SNA/Bisync RJE for Linux?

Post by Paul Parris » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hello all,
  Does anyone know if there are any communications apps which support these IBM protocols?
We are trying to connect a Linux system to an existing environment where these are used for
batch data transfer.  Any ideas?  Many thanks in advance!

Paul

SNA/Bisync RJE for Linux?

Post by Gerald Hanus » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Hello all,
:   Does anyone know if there are any communications apps which support these IBM protocols?
: We are trying to connect a Linux system to an existing environment where these are used for
: batch data transfer.  Any ideas?  Many thanks in advance!

RJE over bsc/sdlc wires is currently not supportet.
BUT: there is a NJE emulator available, which communicates with the IBM Host
using VMNET and TCP/IP. On a VM System you need TCP/IP and VMNET, on an
MVS System, TCP/IP and a freely available package named NJEIP.

The NJE on linux requires the funetnje package, available on ftp.funet.fi
in /pub/unix/networking/bitnet directory.

: Paul

                                Tel.: ++43-732-2468-554
                                Fax.: ++43-732-2468-688
Johannes Kepler University      Computing Centre - Networking Staff

SNA/Bisync RJE for Linux?

Post by Matti Aarn » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

At first I didn't reply on this, because FUNETNJE didn't fit
the bill (SNA network, or BSC cable), but as Gerald mentioned it, ...

>: Hello all,
>:   Does anyone know if there are any communications apps which support
>: these IBM protocols?  We are trying to connect a Linux system to an
>: existing environment where these are used for batch data transfer.
>: Any ideas?  Many thanks in advance!
> RJE over bsc/sdlc wires is currently not supportet.

    At the moment with FUNETNJE neither BISYNC, nor SDLC(SNA) are supported,
    however that does not preclude them to be added.  (We just didn't have
    the need for them, when I and Gerald worked on it..)

    In case a need for BISYNC is arisen, and sufficient motivation appears
    (a paying customer, for example :) ), such capability is possible to add.

    As to SNA...  don't hold your breath, perhaps there are sufficient
    public documents, but I much rather would not touch on it.

Quote:> BUT: there is a NJE emulator available, which communicates with the IBM Host
>      using VMNET and TCP/IP. On a VM System you need TCP/IP and VMNET, on an
>      MVS System, TCP/IP and a freely available package named NJEIP.

    This requires that your host speaks TCP/IP, which in itself might not be
    an option -- I hear that for the IBM mainframe, the TCP/IP costs a lot...
    (and also that it runs either VM/SP or MVS.. AS/400 would not do.)