Linux and Canon BJ200e

Post by James N Dol » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello, all...

Anybody out there have a good working setup for the bj200e?  I've been
fighting with it for a couple weeks now, and have very little to show (well, I
can print ASCII).  I've tried several different filters, and different
gs setups, but still can't print anything postscript.  It's annoying to have
to go into Win95 to do any sort of nice-looking printing.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and by the way...I have already RTFM, but
nothing I've tried has worked.

Thanks,
Jim
| James N. Dolas, III  | Purdue University, School of ECE    | Cynicism with |

Linux and Canon BJ200e

Post by Eric Berengui » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello ! :)

: Anybody out there have a good working setup for the bj200e?  I've been
: fighting with it for a couple weeks now, and have very little to show (well, I
: can print ASCII).  I've tried several different filters, and different
: gs setups, but still can't print anything postscript.  It's annoying to have
: to go into Win95 to do any sort of nice-looking printing.  Any help would
: be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and by the way...I have already RTFM, but
: nothing I've tried has worked.

all is in printcap & gs man pages!

I've got a bj-200 (without the "e", but it shouldn't be very different)
and it works great :)

my printcap:
lp|bj|bj200|canon|Canon BJ200:\
        :mx#=0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lp/spool:\
        :pw#80:sh:

lp1|ps|bjps|bj200ps|Canon BJ200 Postscript:\
        :mx#=0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lp1/spool:\
        :of=/usr/local/bin/bjps:\
        :pw#80:sh:

and the filter it uses: (called /usr/local/bin/bjps in my printcap)
#! /bin/sh
gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -dNOPAUSE -q -sOutputFile=- -

to use it:  lpr -Pps file.ps

all of this works with the very old gs included with slackware
and with gs 4.03.

Have fun with your BJ-200 :)

--

   Supelec - Residence des eleves - 91192 Gif sur Yvette - 01 69 85 50 16
                   http://hal.rez-gif.supelec.fr/~eric

Linux and Canon BJ200e

Post by hymi » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

And lo, there was much rejoicing among the people, for thus spake

Quote:>Anybody out there have a good working setup for the bj200e?
>I've tried several different filters, and different
>gs setups, but still can't print anything postscript.

I couldn't get filters to work; then again, I couldn't get lpd to work
right.  I do, however, have a program called /etc/postscript that says:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/gs -q -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=bj200 -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 -

and a default output for dvips in /usr/TeX/lib/tex/ps/config.ps as

o !/etc/postscript

======Unsolicited=commercial=e-mail=spam=will=be=forwarded=to=postmasters======
I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potato,
A big Kosher pickle and a cold draft beer.
Good God Almighty! Which way do I steer?                         --Jimmy Buffet

Linux and Canon BJ200e

Post by Alan Jarvi » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Anybody out there have a good working setup for the bj200e?  I've been
> fighting with it for a couple weeks now, and have very little to show (well, I
> can print ASCII).  I've tried several different filters, and different
> gs setups, but still can't print anything postscript.  It's annoying to have
> to go into Win95 to do any sort of nice-looking printing.  Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and by the way...I have already RTFM, but
> nothing I've tried has worked.

Hi,

I have a bj200ex and am using apsfilter. I don't know if you've
tried it. The install routine asks you a few questions and then
pretty much installs itself. BTW, when the install script asks
what kind of printer you have it can list all that are
compatible with ghostscript, choose bj200 and you *should* be
set.

Hope this helps, Alan.

--

Linux and Canon BJ200e

Post by Jon Sundquis » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Hello, all...

> Anybody out there have a good working setup for the bj200e?  I've been
> fighting with it for a couple weeks now, and have very little to show (well, I
> can print ASCII).  I've tried several different filters, and different
> gs setups, but still can't print anything postscript.  It's annoying to have
> to go into Win95 to do any sort of nice-looking printing.  Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and by the way...I have already RTFM, but
> nothing I've tried has worked.

Actually, when I RTFM'd (the printing HOW-TO), I saw it told me to get
apsfilter.* from sunsite.  I did, and it works great.  It's basically a
shell script that asks you a bunch of questions and writes your
/etc/printcap file for you, as well as providing the filters (actually a
bunch of symlinks to one big filter that handles everthing).  It also
puts in a couple of programs that the filter uses.  I think I had some
problems compiling the a2ps module, so you might have to do this by hand
(which is trivial, just switch to the src directory, then make, make
install, make clean; don't know why it failed in the script).  It didn't
quite work right the first time, but it didn't take me very long to work
out a couple of small bugs.  BTW, this was with a bjc600, but things
should be similar for you.  I just had to get the non-GNU ghostscript
3.53 (the latest at the time, its now up to 4.* something) to compile in
bjc600 support into gs.  bj200 is in the GNU gs, however.

As for nice looking printing, the gs tiger looked awesome!

Jon Sundquist

Linux and Canon BJ200e

Post by Felipe Rguez. Maz » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> Anybody out there have a good working setup for the bj200e?  I've been
>> fighting with it for a couple weeks now, and have very little to show (well, I
>> can print ASCII).  I've tried several different filters, and different
>> gs setups, but still can't print anything postscript.  It's annoying to have
>> to go into Win95 to do any sort of nice-looking printing.  Any help would
>> be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and by the way...I have already RTFM, but
>> nothing I've tried has worked.
>Hi,
>I have a bj200ex and am using apsfilter. I don't know if you've
>tried it. The install routine asks you a few questions and then
>pretty much installs itself. BTW, when the install script asks
>what kind of printer you have it can list all that are
>compatible with ghostscript, choose bj200 and you *should* be
>set.
>Hope this helps, Alan.
>--

Or perhaps:
 gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -r360x360 -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 myfile.ps
for example; if you have instaled Ghost-script. There are more
interesting options.

1. Canon BJ200e + gs = problem

I'm using ghostscript to print .ps files to my BJ200e printer using the
BJ200 driver.  The graphics look great, but the line spacing is too big,
leaving white gaps in the output.

I tried setting the line spacing to 8/72 inches by sending the appropriate
commands to the printer before each file
  ie. ESC + "A" + CHR(8) + CHR(27) + "2"
but that had no effect.  I'm guessing gs must explicitly set the line
spacing itself, overriding what I set it to.

I've read the faqs, howtos, newsgroups... but found nothing that would
work.

Here's my printcap file:
  lp: \
    :lp=/dev/lp1: \
    :sd=/usr/spool/lp1: \
    :lf=/usr/spool/lp1/errs: \
    :if=/usr/spool/lpd/ps/ps2bj200.if \
    :mx#0: \
    :sh: \
    :sf:

This is my input filter:
  #!/bin/sh
  /usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r300 -sDEVICE=bj200 \
              -sOutputFile=- -

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance...

Don Carter.
St Disclaimer: I don't speak for BNR, and BNR doesn't speak for me.

2. Where to get gopher clients for linux/Xwindow

3. installing a canon bj200e

4. LINUX NEWBIE, NEED INFO

5. How can I use my Canon BJ200e with SCO open server 5?

6. Modem; prompt but no typing.

7. Solaris 2.4 x86 & canon bj200e

8. XF86Config for Gateway 2000

9. Print PostScript on Canon BJ200e

10. Canon BJ200e

11. Canon BJ200e - Caldera 2.2

12. Canon BJ200e ghostscript driver

13. Canon BJ-10ex vs Canon BJ-200e (Linux/DOS support, Postscript files)