GUS trouble under Linux

Post by C. Montgome » Sun, 28 May 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I finally outgrew my little Soundblaster16 Basic, and the 16 bit DMA on my
motherboard is flaky (at best) to begin with.  So, purchased a GUS MAX, and set
it up to use 8 bit DMA, thus making my machine happy.

I've got troubles though, and they seem to be the kind due only to lack of
enlightenment.  Perhaps some kind soul can help.

First off; I have no access to the GUS's internal mixer, other than DSP and FM
volume.  I'm using xmix, and it does not give me access to balance, CD-ROM,
line-in, etc.  I read the GUS MAX driver source in the kernal, and these features
do seem to be supported by the kernel.  Do I simply need a different mixer app?
If so, which one?  Also, I have a SCSI CDROM, but I piped the audio out into the
GUS's CDROM line in.  That shouldn't cause a problem, but I can't get any sound
when the SCSI drive plays an audio CD.

Also, I have sample/playback problem with the GUS which sounds more like a Linux
problem; For the first 15s or so of sample/playback, the right channel is
garbled.  After the first part, sample/playback is flawless, even when the
system/disk is under heavy load (this is not a throughput problem).  Am I missing
a kernel patch or option?

I'm also sending a cry for help to Hannu; author of VoxWare (the kernel sources
that support the GUS under Linux).

Any help is appreciated,

Monty

1. Simultaneous recordng and playback on GUS 3.7 (no GUS MAX)

I have just configured Voxware 3.0 and I noticed there was support
for two DMA's for the GUS driver.  I would like to use a audio
conferencing application with my GUS 3.7 that needs simultaneous
sampling and playback.  Can the two DMA support in Voxware 3.0
GUS driver be used for playback and recording?

Thank you

Daniel Marks

2. XWindows without mouse

3. pmod, GUS, Voxware and /dev/gus

4. Solaris VS Linux

5. GUS + BusLogic BT-445S + STB Pegasus + DX2/66 + 256 kB cache = trouble

6. problems with solstice host manager

7. GUS Extreme setup trouble

8. iptables: 127.0.0.1 != lo

9. More@!!.. Panasonic/SB-CD troubles, trouble, trouble...

10. Trouble, trouble, trouble - SCSI ?

11. Linux and GUS solution

12. GUS PnP & Linux

13. Misplaced interrupts with Linux+GUS?