Crashed SCSI disk! Help me!

Post by Michael Yua » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,

Please help me! I have a RedHat 5.1 box with a Seagate 2GB scsi disk.
Yesterday, the hard disk crashed while I was using it! It gave me several
error messages and aborted everything and I could not boot again ... To
make things worse, I did not keep my rescue disk!

Since there are important data on the disk, I definately do not want to
reformat the whole hard drive! Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I
can reinstall the OS without destroying the exsisting data but I have no
experience with that. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I have three partitions on that drive (all Linux) and most of the data are
on the second and third partitions. Is there any way to fix the bad
sectors on the drive without formatting it?

Thanks

Michael

Crashed SCSI disk! Help me!

Post by Daniel Cav » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Michael

What I would suggest that you do, is get a cheap/spare/ide disk, install as
/dev/hda1 and just install a base linux distribution with a kernel that has
support for your scsi card. boot from this disk using the lilo boot disk (from
when you installed redhat)

lilo: mount root=/dev/hda1

When you have logged in as root create a directory called /scsiroot/
mount your scsi root partition on it, and mount in turn each partition within
/scsiroot/usr, /scsiroot/var, etc... whatever.

That'll give you an indication as to whats okay. and whats not.. When you find
the bad partition (ie, you'll get lots of error messages about not being able
to mount the partition) use fsck on the partition (unmounted) That should fix
it..

then  create yourself a rescue disk.. ;)

Dan

Quote:> Please help me! I have a RedHat 5.1 box with a Seagate 2GB scsi disk.
> Yesterday, the hard disk crashed while I was using it! It gave me several
> error messages and aborted everything and I could not boot again ... To
> make things worse, I did not keep my rescue disk!

> Since there are important data on the disk, I definately do not want to
> reformat the whole hard drive! Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I
> can reinstall the OS without destroying the exsisting data but I have no
> experience with that. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

> I have three partitions on that drive (all Linux) and most of the data are
> on the second and third partitions. Is there any way to fix the bad
> sectors on the drive without formatting it?

> Thanks

> Michael

1. SCSI Errors; crashed disk Help!!!

I need to get into a crashed SCSI drive.  I need to know if this disk is now
a door stop.
Linux reports the following on bootup:

Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi 0, channel 0, 1d6, lun0
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector = 512 bytes, sectors = 4226725 [2063MB] [2.1GB]
sda: scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id6, lun 0, CDB: read (6) 00 00 00 02
00
Current error sd08: 00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates unrecovered read errror
scsi disk I/O error: dev 08: 00, sector 0, absolute sector 0
  unable to read partition table.

I'd really like to get some information out of one of the partitions on this
drive.  Is there any way to get this drive up to the point where I can at
least mount one partition on another system?  I also can't seem to get into
fdisk with this drive to even delete the partition table and start over.  Is
it completley dead?

Thanks.

2. New compressing shar program

3. Crashed? SCSI Disk Need HELP!

4. Question regarding the "SORT" command

5. Adaptec 1542b scsi controller plus bernoulli disk causes crashes

6. $$$MAKE MONEY FAST$$$$

7. System is crashing if I am using more then one disk on scsi controler :(

8. the number or values in an array

9. scsi disks keep crashing

10. Linux crashes with 2 SCSI disks

11. Redhat 71 + 3Ware 6800 + raid 5 + IBM disks + disk crash

12. Disk Suite, Veritas Volume Manager, and a crashed boot disk

13. System disk crash - how to recover other disk's files?