presently containing MS-DOS 6.2 and is mostly full of old .tgz
> files) or buy a new modem.  Yuck.

> Does there exist a version of the upgrade program for Linux?  Does
> anyone what the upgrade *actually* program does?  This is an
> *external* RS232 serial modem.  What can a *MS-Windows* program do with
> the serial port than Linux cannot?

Does the flash program really require windoze ? I've never seen a flash
that worked unless booted from a plain DOS boot floppy.
--

Bob Martin

  In a message on Sun, 20 Aug 2000 17:13:07 -0500, wrote :

BM> > I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
BM> > it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
BM> > installed on my computer.  Since a full version of MS-Windows costs
BM> > $189, with the added cost of the modem upgrade of $60 == ~$250, this
BM> > makes about $250.  Which happens to be close to the cost of a *new*
BM> > modem...  I can either buy a copy of MS-Windows, install it on my 345meg
BM> > C: drive (presently containing MS-DOS 6.2 and is mostly full of old .tgz
BM> > files) or buy a new modem.  Yuck.
BM> >
BM> > Does there exist a version of the upgrade program for Linux?  Does
BM> > anyone what the upgrade *actually* program does?  This is an
BM> > *external* RS232 serial modem.  What can a *MS-Windows* program do with
BM> > the serial port than Linux cannot?
BM> >
BM> >
BM>
BM> Does the flash program really require windoze ? I've never seen a flash
BM> that worked unless booted from a plain DOS boot floppy.

It is not the flash program that needs windblows. The US Robotics
modems can be flashed with any program that speaks XModem (and that
includes minicom).  I have in fact already flashed the modem with the
latest firmware (using minicom under Linux).  I did a 'strings' on the
'.XMD' file (what you xmodem download to the modem) and it appears to
have strings relating to 56K and V.90 and X2 (I found things like
connect strings for BPS rates > 33.6K and with V90 in them).  The
problem is that this code needs to be 'enabled' with some sort of
'key'.  To get the key you need to download a program named 'setup.exe'
is a basic windblows self-installer.  This installer installs some
windblows program that somehow takes one's credit card and docks $60
off and somehow installs a V.90 enabler key.  I'm *guessing* that the
windblows program fires up IE or something to some
https://<mumble>.3com.com/ URL and then sends some *undocumented* AT
command at the modem, once the Credit Card transaction has completed.
Or maybe it uses the modem to dial some 1-800 number and then enables
remote modem configuration or something...  Whatever is happening, 3Com
is not saying, except that you need to enable the V90 functionality
with either a Mac or a wintel box.  I have even have this really dumb
statement from a 3Com tech:

"Until recently, the modems were not specifically designed for Linux,
although many of our modems are able to be installed on it.  The Modem
Upgrade Wizard was only designed for a Macintosh or Windows Operating
System."

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...

Post by Richard Stein » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
>it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
>installed on my computer.

USR (before purchased by 3Com) used to provide a DOS upgrade method as
well as the Windows one.  I've upgraded my Courier V.E many times using
their DOS software.

You also used to be able to upgrade using ANY communications program
(regardless of platform) that could do an Xmodem upload.

Is this no longer the case?

--

      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
       + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)

  In a message on Mon, 21 Aug 2000 02:27:36 -0500, wrote :

RS> spake unto us, saying:
RS>
RS> >I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
RS> >it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
RS> >installed on my computer.
RS>
RS> USR (before purchased by 3Com) used to provide a DOS upgrade method as
RS> well as the Windows one.  I've upgraded my Courier V.E many times using
RS> their DOS software.
RS>
RS> You also used to be able to upgrade using ANY communications program
RS> (regardless of platform) that could do an Xmodem upload.
RS>
RS> Is this no longer the case?

No, you can still upgrade the firmware with xmodem.  The catch is that
although the firmware updates include the X2/V.90 code, this code is
'disabled' somehow.  The enabler magic is embedded in some MS-Windows
(or MacOS) program (unexplained by 3Com).

RS> --

RS>       OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
RS>        + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
RS>            BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...

Post by Richard Stein » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>No, you can still upgrade the firmware with xmodem.  The catch is that
>although the firmware updates include the X2/V.90 code, this code is
>'disabled' somehow.  The enabler magic is embedded in some MS-Windows
>(or MacOS) program (unexplained by 3Com).

Ah...  I'd forgotten about that.

When USR first released their X2 firmware, they required that people
call a long-distance BBS in order to activate the patch.  The userid
and password you entered to get into the BBS was given to each user
via e-mail.

That activation method was platform-independent.

Sounds like they've become a bit more Windows-centric.  A shame.  :-(

Perhaps they could be asked to bring back that method?

--

      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
       + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
                 100,000 *, and YOU were the quickest?