S.u.S.E. yast starts up during boot

Post by Hung Nguye » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi all, I've posted a previous one but somehow it didn't show up in this
newsgroup. So here it goes again. My problem is that I installed
S.u.S.E. apparently without any problems. However, each time I boot up,
a message appears saying that the installation hasn't finished yet, then
yast starts up, looks in the CDROM drive for the installation disk, but
it doesn't install anything. Then it prompts for me to enter OK. Only
that can I login.

Thanks for your help

Post by Dana J. Laud » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all, I've posted a previous one but somehow it didn't show up in this
> newsgroup. So here it goes again. My problem is that I installed
> S.u.S.E. apparently without any problems. However, each time I boot up,
> a message appears saying that the installation hasn't finished yet, then
> yast starts up, looks in the CDROM drive for the installation disk, but
> it doesn't install anything. Then it prompts for me to enter OK. Only
> that can I login.

> Thanks for your help

YaST will install only the packages on CD 1.  When the system reboots
(after Lilo
is installed) it will then prompt you for CD 2, etc.  Page 18 of the manual
covers
this one.

Dana

Post by Thomas Homme » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all, I've posted a previous one but somehow it didn't show up in this
> newsgroup. So here it goes again. My problem is that I installed
> S.u.S.E. apparently without any problems. However, each time I boot up,
> a message appears saying that the installation hasn't finished yet, then
> yast starts up, looks in the CDROM drive for the installation disk, but
> it doesn't install anything. Then it prompts for me to enter OK. Only
> that can I login.

> Thanks for your help

Hi Hung

Linux is running several scripts in the background after the first
installation. If you turn off your computer before these scripts have
finished, YasT will restart them the next time and try to complete his
work. If you take a look on console 9 [Alt-F9], you can see, if the
scripts have finished. There must be a message like "Have a lot of fun!
Your S.u.S.E Team"
The whole thing may take a while, but after this, YasT should no more
start automatically.

Have fun with Linux

Post by friedhelm.mehner » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: Hi all, I've posted a previous one but somehow it didn't show up in this
: newsgroup. So here it goes again. My problem is that I installed
: S.u.S.E. apparently without any problems. However, each time I boot up,
: a message appears saying that the installation hasn't finished yet, then
: yast starts up, looks in the CDROM drive for the installation disk, but
: it doesn't install anything. Then it prompts for me to enter OK. Only
: that can I login.

This happens, if for some rason the install has left some temporary files
behind.

Did you perhaps "ctrl C" outof the install and start over?

The only advise I can give you, is to delete everything and start over.
There might be other, better ways to fix it, but I don't know of any.
Perhaps deleting everything in /tmp and /var/lock might help?
You might also try to email their support. They are usualy very quick
with responses and very helpful too.

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

S.u.S.E. yast starts up during boot

Post by John Forko » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: >
[...]

What Thomas says is _exactly_ what I experienced, too.  The first few
times I rebooted, it kept restarting yast to complete the installation.
I was rebooting frequently to set up and test networking files, etc.
When I finally let the machine run awhile, the scripts completed,
and mailed a message to root about that.  By the way, run top when
you boot, and you should see processes running that were started by
the install script.

S.u.S.E. yast starts up during boot

Post by Hung Nguye » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Thanks all again, the quoted messages below solved my problem.
Hung Nguyen

>: Hi Hung
>: Linux is running several scripts in the background after the first
>: installation. If you turn off your computer before these scripts have
>: finished, YasT will restart them the next time and try to complete his
>: work. If you take a look on console 9 [Alt-F9], you can see, if the
>: scripts have finished. There must be a message like "Have a lot of fun!
>: Your S.u.S.E Team"
>: The whole thing may take a while, but after this, YasT should no more
>: start automatically.
>: Have fun with Linux

>What Thomas says is _exactly_ what I experienced, too.  The first few
>times I rebooted, it kept restarting yast to complete the installation.
>I was rebooting frequently to set up and test networking files, etc.
>When I finally let the machine run awhile, the scripts completed,
>and mailed a message to root about that.  By the way, run top when
>you boot, and you should see processes running that were started by
>the install script.

1. S.U.S.E. yast starts up on boot

Hello all,

My SuSE 5.1 installation went fine apparently without any problems.
However, each time I login, it says something needs to be set up, then
yast starts up, searches my CDROM drive for SuSE disk, then it prompts
for OK without setting up anything. I can only login after that.

Can anybody helps me. Thanks.

Hung Nguyen

2. APM & kernel 2.2.x, RedHat: a fix, but lots of questions.

3. suse 6.3, yast 2 installtion, any way to do yast 1?

4. IPChains Firewall, IIS Web Server

5. SuSE 5.2 YaST always starts?

6. HOW use X server of Suse for diamond GL 1000 pro

7. S.u.S.E. 5.3 /YaST installation error . Help!

8. Ne2000 clone

9. YAST-Backup without YAST-Menue HOW???

10. YaST : Failure to restart during install ( insmod ) (kernel problem?)

11. SuSE 6.3 stalls during boot, screen blinks?