Dual Redhat/Win2k, using LILO, how to delete Win2k?

Dual Redhat/Win2k, using LILO, how to delete Win2k?

Post by BB » Sat, 10 May 2003 01:03:59

I have a dual booting Redhat/Windows 2000 system. I am ready to ditch Win2k.

How do I do it?

My guess,

1) Make a linux boot disk just in case.
2) Remove Win2k from LILO (how?)
3) Use fdisk to delete the win2k partition
4) Use mkfs to build a new ext2 file system (how?)
5) Mount it in /etc/fstab

Is this correct?

Post by John » Sat, 10 May 2003 02:54:15

> I have a dual booting Redhat/Windows 2000 system. I am ready to ditch Win2k.

> How do I do it?

> My guess,

> 1) Make a linux boot disk just in case.
> 2) Remove Win2k from LILO (how?)
> 3) Use fdisk to delete the win2k partition
> 4) Use mkfs to build a new ext2 file system (how?)
> 5) Mount it in /etc/fstab

> Is this correct?

Correct.

(2) As root. Edit '/etc/lilo.conf'. Remove the win2k entry (probably
DOS). Make sure the default boot points to Linux.
Run 'lilo -v'

(4) 'man mk2fs'. Read these man pages. Its pretty simple.
I would recommend EXT3. Make sure you have EXT3 in your kernel.
'mke2fs -t ext3 -j /dev/<partition>'

Read the Filesystems HOWTO. Find it on tldp.org

--

John
----------------------------

Post by Joe » Sat, 10 May 2003 03:59:02

>> I have a dual booting Redhat/Windows 2000 system. I am ready to ditch Win2k.
>>  How do I do it?
>>  My guess,
>>  1) Make a linux boot disk just in case.
>> 2) Remove Win2k from LILO (how?)
>> 3) Use fdisk to delete the win2k partition
>> 4) Use mkfs to build a new ext2 file system (how?)
>> 5) Mount it in /etc/fstab
>>  Is this correct?

>Correct.

>(2) As root. Edit '/etc/lilo.conf'. Remove the win2k entry (probably
>DOS). Make sure the default boot points to Linux.
>Run 'lilo -v'

>(4) 'man mk2fs'. Read these man pages. Its pretty simple.
>I would recommend EXT3. Make sure you have EXT3 in your kernel.
>'mke2fs -t ext3 -j /dev/<partition>'

3) If you actually delete the partition you then need to create a new
one in the same place, also using fdisk. Or keep the partition, and use
fdisk to change the partition type from Win2K (FAT32 or NTFS/HPFS) to
Linux.
--
Joe

Post by Timothy Murph » Sat, 10 May 2003 07:20:00

> I have a dual booting Redhat/Windows 2000 system. I am ready to ditch
> Win2k.
> 1) Make a linux boot disk just in case.
> 2) Remove Win2k from LILO (how?)
> 3) Use fdisk to delete the win2k partition
> 4) Use mkfs to build a new ext2 file system (how?)
> 5) Mount it in /etc/fstab

Seems OK to me.

My only contribution is to suggest you should keep a Windows partition
unless you are short of space.
There are several occasions when Windows is necessary,
eg configuring PCI cards or upgrading the firmware in PCMCIA cards
(or on the motherboard).

You can be a Linux believer without being a fanatic ...

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-86-233 6090

1. Win2k and RedHat 7.2 on different hard-drive dual-boot with LILO??

Hi, I am trying to install Win2000 and RedHat Linux 7.2 on two different
hard drives so in the future when I don't want one of them I can just simply
format one hard drive. Both of my hard drives are IDE. At first I installed
Win2000 on Primary master(hda), then I install Linux on hdb. I choose to
install LILO on MBR and default boot is hdb(linux). But after install Linux,
I reboot the computer, only Win2000 come up, LILO didn't even show up. I am
wondering if LILO was installed to the MBR of hdb instead of hda. How can I
fix that so I can use LILO to dual-boot both operating system? Or if I need
to reinstall, what settings do I need to change to make it right? If LILO
couldn't pull a job like this, then which boot-manager can? BootMagic??

Thanx...

2. Supported CDROM drives

3. dual boot Linux / Win2k using Lilo

4. LILO: booting DOS from /dev/hdb -- SOLVED!

5. Win2K NTFS + Linux dual boot: LILO where?

6. Auto Startup

7. Sony Z600TEK, Win2K, LILO, the MBR and dual booting in RH7.2

8. "PROCESSOR" Magazine ** THE REAL INFO ** FINALLY **

9. Lilo Dual Boot with Win2K

10. Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [1/1]

11. How to setup dual boot for Win2k and Redhat 6.x?

12. Dual Boot: WIN2K & Caldera eDESK2.4 or Redhat 6.2 Problem...

13. RedHat + Win2k(NTFS) dual-boot??