Linux startup logo??

Post by Aras » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi'

Is there any way to get Linux show at bootup picture (a la Win95 :) insted of the
system boot upp message ( ya' know, Now booting kernel and so on...)??

Arash
__________________
 AOL?? No tanx!!!

Linux startup logo??

Post by Shawn D. McPe » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:
: Is there any way to get Linux show at bootup picture (a la Win95 :) insted of the
: system boot upp message ( ya' know, Now booting kernel and so on...)??

No.

Linux startup logo??

Post by D. Richard Hi » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>:
>: Is there any way to get Linux show at bootup picture (a la Win95 :) insted of the
>: system boot upp message ( ya' know, Now booting kernel and so on...)??

>No.

Now now, let's not jump to a hasty conclusion.  I'm sure XDM can be
configured to show a big picture on the screen when it comes up.  I
don't really know how to do it myself, but I'm sure that somebody
on the net has either already done it, or can figure out how.

For example, I have my XDM set to change the background color of the
screen as it comes up.  In the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0, I call
"xsetroot" to do this.  Surely a different command can be substituted
here to get XDM to display a pixmap.  Right?

Any ideas?

Linux startup logo??

Post by The Ancient Marin » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: >:
: >: Is there any way to get Linux show at bootup picture (a la Win95 :) insted of the
: >: system boot upp message ( ya' know, Now booting kernel and so on...)??
: >
: >No.

: Now now, let's not jump to a hasty conclusion.  I'm sure XDM can be
: configured to show a big picture on the screen when it comes up.  I
: don't really know how to do it myself, but I'm sure that somebody
: on the net has either already done it, or can figure out how.

: For example, I have my XDM set to change the background color of the
: screen as it comes up.  In the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0, I call
: "xsetroot" to do this.  Surely a different command can be substituted
: here to get XDM to display a pixmap.  Right?

: Any ideas?

Sure.  I can think of a few things.  You have the source code, so you
can do what you want.  Now, I have had xdm display things on startup,
including an xlock animation in the background (just for kicks ;) But
I expect that you want the picture to come up as soon as possible.
Now, as soon as you have mounted the root fs, you can use one of the
SVGAlib Jpeg programs to show the picture, but I don't know what will
happen to the rest of the messages, and it also assumes that the
program and the picture are on the root filesystem (easy).  Perhaps
you will have to kill the seejpeg process after a while so that users
can log on, or make something in the picture say "Press ^C to log on"
;).  If you want even more, you can certainly go ahead and link the
kernel with svgalib (hard) and hardcode a picture into it so that you
can see the picture as soon as the kernel begins to boot!

------  Ben Pearre  ---  Princeton University Computer Science  ------
                     http://www.princeton.edu/~bwpearre

Linux startup logo??

Post by Shawn D. McPe » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: >:
: >: Is there any way to get Linux show at bootup picture (a la Win95 :) insted of the
: >: system boot upp message ( ya' know, Now booting kernel and so on...)??
: >
: >No.
:
: Now now, let's not jump to a hasty conclusion.  I'm sure XDM can be
: configured to show a big picture on the screen when it comes up.  I

I guess I got confused when he was talking about "bootup" and "system boot
up messages".  I had thought he meant when the machine is booting up and
not when you run an application.

Linux startup logo??

Post by Robert Mark Wau » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Uhm, I think you are all missing a crucial point.  The reason for _not_
showing a bootup image like other lame OS's is so that if something
bombs you can figure out where it died at during bootup.  If you have
a cute little image up there and all your kernel messages go by behind
the scenes and it dies in the middle... you won't know where to start
to solve the problem.  Linux isn't _supposed_ to be cute.
If you want cute, get a macintosh.

>>:
>>: Is there any way to get Linux show at bootup picture (a la Win95 :) insted of the
>>: system boot upp message ( ya' know, Now booting kernel and so on...)??

>>No.

  ^^^ Good attitude, well phrased.

 oink.

Linux startup logo??

Post by Leslie Cart » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Waugh) writes:
> Uhm, I think you are all missing a crucial point.  The reason for _not_
> showing a bootup image like other lame OS's is so that if something
> bombs you can figure out where it died at during bootup.  If you have
> a cute little image up there and all your kernel messages go by behind
> the scenes and it dies in the middle... you won't know where to start
> to solve the problem.  Linux isn't _supposed_ to be cute.
> If you want cute, get a macintosh.

        But isn't one of the main thing that is stopping Linux from reaching the masses
( , and hence stopping potentially big developments) the fact that Linux appears
so user unfriendly.  Why not implement a pretty front page screen , and if you
want the text blurb , so be it at the press of a button!

        Linux , in my opinion will live or die on it self marketing skills.  It's
proved itself as an operating system , but it needs to be more appealing to the
masses , with things like pretty front page pics , and auto configuring setups ,
etc.  I know this at the minute isn't exactly a small thing , but maybe someone
should work on it?

        Les

Linux startup logo??

Post by Nick McKinne » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>         Linux , in my opinion will live or die on it self marketing skills.  It's
> proved itself as an operating system , but it needs to be more appealing to the
> masses , with things like pretty front page pics , and auto configuring setups ,
> etc.  I know this at the minute isn't exactly a small thing , but maybe someone
> should work on it?

UNIX isn't a user friendly system.  it wasn't designed to be.  how often do you boot a linux
box anyway?  it's supposed to be able to be started once and run for an extended period of
time before being rebooted.

if you want a "pretty" 32-bit OS that is still powerful, run Windows NT.  Linux is never going
to win the attention of the masses because most of them can't use UNIX anyway, and the ones
that do don't care if their UNIX machine looks pretty, because it's going to be kept in the
geek room along with all the other big computers anyway.

Linux startup logo??

Post by Gary Fost » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:: Waugh) writes:

[...]

This is all assuming, of course, that we WANT linux to reach the masses,
right?  Well, if linux reaching the masses means that I have to sacrifice a
real operating system to satisfy someone's arbitrary definition of CUTENESS,
I'll by God stop using it and switch to some other UNIX.  I don't WANT linux
to be like other OS's, and I by God don't WANT every lamer in the world
wiping Win95 and putting Linux on because then they'll have to dumb the
system down so joe toasterhead who barely knows how to boot his system can
operate it.

Linux, as a viable operating system, needs good apps like the rest of the
UNIX platforms have out there.  And ya know something??? Those other
"mainstream" UNIX systems aren't CUTE either.  They're functional, solid,
dependable, and built for people who know what in the hell they want and
take no crap.  Linux fits ALL those criteria, and judging from the
widespread support I saw at UNIForum from a wide cross section of the
vendors there, Linux is breaking into the "mainstream UNIX" niche as well.
We DO NOT have to sacrifice power, dependability, and the rock-solid
widespread support and enthusiasm from everyone involved with the system to
"succeed" because WE ARE SUCCEEDING.

-- Gary F.
(admittedly an elitest S.O.B. and damn proud of it)
--

Linux startup logo??

Post by Juan Molina » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: Uhm, I think you are all missing a crucial point.  The reason for _not_
: showing a bootup image like other lame OS's is so that if something
: bombs you can figure out where it died at during bootup.  If you have
: a cute little image up there and all your kernel messages go by behind
: the scenes and it dies in the middle... you won't know where to start
: to solve the problem.  Linux isn't _supposed_ to be cute.
: If you want cute, get a macintosh.

        I couldn't have said it better myself.  When I was having
        trouble booting win95 (it would hang) I had to call
        customer support (the shame!) in order to be told what the
        problem was.  On a linux system, you always know what the
        problem while booting is because you are being bombarded
        by diagnostics.

--
____   Juan  G.  Molinari   T6C3(0)L3s h-(hb+) d-- a w+ c- y+ e g f t k+ s+ q-

 \/
      Be a better therapist and the world will beat a psychopath to your door.

Linux startup logo??

Post by Jarmo Nie » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Uhm, I think you are all missing a crucial point.  The reason for _not_
>showing a bootup image like other lame OS's is so that if something
>bombs you can figure out where it died at during bootup.  If you have
>a cute little image up there and all your kernel messages go by behind
>the scenes and it dies in the middle... you won't know where to start
>to solve the problem.  Linux isn't _supposed_ to be cute.
>If you want cute, get a macintosh.

And frankly, the boot sequence is quite impressive, at least for a
techno-freak. Maybe one could edit the kernel sources to include a few
"Now starting the turbines" and "IGNITION" "LIFTOFF" ;)
--

Linux startup logo??

Post by Or » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Why not implement a pretty front page screen , and if you
>want the text blurb , so be it at the press of a button!

   Indeed.  Why not implement a pretty front page screen?

   Of course you realize that you'll have to do it yourself, but it
shouldn't be that difficult; almost the first thing the Linux kernel
does is set up the console driver, which _does_ recognise VGA displays;
at that point you should be able to load an image in at will.  You will
need to worry about if you want to turn the image off and let people see
the text again for logging in, or whether to let it sit until xdm kicks
in (and set up a way to escape if the people _aren't_ immediately
launching X), but that's not much of a chore if you want to do
proof-of-concept first.

                 ____

                  \/

Linux startup logo??

Post by Hansel Kw » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>: >: Is there any way to get Linux show at bootup picture (a la Win95 :)
>: >: insted of the system boot upp message
>: >: ( ya' know, Now booting kernel and so on...)??

>: Now now, let's not jump to a hasty conclusion.  I'm sure XDM can be
>: configured to show a big picture on the screen when it comes up.  I

>Now, I have had xdm display things on startup,

BUT you have to boot your kernel, find out what's happening
with the device drivers, loading /etc/rc.d/rc.* ...

BEFORE

xdm will start.

So, you still see these system boot up messages...
If it is just the system boot up messages you are worrying about,
just go through the source code and remove all the calls to
printk.

And please, don't start to make Linux behaves, looks or functions
like M$ products.

Hansel
--
Hansel Kwok                                  Telephone: (0171) 5946309

Linux startup logo??

Post by Robert Mark Wau » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>so user unfriendly.  Why not implement a pretty front page screen , and if you
>want the text blurb , so be it at the press of a button!

>Linux , in my opinion will live or die on it self marketing skills.  It's
>roved itself as an operating system , but it needs to be more appealing to the
>asses , with things like pretty front page pics , and auto configuring setups
>tc.  I know this at the minute isn't exactly a small thing , but maybe someone
>should work on it?

Uhm, UNIX isn't meant to be a user friendly OS on the base levels.  It is
supposed to be a highend network OS and high-end application environment.
User friendly interfaces to UNIX are on a end-user level implemented by
the sysadmin.  The sys admin is supposed to be clueful, not like the general
MS product user.  Also, linux is not a corporate ideal based concept, so
marketing is not a factor.  Functionality, performance, and power are the
root concerns, not how well it sells.  This is the failing for MS products.
It is a user OS, and thus limits itself to be lowend to meet the lowest
common factors only.  This is why MS products are so widely used by lowend
users.  This is the majority of the usership.  In order for Linux to become
a lowend OS, it will have to limit it's power considerably.  This is not
the intent of making free UNIX products.  If you want to make Linux into
a lowend OS, go for it, but, don't make it Linux.  Create a new OS based
on Linux that is lowend.  Don't force real users to adhere to a normal user
model.

 oink.

Linux startup logo??

Post by Chris Hin » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: Uhm, I think you are all missing a crucial point.  The reason for _not_
: showing a bootup image like other lame OS's is so that if something
: bombs you can figure out where it died at during bootup.  If you have
: a cute little image up there and all your kernel messages go by behind
: the scenes and it dies in the middle... you won't know where to start
: to solve the problem.  Linux isn't _supposed_ to be cute.
: If you want cute, get a macintosh.

Actually, I think a little logo at the beginning (while it's figuring
Bogomips and such) would be nifty.... Kinda like a Sparc...

And if you really want annoying, add cp flush.au /dev/audio
to rc.local  :)

Chris Hiner
--

1. xlockmore-logos gives you LinuX logos with xlock

i have uploaded xlockmore-logos to sunsite; it'll be in /pub/Incoming
until it gets moved to its proper place.  see below for description and
location info.

--jim