Can't log in as root, but can su root

Post by Derek E » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up my linux firewall box. I first got it running with
tcp/ip networking. I then added some packages by putting in my linux
mandrake 6.1 boot disk and selecting upgrade (its a lot easier to
satisfy dependencies). The next time I rebooted, I could not log in as
root. It would simply say "login incorrect." I can log in as my normal
user account, then su root. But I can't log into root directly. This
only happened since I used the bootdisk to upgrade the packages.

Can someone please help, I'm very frustrated. Thanks.

Post by David . » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I'm trying to set up my linux firewall box. I first got it running with
> tcp/ip networking. I then added some packages by putting in my linux
> mandrake 6.1 boot disk and selecting upgrade (its a lot easier to
> satisfy dependencies). The next time I rebooted, I could not log in as
> root. It would simply say "login incorrect." I can log in as my normal
> user account, then su root. But I can't log into root directly. This
> only happened since I used the bootdisk to upgrade the packages.

> Can someone please help, I'm very frustrated. Thanks.

Look in /etc/securetty and be sure that all tty's are not commented out.
I would only uncomment "tty1" which should let you log in as root.

ID # 123538

Post by Prasanth A. Kum » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I'm trying to set up my linux firewall box. I first got it running
> with tcp/ip networking. I then added some packages by putting in my
> linux mandrake 6.1 boot disk and selecting upgrade (its a lot easier
> to satisfy dependencies). The next time I rebooted, I could not log
> in as root. It would simply say "login incorrect." I can log in as
> my normal user account, then su root. But I can't log into root
> directly. This only happened since I used the bootdisk to upgrade
> the packages.

> Can someone please help, I'm very frustrated. Thanks.

Make sure the terminals you wish to log into are listed in the file
/etc/securetty. If this is the root of your problem, my guess is that
it is due to this feature of Mandrake install where you can specify
security levels during install which enable and disable certain
features. But that is kind of a guess since I don't use Mandrake
personally.

--
Prasanth Kumar

1. PPP error when only su to root; OK if logged in as root

Good Afternoon!!

    I had encountered a strange problem when running ppp. Logging in as
root and
running ppp-on is OK. However, when I logged in as another user but su
to root,
ppp-on does not work. There is connect script error. I have Redhat Linux
5.1.
Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks

2. Transferring files between Linux boxes

3. differences between su root and su - root

4. Looking for an editor

5. su root: You do not have permission to su root ?

6. zftape driver for Jumbo 250 - need help!

7. Solution: differences between su root and su - root

8. XFree86 3.1.1 and xlock

9. It's not bad canned meat...

10. Can't log on as root, su works

11. What is the difference between 'login: root' and 'su -' ?