Is there a Kanji/Japanese ver of LINUX?

Post by Pete » Tue, 23 Aug 1994 07:41:00

Does LINUX support double byte character sets, specifically
Japanese?

If so, could someone point me in the direction of some
info on this?

Thanks,
- Peter.

Post by S. L » Tue, 23 Aug 1994 08:52:17

>Does LINUX support double byte character sets, specifically
>Japanese?

What specifically are you looking for?

Try ftp.cdrom.com:pub/linux/je

Witty .sig under construction.

1. URGENT HELP: Japanese user wants mail and staroffice in Japanese(Kanji)

A Japanese customer needs to open Office (Word) documents and exchange
email in Japanese characters (I understand it is Kanji).

I noticed that RH 7.2 comes with several packages related to Japanese
support but I don't know where/how to start.

RH72 would be installed in English [to make my tech-support life
easier :-) ], and then the user would read/send email in Japanese or
use Staroffice to read Word docs in Kanji characters.

I need help about where to start; basic and detailed info will be
appreciated, since I'm not familiar with the issues involved.

Redhat linux will be highly preferred since it standardized in this
environment. If there is a good solution with another linux distro,
please send info too.

Replies can be posted to the newsgroups directly or sent to my email
address.

Thanks.

2. running PPP on an iMac DV / Linux PPC

3. Japanese Kanji

4. I need to setup a system that can only access 1 URL

5. Japanese ftp sites (was Re: Japanese editor for LinuX)

6. Ramidsk Image

7. I am a very confused Japanese Girl - help.

8. Compiling the Kernel

9. What ver am I using exactly?

10. Sunlink DNI (ver 7.0 to ver 8.0)

11. Need Help X.25 Ver 1.1 for AIX Ver 3

12. cpio not compatable between ver 3.2.4 to ver 5

13. Difference between ide ver.6.31 and ide ver. 7.00beta4